Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If I write a complaint letter, can I send it straight to the customer relations manager, at the address on the website. Or do I have to post it to my branch manager first?

Surely they realise theres no point writing to a branch manager as they pretty much have sod all to do with this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm waiting until I'm sure all my transactions are in order and my savings account interest is paid then I'm moving all my savings, my credit card and future business. They can hold onto onto my mortgage given that they're already losing money on it.

Most importantly I'll be opening a formal complaint explaining this and telling everyone I know what I'm doing and why. They genuinely deserve an outflow of capital due to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If I write a complaint letter, can I send it straight to the customer relations manager, at the address on the website. Or do I have to post it to my branch manager first?

Surely they realise theres no point writing to a branch manager as they pretty much have sod all to do with this mess.
    Send it to head office. Demand a final response letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DJLJ

Páid wrote: »
    I just rang my branch to report a duplicate transaction. 30 mins on hold and when I finally get to talk to someone I say "I would like to report a duplicate transaction on my account" and I get cut off (or maybe she hung up).

Not happy.

I was on hold for 20 mins before I gave up. Got in the car, drove to the nearest UB Branch and lodged a formal complaint.

DJLJ wrote: »
    I was on hold for 20 mins before I gave up. Got in the car, drove to the nearest UB Branch and lodged a formal complaint.
    In writing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 DJLJ

In writing?
    Yes, said I wanted a receipt for handing it in and wanted it put onto my file, that I had made a formal complaint. I don't trust they would do otherwise.

Was going to do it anyway, when this whole sorry mess finally at some point is behind us, but getting hit with a Second mortgage withdrawal yesterday and waiting for 20 mins on the phone this morning was what made me snap in the end and hand it in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

Wrote a letter of complaint 3 days after the story first broke as my pay had n't appeared....and heard RBS were sorted.Wrote to HO and actually praised the local branch staff who have been very good in all of this....................got a reply back today plus a Customer Service leaflet!!!! The letter said that they were investigating my complaint and would be in touch again...IN 10 WORKING DAYS!
    Little do the HO fcukers know but they will have another letter of complaint to deal with tomorrow as my pay was 3 weeks late,had to borrow and missed out on a holiday as a result of their cock-up and am waiting for various updates on a/c yet:mad::mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I did the same. Sent a formal complaint to customerrelations at ulsterbank dot com. Got the leaflet and the letter acknowledging complaint and promising a resolution in 10 working days. That was over 2 weeks ago.
    The case handler has been onto me though over the phone.
    I just deal with him direct now about my duplicate queries rather than being on hold for 20+ minutes on the general line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I think the Irish Times spells it out well in their article:

"ULSTER BANK customers can breathe a sigh of relief: the bank’s IT “glitch” will finally be resolved today. Or will it? The bank’s official statement on the matter is so riddled with get-out clauses as to offer no real commitment – and no doubt this is deliberate.
    The bank “expects” (but doesn’t guarantee) that the “vast majority” of customers (not all) will return to a normal service by the week beginning July 16th (which actually gives them until this weekend)."

The majority of the media seem to have become, dare i say it, "repeaters", so it's good to see some journalists can read between the lines and not just quote what UB says on it's website!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0716/1224320205128.html?via=rel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I can only assume that most journalists don't bank with Ulster Bank :D The lack of coverage of this (until very recently) has been quite shocking.
    This is a really big and on-going story hitting very large numbers of people on both sides of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

UB must have friends in all the right places tbh. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The vast majority of the media probably have more than 1 or 2k in their accounts and therefore probably had much higher priority of being sorted out than average Joe here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Achilles wrote: »
    The vast majority of the media probably have more than 1 or 2k in their accounts and therefore probably had much higher priority of being sorted out than average Joe here...

You've clearly never worked in the media :D

A small % at the top of the tree earn a lot, most media employees are on really bad terms of employment, low wages, and barely make ends meet. A lot of the time they're expected to do work for free as it's seen as a vocation rather than a job and there's always a queue of over-enthusiastic energetic 'interns' willing to do your job for free. (and I do not mean via the Fas schemes, I mean really for free!)

It's not a particularly well-paid industry unless you're a 'star'.

Back on track though!

I think it's more likely that newsrooms simply don't have the resources to go out interviewing customers. They're just interviewing the bank itself which is feeding them the PR line.
    RTE could do a much better job of covering this though.

100gSoma wrote: »
    I did the same. Sent a formal complaint to customerrelations at ulsterbank dot com. Got the leaflet and the letter acknowledging complaint and promising a resolution in 10 working days. That was over 2 weeks ago.
    The case handler has been onto me though over the phone.
    I just deal with him direct now about my duplicate queries rather than being on hold for 20+ minutes on the general line.

Does the leaflet relate to this "glitch" or is it a standard complaints leaflet. Reason i ask is i lodged a complaint via email to my own branch relating to them messing up my a/c switching and all i received was an email back first saying that i could call in branch to go through all the DDs that were meant to be moved or they would send me a form, i told them id do it myself and they just said they would log my "concern". So i don't know if that is it now, complaint closed as far as they are concerned or is that just the start of the complaints procedure?

You have to request a final response letter, otherwise that is the end as far as they are concerned.

You have to request a final response letter, otherwise that is the end as far as they are concerned.

Thanks. Is there anything specific i have to put in the email when i request a final response letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Such a pity that Primetime is on a break for the summer. That's the perfect place to expose the lies. They need to bring back Prime Time Investigates as well, even though they axed it. Talk to the IT staff they made redundant and some current RBS staff in Edinburgh (anonymously) for the truth. The truth about the mistake being made in India will come out then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Duplicate transactions will be fixed in a few days... or weeks! Ha, I wasn't already waiting three weeks being told today would be the day it'd be fixed. The disputes department can now see the transactions but they only appear once on their screens... What hope is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Solair wrote: »
    Achilles wrote: »

You've clearly never worked in the media :D

A small % at the top of the tree earn a lot, most media employees are on really bad terms of employment, low wages, and barely make ends meet. A lot of the time they're expected to do work for free as it's seen as a vocation rather than a job and there's always a queue of over-enthusiastic energetic 'interns' willing to do your job for free. (and I do not mean via the Fas schemes, I mean really for free!)

It's not a particularly well-paid industry unless you're a 'star'.

Back on track though!
    I was being a tad facetious actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

Still having problems with an EFT which my employer tells me was sent to me on Jun 20th. Hasn't yet appeared on my account. Called into branch and staff cannot help me other than to tell me to check tomorrow.

Result is that account is gone overdrawn, UB are now bouncing my SOs and DDs and charging me for the privilege of doing so. It's only a matter of time now until my payees lose patience.

Surely they have done enough to have their banking licence revolked by the regulator. I thought these people are there to protect us, instead they are hiding under their desks not saying anything. If they won't act, they are unnecessary and should be put out on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ruggerbugger1

Is everyone going to get compensation or what?

No. Only those that demand it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was told that they're only honouring dd missed payements up until the 11th of July, but with them messing up again with double transactions they better extend it or I'll have them in small claims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Under normal circumstances you'd be far more likely to get satisfaction from your branch than any head office customer services forked tongue type who are highly trained to spew out empathetic jargon that says absolutly nothing (We understand your concern and we have investigated la la la and we fully accept la la la and we deeply regret la lal la and we will be ensuring la la la now pi55 off and dont be bothering me with your petty concerns la la la.)

Anyway if you think it is worth the price of a stamp, the complaints procedure as they would like you to do it is detailed here (follow the links to step through it)
    http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/complain.ashx

For my money your better off addressing it to:
    Company Secretary
    Ulster Bank Ireland Limited
    Ulster Bank Group Centre
    Georges Quay
    Dublin 2
    You might also like to mention to them that if your "concern" isn't addressed promptly you will be minded to issue them with a full disclosure request under the terms of the (Irish) Data Protection Acts of 1998 and 2003 as amended. This generates an awful lot of work for them which they must complete within 40 days and so they might be encouraged to resolve yout "concern" promptly. (If you do decide to make a Data Protection request the broad details are here http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2d.htm&CatID=17&m=r and be sure to include a cheque or postal order for €6.35.)

Apologies if this was posted previously:

http://group.ulsterbank.com/media/press-releases/republic-of-ireland/2012/16-07-12.ashx
    Media Statement: 16 July 2012

Jim Brown Chief Executive, Ulster Bank;

All of our systems are running as normal this morning in the timeframes we would expect and normal service has now been restored for the majority of our customers. Given the scale of the incident, the clean up continues and a small percentage of outstanding transactions are being processed over the next couple of days. There is no doubt that there will be reconciliations to some customer accounts that also need to take place over the coming days and weeks. However, for the majority of customers it is now business as usual.

As normal service resumes for our customers, we are beginning the job of ensuring that customers who have been adversely impacted by this issue are put back to where they would have been had this problem not occurred. The following four principles are guiding what we will do:

1) Refunding fees & charges:
    We will fully refund all fees and charges* incurred by Ulster Bank customers or customers of other banks as a result of this issue. Fees and charges directly under our control will be reversed automatically and we have already started this process. We are working closely with other banks to put a similar process in place.

2) Out of pocket expenses:
    No customer will be out of pocket as a result of this issue. For customers wishing to make a claim for any out-of-pocket* expenses incurred, we will launch a comprehensive process shortly so anyone impacted will fully understand how to progress any claims they may have as a result of this issue.

3) Credit ratings:
    We know that this is a significant concern for customers and we are working with the credit reference agencies to ensure that no customer's credit rating is affected as a result of this incident.

4) Recognition of inconvenience caused:
    We understand that this issue has caused significant and unacceptable disruption and we are introducing a range of measures to recognise the impact it has had on customers' day-to-day banking needs. We are currently consulting with regulators and consumer groups and will be in a position to communicate further details shortly.

Our dedicated helpdesk remains open 8am to 10pm to take your call on 0800 231232 / 1800 205 100. If you are calling from abroad, please call +4428 90843556 / +353 9156 2910.

I apologise unreservedly to our customers for the inconvenience we have caused to them as a result of this unprecedented incident and thank them for their continued patience. Our priority throughout has been on resolving this for our customers and helping those affected.

* Notes to editors:

Fees and Charges include:
    - Overdraft fees (both for being overdrawn or exceeding your limit)
    - Overdraft interest
    - Late payment fees and interest on mortgages, loans and credit cards
    - Interest wrongly charged on late payments.

Customers will also get lost interest back, such as:
    - Missing savings or current account interest where money paid in was delayed arriving. When put right, interest will be awarded as if all credits were made on 19 June
    - Missing savings interest where customers had to withdraw cash where wages were not paid

Out of pocket expenses will be dealt with on a case by case basis

Anybody who saw this lady (Susan Allen, RBS Director of Customer Services and at various times RBS Spokeswoman) on TV in the early days of the glitch will remember a strong almost gung-ho approach in some of the interviews.

Marked change in demeanour in her latest performance
    http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/help-and-support.ashx

Sounds like she has been spending time on the naughty step, and doing the "advanced appearing contrite and exuding empathy" training module.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wrote a letter of formal complaint today and posted it to my branch manager and CC'd it to :
    • UB Head Office, georges Quay
    • Financial Regulator, Central Bank
    • Financial Ombudsman, Lincoln Place

No point going near the FSO until UB issue a final response letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Account still all over the place double direct debits, the child on the phone today "thinks" they should be gone in a couple of day's as they can see some of them now. :eek::eek:

Got credit card statement and was charged interest, lost the plot asked to speak to supervisor she reversed charges and gave me next two months interest free.

Must say the media have taken the bait from UB saying everything is fine . Ulsterbank are a pack of liars, and are taking the Irish for a bunch of fools.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

My brother's wages due June 21 finally arrived today. He banks with UB.

So does his employer. The employer made the transfer on Bankline 20 June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement