Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No executor=no electricity. Thanks, ESB.

Options
  • 06-07-2012 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I recently moved into my grandmother's house. My grandmother died over two years ago, and when I moved in there were several Electric Ireland bills, and warning letters about the service being cut-off.

I'm just off the phone with Electric Ireland, who told me I need a lease agreement or proof that I'm in the process of buying the house in order to change the account into my name.

I'm not leasing the house, nor am I in the process of buying in it. I'm living in it rent-free, because it was my grandmother's.

I told the rep all this and that I would try to get a death certificate for my grandmother (as there isn't one currently), and I asked if while I was trying to do that, would the power be cut off, as not only do I live in the house, but I have incubators for eggs, and heat lamps for animals, who would die (and leave me seriously of out of pocket) if the power was cut off.

I was told there was in general, in other circumstances, there would be a "high risk" the account would be cut off, and no more, because I'm not the executor of the estate, and that the executor of the estate needs to contact them.

I told the rep I don't know who the executor is, and I've since found out there was no executor as there was no will, so how can I get in contact with that person, to have them contact Electric Ireland, so that I can continue to live normally, and keep my animals alive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Who owns the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi JennaJameson,

I'm sorry to hear of this. Can you send me the details of the property by private message? I will then be able to look into this for you.

The general requirements for setting up an account when you move in to a property are outlined here on our website.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Gurgle wrote: »
    Who owns the house?

Currently, the President of the High Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would appear that you have no legal right, at present, to live in that house. Electric Ireland are not the only supply company you can apply to. However, you'll find that you have difficulty elsewhere too. As things stand you are not the home owner, a tenant, or lessee. You need to contact a solicitor and get probate started on the estate.

Advertisement