Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silentbang

Apparently there was to be word this week through the papers regarding compensation, still nothing. I guess now most people's accounts are sorted that they'll simply just forget about what happened, the fact this thread is so much quieter kinda backs that up, I wonder how many of those affected will chase up their costs and compensation? I'd say most people aren't bothered.sure it's fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

silentbang wrote: »
    Apparently there was to be word this week through the papers regarding compensation, still nothing. I guess now most people's accounts are sorted that they'll simply just forget about what happened, the fact this thread is so much quieter kinda backs that up, I wonder how many of those affected will chase up their costs and compensation? I'd say most people aren't bothered.sure it's fixed now.

Welcome to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I heard the consumer assignation of Ireland wants to launch a group query with Ulster bank for compensation.

I think Ulster Bank should pay compensation of 1 % of all lodgements for 2011. So if €40,000 went into you account in 2011, then you get €400.

If you think you deserve more than that, you apply for compensation.

If you didnt have an account in 2011, you apply for more.

Atleast that would mean a sum of money automatically given as compensation without the customer having to go to the trouble of begging for it.

I know of pensioners who were left high and dry but certainly wouldn't write a letter to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Im still down €600
    I transferred €500 from one account and €600 from another account to my UB Credit Card.
    Both the Current Accounts are also UB.
    Transfer was done using online banking
    The €500 appear in the CC
    the €600 did not.
    Another €500 appeared in CC
    next day the €500 was reveresed
    next day this €500 reversed
    Still no sign of 600
    I went into the branch and they did some investigation.
    The Guys in the online banking said the credit card number had spaces in it for the €600 payment, which is strange as I just select my CC from the list.
    This payment was made in July 16th, when all the systems were supposed to be back up and running. Im guessing someone manualluy typed it in but the man in the bank would'nt confirm that.
    It has now been passed on to Credit Card investigations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Duncan Thicket

I hear the Indian operator who made the mistake said that he had followed procedure to the letter when challenged on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I hear the Indian operator who made the mistake said that he had followed procedure to the letter when challenged on it !

But was it not mention a while back, it was someone in Scotland who did the deed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No one is going admit they were at fault in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I was abroad with work during the "event" and initially didn't know what was going on with my bank account. I had to muddle on for a bit using my non-UB credit card. On return to Ireland, not being able to get to a bank and believing the spiel that all would be well soon, I again used the credit card assuming i'd easily be able to clear it when the pay cheques and t&s finally arrived in to Ulster Bank.

Of course no such luck and i was duly charged for going over balance and not making the minimum monthly payment. I was waiting for UB to get their act together and present their refund plan. Looks like i may as well start the ball rolling myself...

• Advertisement

People need to get their complaints into UB in writing. UB are not going to compensate people unless they complain.

I can't stress that enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Duncan Thicket

But was it not mention a while back, it was someone in Scotland who did the deed.

No. They are lying. The mainframe is housed in Edinburgh, but implementations and production support were all moved to Chennai, India three years ago. The production support team in India were responsible for backing out the scheduler upgrade after it failed to work. However an inexperienced Indian operator backed out the production and the backup schedule by accident instead of just backing out the upgrade. He was unaware of the enormity of what he had done. There is going to be an enquiry, which will be run by RBS. I don't expect that they will admit the mistake occured in India after this enquiry. They pick their words carefully to ensure they keep Edinburgh in the focus, and India out of it

On the day after this production issue first hit the headlines, all Indian IT people who work on the RBS contract from India REMOVED their profiles from Linked-In to keep the India link out of the headlines. See here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/25/rbs_natwest_what_went_wrong/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

kkontour wrote: »
    Im still down €600
    I transferred €500 from one account and €600 from another account to my UB Credit Card.
    Both the Current Accounts are also UB.
    Transfer was done using online banking
    The €500 appear in the CC
    the €600 did not.
    next day the €500 was reveresed
    next day this €500 reversed
    Still no sign of 600
    I went into the branch and they did some investigation.
    The Guys in the online banking said the credit card number had spaces in it for the €600 payment, which is strange as I just select my CC from the list.
    This payment was made in July 16th, when all the systems were supposed to be back up and running. Im guessing someone manualluy typed it in but the man in the bank would'nt confirm that.
    It has now been passed on to Credit Card investigations.

Similar situation to myself. I paid my card during the fiasco and there was no record of it coming out of my account and into my cc account, so once they said it was fixed I paid it again and it went out of my account. 2 1/2 weeks later and it still hasn't hit my credit card account. Every time I phone about it they transfer me to the credit card department even though I ask them to look at it in online banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I heard the consumer assignation of Ireland wants to launch a group query with Ulster bank for compensation.

I think Ulster Bank should pay compensation of 1 % of all lodgements for 2011. So if €40,000 went into you account in 2011, then you get €400.

If you think you deserve more than that, you apply for compensation.

If you didnt have an account in 2011, you apply for more.

Atleast that would mean a sum of money automatically given as compensation without the customer having to go to the trouble of begging for it.

I know of pensioners who were left high and dry but certainly wouldn't write a letter to the bank.
    This is totally ridiculous as a suggestion. 1% of lodgements please! People will be compensated only for fees incurred through failed direct debit payments, returned cheques and the like. How exactly are ub expected to decide who was 'more inconvenienced' than somebody else, as everybody was affected from the multimillionaire to the unemployed mother waiting on child benefit to buy food. Ub have been the black sheep for Rbs for a long time and between compensation and the giant fine the central bank will impose, ub won't be around too much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I get the feeling the only "compensation" will be refunds of any charges that were incurred. I'm not surprised they're dragging their heels about it, it's always the way for customers. But when customers owe the bank money, they always want it straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

From RTE this morning: IT glitch to cost Ulster Bank at least €35m

It looks like they are loosing about a £1 billion a year...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

What compensation do members feel they should get? Just wondering what people 'hoped' to get? A sum of money? Voucher? I heard everyone will be paid a % of their annual balance? How does that sit with people? Should it matter the amount you have? A glitch is a glitch regardless of how much you have. What difference does it make what my balance is if I couldn't access it?

This is totally ridiculous as a suggestion. 1% of lodgements please! People will be compensated only for fees incurred through failed direct debit payments, returned cheques and the like. How exactly are ub expected to decide who was 'more inconvenienced' than somebody else, as everybody was affected from the multimillionaire to the unemployed mother waiting on child benefit to buy food. Ub have been the black sheep for Rbs for a long time and between compensation and the giant fine the central bank will impose, ub won't be around too much longer

Would you really settle for just all fees refunded? thats very understanding of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Todays Indo reckons UB and the regulator are at odds over what customers should be given as compensation. They claim UB want to delay introducing charges on current accounts rather than giving goodwill payments!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

silentbang wrote: »
    What compensation do members feel they should get? Just wondering what people 'hoped' to get? A sum of money? Voucher? I heard everyone will be paid a % of their annual balance? How does that sit with people? Should it matter the amount you have? A glitch is a glitch regardless of how much you have. What difference does it make what my balance is if I couldn't access it?

I would argue that the impact could be seen as inversely proportional to balance amount.

If you had a reasonable balance in the bank, you could potentially ride out the storm and continue to just use the ATM card. You would also be more likely to have access to another card. (OK, your mortgage and debits would also be likely to be higher, but sure they were bouncing away anyway!)

On the other hand, if you were on welfare, or on low income, your annual balance is obviously lower..and your margins are also much tighter. You would likely have had to present yourself at the bank to access money you should have access to. The associated fees (travel costs, arranging childcare, even phone calls) would all impact more.

So to my mind, the % thing would be unfair. There has to be a case-by-case answer to this.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Would you really settle for just all fees refunded? thats very understanding of you.
    What do you actually expect from them like, they're on their knees they're hardly going to give you a foot massage. They will compensate only inconvenience sustained financially as regards unpaids nothing more. If its that much of a problem bank elsewhere or put it under your mattress

The regulator disagrees with you. So does the FSO. They will be forced to pay cash.

The Central Bank wants Ulster Bank to write to all its affected customers and outline how it is going to refund and make a payment to them, rather than have them apply for compensation.
    UB are not going to get away with some sob story like their apologists want you to believe.

[/Quote]
    What do you actually expect from them like, they're on their knees they're hardly going to give you a foot massage. They will compensate only inconvenience sustained financially as regards unpaids nothing more. If its that much of a problem bank elsewhere or put it under your mattress[/Quote]

Nice reply, you don't bank with them do you? Typical Irish reply. After all that's happened the best you offer is move bank. I'm sure many will move bank, now they just want compensation for not having access to there own money, they want compensation because this glitch left them out of pocket but yeah probably best to put your money under your pillow, things are going to change and get better with that attitude. The banks messed up, that was fair enough, it was the way they handled it or didn't handle it that annoyed me more than not having access to my funds, after all that's gone on it just isn't acceptable from a bank, have they learned nothing? No they haven't, guess they won't until they go bust

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've made my complaint and have asked for compensation but stopped short of suggesting a figure. I want them to have the balls to come up with a figure.

My account is closed now though so lets see how they figure that one out. I still have a business account with them and I'm in and out of the branch which was the nuisance for me as well because there was 20 times the amount of customers and I had to go in every 2 days or so to lodge money/cheques into the black hole. :rolleyes:

Nice reply, you don't bank with them do you? Typical Irish reply. After all that's happened the best you offer is move bank. I'm sure many will move bank, now they just want compensation for not having access to there own money, they want compensation because this glitch left them out of pocket but yeah probably best to put your money under your pillow, things are going to change and get better with that attitude. The banks messed up, that was fair enough, it was the way they handled it or didn't handle it that annoyed me more than not having access to my funds, after all that's gone on it just isn't acceptable from a bank, have they learned nothing? No they haven't, guess they won't until they go bust
    *facepalm* sarcasm didn't quite get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

What do you actually expect from them like, they're on their knees they're hardly going to give you a foot massage. They will compensate only inconvenience sustained financially as regards unpaids nothing more. If its that much of a problem bank elsewhere or put it under your mattress

If I had my own 'technical glitch' and failed to have monies due to Ulsterbank in place at at the appropriate time, there are a list of late fees and interest amounts that would be levied on me. eg in spite of my best efforts to pay my UB credit card on time, fees of 60euro (which were since reimbursed) were levied. Incidentally, the balances involved on my credit card were relatively small. Now its my turn to levy the bank with a few 'Late payment fees' of my own.:D

If I had my own 'technical glitch' and failed to have monies due to Ulsterbank in place at at the appropriate time, there are a list of late fees and interest amounts that would be levied on me. eg in spite of my best efforts to pay my UB credit card on time, fees of 60euro (which were since reimbursed) were levied. Incidentally, the balances involved on my credit card were relatively small. Now its my turn to levy the bank with a few 'Late payment fees' of my own.:D
    I get that, but the only point I'm trying to make is that ulster bank are up **** creek. As pissed off as people are and entitled to be so, the reality here is that ulster bank simply do not have the resources to offer goodwill compensation to customers ie the absurd percentage of lodgements notion etc. They will be winding down shortly and unfortunately in the banking world its cut throat. Profit is key. Anyone who disagrees needs a reality check!

And, if you were stuck at a foreign atm with no money on holiday on the 26th of June?

• Advertisement

If the central bank directs they pay compensation they will have to. If going bust is a consequence of this then that's business. Tough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement