Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

skydish79 wrote: »
    Rte reporting the following from Jim Brown
    Several weeks before things will be fully back to normal

tens of millions in compensations

Nobody has left the bank - eh because we cant

Any word on how those compensations would be made? Still only in ways of "free banking/fees" - or are we staring to talk hard cash by this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

skydish79 wrote: »
    Rte reporting the following from Jim Brown
    Several weeks before things will be fully back to normal

tens of millions in compensations

Nobody has left the bank
    Not yet Jim, not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, they wouldn't know if customers have / haven't left as their systems are a mess and also it's unlikely that people will actually immediately close accounts. Rather, they'd just start banking elsewhere.

I know I have old bank accounts with AIB that I rarely use. They don't cost me much to keep open as there are no transactions going through them. Always handy to have a 2nd bank account though. For example, if I'm abroad, I bring the AIB card and keep it hidden in a case. If there's a problem e.g. I had my wallet stolen, I know I can always zap money in from my main bank account and use the old account within 24-48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fintaneduffy

i have yet to hear from anybody whose account is back to normal as from today, mine certainly isn't, with double transactions like everyone else not rectified yet.
    surely UB know about this so why post an update saying

All of our systems are now running as normal in the timeframes we would expect and normal service has been restored for the majority of our customers

when clearly the majority of customers if not all have not been restored...
    phone lines still engaged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Just checked my account online.

I got an extra weeks wages lodged this morning:D

looks like a double up from the one from the first week of the problem.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »

Mr Brown said that while its systems are now running normally, there are problems with some unprocessed and duplicated transactions.

He said it would take some weeks to reconcile accounts fully and he could not put a finer timeframe on this.

looks like we're into cristmas to ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Akvavit wrote: »
    Any word on how those compensations would be made? Still only in ways of "free banking/fees" - or are we staring to talk hard cash by this point?

It seems to be more than just gettin back fees

However if there are 600,000 direct UB customers plus all those of other banks - tens of millions shared out amongst them wont amount to a whole lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

havent been paid, have duplicated transactions on the account, no record of if my DDs have gone out at all.

if this is their version of some issues with a small number of payments, then i cant see how its different to last week. Unless they are lying to me.

Well, a couple of things need to be gotten straight first.

1) Returning Ulster Bank fees is just correcting accounting errors. There's no money being paid to customers for that as the fees were generated in error.

2) Returning other bank's / utility's late fees is actually compensation to other banks / utilities who were inconvenienced not to customers.

To compensate customers, they're going to have to do something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

For all those who wish to move their account away from UB. Be aware you need to do this manually, by setting up a new account and informing your DD originators of your new details. There is no point in using the new bank's automatic switching service.

Automatic switching involves your new bank contacting UB and asking them to switch you to them. It is UB who have to do all the work, they have to write to all your DD originators and ask them to change your DD details. UB then have to close your account and transfer your money to your new bank.

Seeing as how they can't even tell you your own account balance, how do you think they will get on with writing several letters and then transferring your account. It would be much safer for you to do it yourself. Even if you don't feel confident about it, I'll bet you make a better job of it than UB will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mr Brown said that while its systems are now running normally, there are problems with some unprocessed and duplicated transactions.

He said it would take some weeks to reconcile accounts fully and he could not put a finer timeframe on this.

looks like we're into cristmas to ha ha

The thing is, that - apart from duplicate transaction - there are people out there who got their week wages on time last week, but didn't get paid last Friday???
    This isn't about a backlog this time, this is new level of problems, and UB doesn't seem to be back in the business for another few days/weeks.

SOME WEEKS TO RECONCILE (do they mean credit the money that were due last month???) ACCOUNTS? I don't even want to comment on that.
    And, as for their promise to get everyone sorted by the week of 16/07 - good job...
    Now we don't even know when it all ends.
    Happy to spend my day off to make few phonecalls to providers changing direct debits/standing orders. No way i will go back to them, they failed big time...

Sorry for the rant, but nothing else than this to post so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I'm going to switch only after I see how substantial will be their compensation: depending on that I will make my choice.

UB you are warned! :)

wonski wrote: »
    Happy to spend my day off to make few phonecalls to providers changing direct debits/standing orders.

You don't need to take a day off. Most of it can be done online / over the phone after business hours or by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

My last week wage on 13th friday has not come through.they not able to tell when will i get it

Solair wrote: »
    You don't need to take a day off. Most of it can be done online / over the phone after business hours or by post.

I don't take day off for this only. Off from work today, so just get all this sorted as i have time to do this.

But you are totally right, it is not such a hassle, few phonecalls/online forms, bins to be done by post. Easy to do it in less than an hour.

As someone posted before - better do it yourself rather as new bank will have to rely on UB to do a switchover.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

So everything on my account looked pretty much ok on Friday, so I rang and asked would it be ok to get my pay sent to my UB account for this week as I had it sent elsewhere for a couple of weeks, I was told the system was running perfectly and I would definitely receive my money on Thursday this week.

I'm looking forward to Thursday now to see the state the system is in.

KeithTS wrote: »
    So everything on my account looked pretty much ok on Friday, so I rang and asked would it be ok to get my pay sent to my UB account for this week as I had it sent elsewhere for a couple of weeks, I was told the system was running perfectly and I would definitely receive my money on Thursday this week.

I'm looking forward to Thursday now to see the state the system is in.

I hope you get it on time, but friend of mine didn't get his Friday wage so far...Seems lke their system is not as perfect as they think it is...
    UB are either liars, or have no clue what is going on.

its amazing how this mess up has affected everybody differently,

some have not got paid on time or at all,
    some have had missed direct debits/fees
    some have had double transactions etc

some people have only had a few problems, some more problematic.

personally, i think my direct debits have come out and i have got paid on time but iv only the issue of double transactions practically cleaning out my account., so why has it been different for each customer.

i recon that UB staff have not been updated on the problem, so they pretty know about as much as we do, the problem lies with management, and heads should roll for this mess up

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Yeah I'm not too hopefull about getting it, if I don't though it does show how irresponsible either the staff or whoever is feeding them their lines is though as it would have been easy for them to say that it'd be best if I get it sent elsewhere for the time being just to be sure.

My own fault for having any faith in them at this stage I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

its amazing how this mess up has affected everybody differently,

some have not got paid on time or at all,
    some have had missed direct debits/fees
    some have had double transactions etc

some people have only had a few problems, some more problematic.

personally, i think my direct debits have come out and i have got paid on time but iv only the issue of double transactions practically cleaning out my account., so why has it been different for each customer.

i recon that UB staff have not been updated on the problem, so they pretty know about as much as we do, the problem lies with management, and heads should roll for this mess up

I was pretty much okay until duplicate DDs on Friday. June DDs were late showing up but otherwise seemed okay.

KeithTS wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not too hopefull about getting it, if I don't though it does show how irresponsible either the staff or whoever is feeding them their lines is though as it would have been easy for them to say that it'd be best if I get it sent elsewhere for the time being just to be sure.

My own fault for having any faith in them at this stage I guess

I was told i will get the money today. I didn't get any. I can't trust them anymore. In any other country there would be heads cut off as a result of this. CEO's, and managing Directors are untouched so far.
    I wish them all the best this year, hope their bonus will be good enough to cover all the stress they had to go through, managing extra hours/recruitment, and keeping all of this ****e low profile for press and public in general.

ESB, Bord Gais, Three Ireland, these Direct Debits can be done by logging into your account online, it takes minutes. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of the other suppliers & providers.

Anything else like Car Insurance etc. should just take a phone call. That's the entire procedure of changing Direct Debits over to a new account, nowhere near a day's work, 15mins maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One of the latest alternative reality check from UB...(from Anytime)
    **NEW**
    All of our systems are now running as normal in the timeframes we would expect and normal service has been restored for the majority of our customers. Given the scale of the incident, the clean up continues and a small percentage of outstanding transactions are being processed over the next couple of days. There is no doubt that there will be reconciliations to some customer accounts that also need to take place over the coming days and weeks. However, for the majority of customers it is now business as usual.
    To find answers to key questions visit our Help Point.
    Please remember, we will never contact you and ask you to provide your full PIN and Password. If you are ever asked for these details, please contact us.
    Once again we would like to unreservedly apologise.
    • Except for duplicate debit transactions that are being reported by nearly every poster here
    • Except account credits and payments still not being updated on a daily basis
    • Still no credible explanation why UB customers were left to sink whilst NW & RBS customers were looked after relatrively quickly
    It is lincreasingly looking like that UB are using some false accounting here ie retaining unprocessed customer payments and doubling customer withdrawels to maintain a virtual but false balance in the banks favour......
    How much longer can they keep this charade up I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Akvavit wrote: »

I doubt extra money (compensation) will just magically appear in our accounts one day. I would assume their compensation plan is to refund "out of pocket" expenses and fees and then for people who were seriously inconvenienced (like missing holidays etc) can apply for compensation. It is not just going to be handed to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

The Indo is now reporting that UB has now pulled back on earlier timescale on customer compensation. Ah sure aren't we well used to them constantly changing timescales in this whole debacle. Can't post link as im on the phone, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

"Mr Brown said that so far, no customers had left the bank and balances have remained flat."

Of course we haven't left, your system won't let us.

Balances remained flat, I find that hard to believe. I, for one, removed my savings last week. However I still can't get the interest on this savings account because your system can't shut it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Monife wrote: »
    I doubt extra money (compensation) will just magically appear in our accounts one day. I would assume their compensation plan is to refund "out of pocket" expenses and fees and then for people who were seriously inconvenienced (like missing holidays etc) can apply for compensation. It is not just going to be handed to people.
    Any compo will have to be demanded by the customer. They are not going to make ex gratia payments to each account automatically.

Get writing your complaints folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I just rang my branch to report a duplicate transaction. 30 mins on hold and when I finally get to talk to someone I say "I would like to report a duplicate transaction on my account" and I get cut off (or maybe she hung up).

Not happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement