Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building work beside Lidl Ardkeen??

Options
  • 06-07-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know whats happening in next door to Lidl Ardkeen, I was driving past the other day and i saw a building going up there, As far as i know it was Frisby land, just wondering is there another business opening in there? Always nice to see a new business open these days!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Rumor has it it's going to be a few retail units and a cinema. Think there was a thread about it here a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

thread awhile back confirmed it to be the new Belisimo restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its too big to be just a restaurant, must be a few units going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its 4 stories high isn't it? Must be a fair few things going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Yeah i wouldnt be surprised if it was the new Belissimo restaurant they seemed a bit cramped last time i was in there, then again who has the money to invest these days?

I presume its more Frisby construction construction?

Nice to see anyway, hopefully it will bring jobs and get more money flowing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its hardly another cinema though is it? No way the city will support two cinemas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

With the price of the cinema in town I reckon they could well do with a bit of competition.

New place wouldn't be any better though really, they make very little if anything from the actual films themselves, that's why the concessions are so high priced.

New cinema would be paying the same price for the films as Storm/Odeon, whatever its called so can't see much of a change price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Unless we got a Cineworld with their unlimited card. Then id live there :pac:

Actually, didnt the cinema start some form of loyalty card scheme? I thought someone mentioned something like that to me the other day (wasnt really listening)

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Actually, didnt the cinema start some form of loyalty card scheme? I thought someone mentioned something like that to me the other day (wasnt really listening)

They did indeed but the Cineworld card is a thousand times better.

ziedth wrote: »
    They did indeed but the Cineworld card is a thousand times better.

I would't know so wasn't debating that :)

What is the Storm/Oden loyalty card about? Is it go see 5 movies get a 6th free kind of thing?

kryogen wrote: »
    I would't know so wasn't debating that :)

What is the Storm/Oden loyalty card about? Is it go see 5 movies get a 6th free kind of thing?

Ya I think the lads worked out you'd get about your 10th visit free. Not bad but nowhere near as good as an unlimited card....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was wondering this myself but nothing in the plans over the past 5 years (that are online anyway) that indicate what it is. Closest seems to be a cold storage room for Ardkeen Stores but I don't think that's it. After that its just UPC, Subway and the housing estate. Searched Ardkeen Village and Dunmore Road.

I know its Frisby Land anyway, they tried to stick a car park on there most recently, It seems a bit overbuilt that area anyway doesnt it, alot on a small space!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got it. Already planning on that land for the following;
    blocks of 4 storeys consisting of enclosed carpark, 1 No. office, 3 No. service retail units and 1 No. restaurant at ground floor, 1 No. ESB sub-station & switch room, 36 No. 1 bed apts, 48 No. 2 bed apts, 4 No. 3 bed apts and roof terraces on upper floors, 1 No. 3 storey office block, the re-organisation of some existing surface parking spaces, provision of additional surface parking spaces, together with all associated site works, services, boundary treatments and landscaping

They wish to change block F of the above planning, which was granted, which would mean the Office on the ground floor will now be retail and the top floor will be a restaurant. Its not Frisby applying for planning anyway, but he did apply for the original.

The Car Park is also subject to planning for the reduction in car parking spaces from 139 to 103 spaces (Planning Application: 1292) by Frisby. Do people use that car park and have to pay for it? Its in an awful state, so I assume it was never completed?

Out of interest is there any word on the size of the retail units.....

Good point

Sully wrote: »
    Got it. Already planning on that land for the following;

They wish to change block F of the above planning, which was granted, which would mean the Office on the ground floor will now be retail and the top floor will be a restaurant. Its not Frisby applying for planning anyway, but he did apply for the original.

The Car Park is also subject to planning for the reduction in car parking spaces from 139 to 103 spaces (Planning Application: 1292) by Frisby. Do people use that car park and have to pay for it? Its in an awful state, so I assume it was never completed?

Im pretty sure it is Frisby land as i know some people in Frisby and i know that land is owned by Frisby as we were talking about it before.

Frisby is a schrewd business man and the land was waste land with a fence around it about 2 or 3 years ago, then for some reason they layed it out as a car park?? why?? Im sure it was some business reason, i bet he had to pay some kind of tax on it if it wasnt in use or something or other so he put a car park down??

asdfaasdfasdfsa8d7f98ds798as7d98f7asd98f7ds987fsdaa9sdhfasd

I really think you had a few too many buddy!

Thats probably his head on the keyboard!

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Out of interest is there any word on the size of the retail units.....

Unit 1 is 169sqm (1819 sqft), Unit 2 236sqm (2540sqft) and Unit 3 252sqm (2712 sqft). The restaurant is 421sqm (4531sqft).

The apartment look decent from the drawings anyway!
    Im pretty sure it is Frisby land as i know some people in Frisby and i know that land is owned by Frisby as we were talking about it before.

Frisby is a schrewd business man and the land was waste land with a fence around it about 2 or 3 years ago, then for some reason they layed it out as a car park?? why?? Im sure it was some business reason, i bet he had to pay some kind of tax on it if it wasnt in use or something or other so he put a car park down??

Frisby applied for it first time and its some other guy applying for it now. Probably just someone in charge of the land or something. Looks like a good development anyway!

Im amazed that the planning authority in Waterford are allowing any more apartments or housing to be built in Waterford after all there is a huge over hang in waterford housing meadowbank has a huge amount of unfinished housing there, I would like to see a definative list of the amount of empty new builds or otherwise in waterford city, just to see like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Im amazed that the planning authority in Waterford are allowing any more apartments or housing to be built in Waterford after all there is a huge over hang in waterford housing meadowbank has a huge amount of unfinished housing there, I would like to see a definative list of the amount of empty new builds or otherwise in waterford city, just to see like!

Fair enough point in one sense, but look at it from the developer's point of view: if he has land in Ardkeen where he can definitely sell some retail units and apartments because of the desirability of the area, why should he be penalised because some other developer took a punt on a field over near the Cork Road?

This kinda brings me back to my earlier point, that it is Frisby land and im pretty sure its him building it even though planning is in someone elses name.

My arguement would be that there are a huge amount of empty houses causing house prices to devalue futher than normal, if you look at it from a supply and demand point of view,

Also he has alot of unfinished developments around already (not his fault but due to the downturn) but why build more units when you already have a huge amount of houses that arent selling or developments unfinished due to poor sales at the moment.

I think the planning authority should take that into consideration when they are giving planning to build, arent alot of our current problems because of giving planning to build here there and everywhere! anyway i am glad to see work being done just questioning the wisdom of building more houses or apartments is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Will be interesting to see if those apartments sell as the market is dead at the moment unless hes just going to hold onto them and rent them out.

I would say renting them out would be a much more attractive proposition for all involved, what with the hospital just over the road im sure theyd be rented quick enough, Doctors especially love to have a place near work and id say this would be ideal for alot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While we're on the topic of planning, it probably goes without saying, but the general Dunmore Rd area is a total disgrace.

The facilities for children are almost non-existant. The new play area around Williamstown is a boost, but aside from that there is nothing. Not one single sports field out there, not one single sports club.

The lack of school facilities is also shocking. Ballygunner Primary and the Gaelscoil are out on the outskirts, but neither are nearly enough to cater to the population. The area in particular needs a Community School at secondary level also. Think how much traffic would be improved in the city if parents weren't running kids from the Dunmore Rd to all over the city to get to school.

Dunmore Road is pretty much saturated with development in relation to it's current basic facilities and infastructure, so development should be curtailed until this is solved first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

hardybuck wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of planning, it probably goes without saying, but the general Dunmore Rd area is a total disgrace.

The facilities for children are almost non-existant. The new play area around Williamstown is a boost, but aside from that there is nothing. Not one single sports field out there, not one single sports club.

The lack of school facilities is also shocking. Ballygunner Primary and the Gaelscoil are out on the outskirts, but neither are nearly enough to cater to the population. The area in particular needs a Community School at secondary level also. Think how much traffic would be improved in the city if parents weren't running kids from the Dunmore Rd to all over the city to get to school.

Dunmore Road is pretty much saturated with development in relation to it's current basic facilities and infastructure, so development should be curtailed until this is solved first.

I've been saying the same for years. Ridiculous that there isn't a Dunmore Road based soccer or even hurling team. (Discounting Ballygunner of course :)) There is the Waterpark Rugby Club in Ballinakill, but a serious lack of facilities for kids. Walk through any estate there of an evening and it's just kids strolling around, sitting on walls, bored out of their minds. Always said if I won a decent amount on the lotto I'd put some sort of facility out there that had sports teams, arcade, sports club, public pool etc. Ah well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I forgot about Waterpark, but rugby is very much a minority sport in Waterford.

The biggest disgrace of all was when DLS School were allowed to sell the land which was used for soccer pitches where Grange Cove stands today. That was the final nail in the coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My friend has a teenager out there and every sport he goes to is in Lisduggan, Cork Rd, out by Norwood and there no one bus to those places so she's permanently in the car.

Advertisement