Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in rental property

Options
  • 06-07-2012 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help.

We've had a problem in the apartment we're renting in that we've had mould building up in the en suite and also on the balcony doors. In the en suite it's started from the window and moving across the ceiling to the shower, every time the shower is used the window is fully opened. On the balcony door it's on the door and the frame and the en suite window and the balcony door are on the same wall.

Brought this to the landlords attention and she went around to check it with the building management. They've decided amongst themselves it's not harmful and have wiped it from the bathroom wall (which I did before myself and it came back) and when I asked about the balcony doors the response was "wipe it".

The whole situation isn't sitting right with me and the mould worries me.

Can anyone offer any advice about what I should do? As we don't even know what's causing it and the landlord hasnt been helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There are a number of factors that can cause mould, it would be too difficult to try diagnose it properly over the net.

There is one basic thing you can try though.

Check to see if there is adequate ventilation throughout the apartment. There should be a open vent in every room, make sure its not closed or blocked. We don't have the climate where it should ever really be closed.

But ,if you are drying clothes in the apartment, have a large number of showers, don't open the windows very often(during the shower only isn't good enough) and run the heating a lot you are going to produce condensation on outside walls and windows no matter what you do, this will create a good environment for mould to live in.

Advertisement