Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

seemly UB will have forms online for filling in any 3rd party fees or charges occured during this fiasco!

I was told they might be available yesterday or today. anybody else hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

100gSoma wrote: »
    Thats easy Jim.brown at ulsterbank dot com
    Tried that... we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

my atm duplicates disappeared this morning.

i went down in person to the branch yesterday and lodged a formal complaint.

dont know if this somehow sped up the process or just a coincidence??

Coincidence I guess. Mine finally got fixed this morning too, after been on the account since the 26th...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Has anyone had their POS/ATM duplicates correct yet? I'm tempted to head down to the branch but if I don't get anywhere then I can't really be bothered. First POS transaction went through last night with correct balances. At least that is something.

I went to the branch. They just fob you off with the party line.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

anyone have a bog standard compliant letter suitable for the situation, when it comes to writing one i cant stop it ending up as a rant, about bills not paid extra charges etc....

tks
    neonitrix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just bullet point everything. It usually avoids ranting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Direct debits that look like they've been bounced
    - They've been paid if the originator was non-UB and the debit will be processed shortly
    - They've been bounced if the originator was a UB client. You'll have to get it re-presented.

Cheques that look like they've been bounced
    - They've been paid if negotiated in a non-UB bank and the debit will be processed shortly
    - They've been bounced if negotiated in UB. You'll have to get it re-presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sure where wud u be going

hi all, sorry if this is in wrong section but honestly couldn't find anywhere else to put it.
    well the story goes that during the recent IT glitch i went with my payslip and id to get paid in branch as my wages had not been updated. this all went well and a few days later i checked an atm machine and the balance now had updated that my wages were in but had not updated the fact that i had already withdrawn my wages. i then decided to withdraw the money every day. i haven't spent any of it and put it all away as i know its wrong what i done but im not sure what to do now. currently my bank is ****dr and they are probably expecting my next months wages to come in and clear it but iv switched banks and also told payroll my new bank account and cancelled all direct debits and swithed to new bank also. im interested to know what repurcussions can arise from this as technically iv done nothing wrong and its ulster banks own fault, although thinking as a competent person i knew exactly what i was at and why it was happening. and whats every else' moral views on what iv done, im normally law abiding but i take the view its the banks that have us in this mess and its there own fault with the mess they have put some people in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

A cash withdrawal I made with my payslip and drivers licence hasnt turned up on their systems. I wish I'd taken out 50 grand now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

You have taken advantage of the situation.

When the dust settles they will pursue you for repayment.

Expect a f*cked up ICB as a result.

People need to take responsibility for their own decisions / actions. Nobody forced anybody to borrow money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So basically you withdrew twice your wages, taking advantages of (I presume) Ulster Bank's technical problems? Something like this happened recently at BoI ATMs. They couldn't retrieve peoples' balances and so gave out a certain amount of money on good faith. Many people thought they had been given free money, but they just had to pay the bank back eventually.

It will be spotted once the problems are ironed out. My advice would be to not delay in paying your debt once you can get the up-to-date balance. At the very least staying in overdraft so long will affect your credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I am not going to get into the morals of it as you know full well what you have done. Plain and simple, its stealing and are screwing up your credit rating. It will stick with you like **** to a blanket.

Put it back asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

No effect to ICB as current accounts do not get recorded. Only credit agreements. However debt will be sought to be paid and legally owing. As mentioned something recently happened at BOI ATMs and its very clear. You know you were wrong. They are very much entitled to take you to court and you can defend the matter their, judge will most likely side with the bank as you continued to withdraw funds and moved banks. Its very obvious to them what you done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

im interested to know what repurcussions can arise from this as technically iv done nothing wrong and its ulster banks own fault, although thinking as a competent person i knew exactly what i was at and why it was happening. and whats every else' moral views on what iv done, im normally law abiding but i take the view its the banks that have us in this mess and its there own fault with the mess they have put some people in.

You withdrew money that you knew was not yours to take, so there is no "technically" about it, you did do something wrong - what you did could be classed as theft or perhaps fraud.
    If, as you claim, you haven't spent it you should go in to the bank and pay it back asap

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

what repurcussions can arise from this

They'll try and get their money back. It will be interesting to see what steps they will take. Keep us posted (as long as you are a free man with internet access) :p
    whats every else' moral views on what iv done

Morally it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

hi all, sorry if this is in wrong section but honestly couldn't find anywhere else to put it.
    well the story goes that during the recent IT glitch i went with my payslip and id to get paid in branch as my wages had not been updated. this all went well and a few days later i checked an atm machine and the balance now had updated that my wages were in but had not updated the fact that i had already withdrawn my wages. i then decided to withdraw the money every day. i haven't spent any of it and put it all away as i know its wrong what i done but im not sure what to do now. currently my bank is ****dr and they are probably expecting my next months wages to come in and clear it but iv switched banks and also told payroll my new bank account and cancelled all direct debits and swithed to new bank also. im interested to know what repurcussions can arise from this as technically iv done nothing wrong and its ulster banks own fault, although thinking as a competent person i knew exactly what i was at and why it was happening. and whats every else' moral views on what iv done, im normally law abiding but i take the view its the banks that have us in this mess and its there own fault with the mess they have put some people in.

you are stealing, return the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

Still no sight of last weeks pay, however todays pay went in just fine - could one expect this is still due to the backlog? Or should I start making noise towards the bank again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Akvavit wrote: »
    Still no sight of last weeks pay, however todays pay went in just fine - could one expect this is still due to the backlog? Or should I start making noise towards the bank again?

Keep making noise,

Co-incidently, when can we start asking for all our missed DD payments to be refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My account is now back to ZERO. Can I actually close my account now? Or are we still trapped in some mysterious void where we cannot close an account?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Account back to normal now. Had a duplicate ATM withdrawal but it has fixed itself this morning "ATM CONTRA 03/07" and a credit of €60. I hadn't rang about this duplicate (yet, I was waiting until Friday).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I was due to get paid today and it came through. One direct debit that hadn't gone out went this morning too.

I only have one duplicate transaction for a POS withdrawal left and my account should be back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Account back to normal now. Had a duplicate ATM withdrawal but it has fixed itself this morning "ATM CONTRA 03/07" and a credit of €60. I hadn't rang about this duplicate (yet, I was waiting until Friday).

I had this myself.. but it was from June 21st!

I called numerous times o be told wait wait wait. Eventually i got more info from my branch and they lodged at ATM dispute (As she was udner the impression it was outside the 'glitch'.) Seems it was all for nothing now since it got returned with everyone else.

Luckily i am back up to date but i will still be examining my account with a fine tooth comb for many weeks as a result. I just changed to ulster bank so dont know if i am bothered (I know im a fool) to change again.

All depends on how this months wages goes. If its OK ill give it a go. I was one of the lucky few who didnt have many SO's and debits etc so i wasnt TOO badly affected.

Still hate the b****rds though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

pay them back a fiver a week and theyll have to expect it :D uve sum balls to do it im overdrawn still and gotta wit for this to sort out before i can touch last weeks and this weeks wages and i also lost out on a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi guys, haven't been following this thread at all and it's a lot to read through so would appreciate if anyone in the know could let me know if things are back to normal now and it's safe to use Ulster bank again? I only use it for the Visa Debit and need to load my card for a purchase so just wondering will I encounter and possible delays or problems in doing so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

cormie wrote: »
    Hi guys, haven't been following this thread at all and it's a lot to read through so would appreciate if anyone in the know could let me know if things are back to normal now and it's safe to use Ulster bank again? I only use it for the Visa Debit and need to load my card for a purchase so just wondering will I encounter and possible delays or problems in doing so?

I don't really think anyone can conclusively answer that at present.
    It might work fine or your transaction could get delayed or screwed up! Nobody's sure.

Consider using a different bank. PTSB and Bank of Ireland also do visa debits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I know UB messed up big time but I've never had any problems with them so would hope that remains the case once things are back in order and I'd rather not go to the hassle of signing up with another bank :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They will charge you €5 stamp duty for your debit card before they will close the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

2 payments to MBNA (via AIB) gone AWOL for the past 10 days.

UB have no idea where they are. "Business as usual" indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They will charge you €5 stamp duty for your debit card before they will close the account.

But you won't have to pay it again with new bank if i remember correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Think that only applies to credit card stamp duty & not visa debits/ATM cards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement