Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

I got a reply to my 'earlier' complaint letter about a month ago and it requested I wait for another reply once my 'case' was examined ....I'm still waiting,must complain again one of the days....no compensation yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Vanhalla wrote: »
    Has anyone else not been able to get into their online banking for the last 3 days?! they are idiots!

Me the same. I tried to log on to my account online there but it says the service is temporarily unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lislaw

No problems with my account - accessed twice this week including today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I got a reply to my 'earlier' complaint letter about a month ago and it requested I wait for another reply once my 'case' was examined ....I'm still waiting,must complain again one of the days....no compensation yet!!!

Same here rang them last week and the person on the end of the phone said they were waiting to hear back from the financial ombudsman. She would put it on my file that I had rang in , she was trying to say goodbye, when I asked her how she could put it on my file, when she had not received any details off me????. I started laughing, she asked me was I ok - I hung up. Ulsterwank are a joke, and are still treating their customers with utter comtempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

so i log into anytime banking this morning to check how much interest i have incurred on my credit card this month, as its debited every month on the 23rd.

given my balance, and i have only been making the minimum payment the past few months, the interest should be of a similar level as the previous few months, but its not? its drastically lower. it should be in the region of 15 euros but i only got debited 1.06 interest this month on the cc.
    what on earth are they doing? LOL is that their form of compensation??

i also got current account statement this morning, with a flyer inside telling me the statement may not be right and that they will be sending out corrected ones in due course. i dont care about corrected statements, i wanna know what theyre doing about compensation. how can it be taking this long to sort out compo for customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

duckysauce wrote: »
    Same here rang them last week and the person on the end of the phone said they were waiting to hear back from the financial ombudsman. She would put it on my file that I had rang in , she was trying to say goodbye, when I asked her how she could put it on my file, when she had not received any details off me????. I started laughing, she asked me was I ok - I hung up. Ulsterwank are a joke, and are still treating their customers with utter comtempt.

well I got a call yesterday. This is the 2nd follow up call after my scathing complaint :D this time she asked me:

"what price would you put on compensation?" I refused to give a price so instead added to my complaint.

I then gave my colleague the heads up she would be getting a call. She was more livid than even me. She asked them what price THEY would put on her custom. She has significant savings that she had no access to at the time, no salary payment and was late paying bills as a result. They quoted her €150 needless to say she was not happy with that quote.

will be interested to hear what they come back to me with now :D I think they are trying this tactic first as whatever the are negotiating with the ombudsman is obviously for more than €150!!

anyone else been offered any compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I also lodged a complaint at the time. Was told I'd be contacted by someone but was not. I received a letter about 2 weeks ago which I have misplaced :( I think it said that someone would contact me within 10 days ? Can anyone verify what it's says on these letters as I assume they are fairly generic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

00sully wrote: »
    anyone else been offered any compensation?

yep, offered and accepted and received twice that amount!

kceire wrote: »
    yep, offered and accepted and received twice that amount!

Ah I see so Ulster Bank are trying to low ball some people obviously in the hope they'll accept a lower offer than others.

To reiterate compensation offers :
    €150 : rejected
    €300 : accepted

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Got charged interest on my credit card even though It was fully paid on time. Looks like it is to do with my repayment of the prior months bill being credited after the issue of the current bill meaning my statment for the current month showed a balance to be paid higher than what it was in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ah I see so Ulster Bank are trying to low ball some people obviously in the hope they'll accept a lower offer than others.

To reiterate compensation offers :
    €150 : rejected
    €300 : accepted

Anyone else?

They started at €150 for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I never heard anything back (in written form) after the initally acknowledgement of my complaint I sent in on July 5th!

As for €150. If they do offer me that I'll tell them where to stick it. The issue lasted weeks!!! I look forward to their call.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Anyone want to PM me with a template of the letter they wrote? Did you have missed DD's etc or did you just claim for general inconvenience?

Yeah same here....now we're talking €150/€300 compensation this thread has regained my interest again! What do I have to do guys? Just write a letter? Or will an email do?

Yeah same here....now we're talking €150/€300 compensation this thread has regained my interest again! What do I have to do guys? Just write a letter? Or will an email do?

I wrote a letter to the ombudsman and UB. Just received a call there and was offered €200 :rolleyes:

so, I am on my third letter outlining my grievances yet again. The girl handling the complaint is ok but she gets a bit personal as if she IS UB :o I know she is trying her best to get things sorted for as cheap as possible but I am not accepting that.

really, 2 weeks of major hassle (I won't go into my personal details) is worth €200? she also lied saying that was the maximum she could offer since I know people have received €300 so I don't really care for people blatantly lying to me like that. My new complaint is a real stinker :eek:

also see here: http://www.thejournal.ie/consumers-association-launches-class-action-against-ulster-bank-539164-Jul2012/ :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I wonder will everyone be compensated or do you have to make an official complaint / request compensation...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

For the millionth time. UB are not going to compensate those who don't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I wonder will everyone be compensated or do you have to make an official complaint / request compensation...??

and what if nothing actually went seriously wrong with your account. just you were inconvenienced.can you claim then? anyone done it?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    and what if nothing actually went seriously wrong with your account. just you were inconvenienced.can you claim then? anyone done it?

you don't think it's serious not having access to YOUR money when you want it? or not knowing when you will be paid?
    not knowing if you can pay your bills etc...? the worry alone drove people demented. this was not a day or two it lasted weeks.

how much is that inconvenience worth to you? the directors of this bank who use YOUR money to make them 7 figure salary's and bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Got a phone call from my OLD branch(closed account) saying "We haven't forogtten about you but we are still waiting on a response from Dublin about compensation".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

My mother never made an official complaint. Would it be too late for her? Shed probably be happy to have the reversed payments fines refunded tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Can I ask all of those compensated or considering compensation claims one question?
    Where do you think the money comes from?

I was an NIB customer for 21 years and in the last 3 months moved to Ulster Bank to avail of free banking after NIB announced the introduction of fees. Now, it took a lot of effort and not a little frustration to go through the process of transferring accounts and some Direct Debits did not go through smoothly. The result of this was that I had to wait a while and everything was sorted out eventually. No fees were incurred, no penalties, no loss to third parties.
    Yes I had some glitches when Ulster Bank went down too but no lifelong effects.

The current unchallenged assumption that compenstion should be claimed and paid out for the Ulster Bank meltdown (even in cases where no inconvenience has occurred) has my blood boiling.

I would imagine that later on this year at their AGM the parent company will look at the extraordinary payments for 2012 incurred as losses due to this compensation and conclude that the only option to satisfy shareholders is to introduce fees. (for everyone)

We all will be relying on banks for most of our lifetimes. What is €200 to €300 over 35 years?

There isn't a pot of money out there....it has to be found somewhere.

I can see a lot of UB customers will now make their "initial" written complaint now that compensation is in the offing. Wonder how UB will deal with that? I think all UB customers deserve compensation, but I wonder will they handle those who opened complaints in June/July the same as those raising complaints at this stage.

Also, what happens if someone refused offered compensation. Thats it. Case closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

100gSoma wrote: »
    Also, what happens if someone refused offered compensation. Thats it. Case closed?
    You can then take your case to the ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

crazygeryy wrote: »

you don't think it's serious not having access to YOUR money when you want it? or not knowing when you will be paid?
    not knowing if you can pay your bills etc...? the worry alone drove people demented. this was not a day or two it lasted weeks.

how much is that inconvenience worth to you? the directors of this bank who use YOUR money to make them 7 figure salary's and bonuses.

OK can some one give a rough idea of what to write when making a claim. please.for those like myself who haven't any brains. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

its shocking that customers have to even go to the bother of writing or calling in to complain to get compo

every customer should be contacted by the bank and offered compo.

Can I ask all of those compensated or considering compensation claims one question?
    Where do you think the money comes from?

I was an NIB customer for 21 years and in the last 3 months moved to Ulster Bank to avail of free banking after NIB announced the introduction of fees. Now, it took a lot of effort and not a little frustration to go through the process of transferring accounts and some Direct Debits did not go through smoothly. The result of this was that I had to wait a while and everything was sorted out eventually. No fees were incurred, no penalties, no loss to third parties.
    Yes I had some glitches when Ulster Bank went down too but no lifelong effects.

The current unchallenged assumption that compenstion should be claimed and paid out for the Ulster Bank meltdown (even in cases where no inconvenience has occurred) has my blood boiling.

I would imagine that later on this year at their AGM the parent company will look at the extraordinary payments for 2012 incurred as losses due to this compensation and conclude that the only option to satisfy shareholders is to introduce fees. (for everyone)

We all will be relying on banks for most of our lifetimes. What is €200 to €300 over 35 years?

There isn't a pot of money out there....it has to be found somewhere.

I think this post is naive. do you really think UB aren't already losing millions? do you really think they won't introduce fees? :o

to all those looking for letters, use your imagination all the facts are in this thread ;)

not providing you with a service
    duplicate direct debits
    difficulty paying bills
    embarrassment not paying bills
    having to get loans
    adversely affecting credit rating
    no access to funds?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    confidence in bank security
    undue stress
    balancing your accounts - keeping your affairs in order
    etc...

compensation does not mean reimbursing for costs!!!!!! :mad:

and don't buy into posters above alluding that seeking compensation is almost fraudulent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

100gSoma wrote: »
    I can see a lot of UB customers will now make their "initial" written complaint now that compensation is in the offing. Wonder how UB will deal with that? I think all UB customers deserve compensation, but I wonder will they handle those who opened complaints in June/July the same as those raising complaints at this stage.

They should be treated the same. The date you lodge it should have no bearing on it whatsoever, i'm sure a lot of people held off with their complaints, buying into UB's "we're engaged in discussions with the ombudman" stalling tactics and thought that they would have come up with something concrete by now.

I hope as many customers as possible lodge a complaint because UB's treatment of their customers throughout this whole fiasco has been a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Ms. Clare Gleeson
    Head of Complaint Management ROI
    Ulster Bank Ireland Limited
    Complaint Handling Center
    1st Floor, Block D, George’s Quay
    Dublin 2.

Dear Clare:

I am writing today to let it be known that the banking standard of the establishment to which you belong, namely Ulsterbank, is an absolute disgrace in its’ handling of recent events. I am sure this is not the first letter of such content.

Not only have they failed me be not providing with the service I expect, they have provided me with no service at all.

etc... and list grievances

remember - YOUR money essentially belongs to them as they use it to generate their profits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement