Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been mistaken for someone else?

• 06-07-2012 4:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭

As the question asks, have you ever been mistaken for someone else, be it famous or not, and have interesting tales to tell about it?

When it happens, do you play along or quickly correct the person?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I get mistaken for Brad Pitt all the time. I don't even bother arguing anymore as people never believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I've often been mistaken for someone who gave a shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

yea, all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Yes. Somebody once touched me on the shoulder and when I turned around they said "sorry - I thought you were somebody else..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

Brian O Driscoll a couple of times. And on one occasion in a shop in Tallaght, a little kid thought I was him, told his dad who also thought I was him, and refused to believe that I wasnt him.

I wouldnt mind, but I am significantly fatter than Brian O Driscoll, and they still refused to believe me. And I was buying smokes and beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

A few years ago i was walking through east London when this big black guy starts shouting at me from across the street, i was crapping myself wondering what i had done to upset him. He then made his away across the street and proceeded to tell me that he thought i was simon pegg:( my response was that i wasn't and that "ye all think we look the same anyway" thankfully he saw the funny side of it and didn't think i was been a racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

faceman wrote: »
    As the question asks, have you ever been mistaken for someone else, be it famous or not, and have interesting tales to tell about it?

When it happens, do you play along or quickly correct the person?

Is that you Da?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Dirk Benedict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I genuinely got mistaken for a famous German rapper in Munich once. Whoever he was, he was a big deal over there, I was only over there for a soccer match but this group of people kept looking at me one night in the pub. I was looking back kinda like "are ye looking at me?" :confused: Eventually one of them comes over and talks away to me in German, I says, I'm Irish, what are ya on about?! Then he starts talking in great English, "you are not suchandsuch a fella?" I says, no! He goes over, tells his mates, and they won't believe him!!

Eventually they come over one by one and ask for a picture with me, because what they decided to do was tell everyone on Facebook that they met this famous rapper and use me as a double, and no-one would tell the difference! They bought me and my mates a round of Erdingers for our trouble too, so happy days! :D

Edit: Just found the guy on wikipedia: "Sido" I actually do look really like him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Got mistaken for Denzil Washington once and I'm not even black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Someone out of One Direction...played along, posed for photos and all. At that time I didn't know who One Direction were. I refuse to believe I look like any of them. The shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Jesus...

My friends keep saying 'Ahhh Jesus you again...' everytime I go over to their house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yeah my brother, all the fooking time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I walked by some young girls one time and overheard one of them say "he looks like Cristiano Ronaldo". I was chuffed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

There is a bloke where i'm working at the moment and he is identical to the comedian Lee Mach, so much so that he changed his facebook profile picture to an actual picture of Lee Mach for a week and only 2 of his mates noticed. I suggested i take some pictures of him snorting coke and sell them to the papers but he wasn't interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I genuinely got mistaken for a famous German rapper in Munich once. Whoever he was, he was a big deal over there, I was only over there for a soccer match but this group of people kept looking at me one night in the pub. I was looking back kinda like "are ye looking at me?" :confused: Eventually one of them comes over and talks away to me in German, I says, I'm Irish, what are ya on about?! Then he starts talking in great English, "you are not suchandsuch a fella?" I says, no! He goes over, tells his mates, and they won't believe him!!

Eventually they come over one by one and ask for a picture with me, because what they decided to do was tell everyone on Facebook that they met this famous rapper and use me as a double, and no-one would tell the difference! They bought me and my mates a round of Erdingers for our trouble too, so happy days! :D

Edit: Just found the guy on wikipedia: "Sido" I actually do look really like him!!

Comparison Pic or GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yes ...loads of times I've had people come over and think I was somebody they knew including 70s singer Alvin Stardust and strangley enough , two Liverpudlian actors Paul Usher and Andrew Schofield ( you might have to google the last two ) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I was once mistaken for Eddie Jordan in a pub in Temple Bar. When I said I wasn't, a whole group gathered around me and said they understood I wanted to remain incognito. I signed several autographs and even one saying (at his request) "Häkkinen sucks, Eddie Jordan" in a felt pen on one fellow's arm.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Happens all the time people i meet mistake me for been polish, happened twice yesterday, tbh i take it as a compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Ant from ant & Dec, despite the fact I'm 5"11. Drunk girls eh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Happens all the time people i meet mistake me for been polish
    Mr Sheen is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Happens all the time people i meet mistake me for been polish, happened twice yesterday, tbh i take it as a compliment.

ah yeah..the polish are a good looking bunch by and large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Archeron wrote: »
    /snip

I wouldnt mind, but I am significantly fatter than Brian O Driscoll, and they still refused to believe me. And I was buying smokes and beer.

5 years ago, you were Brian O'Driscoll :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I often get mistaken for someone that's interested in banal conversation.

Do you ever get mistaken for one of Panda's finest, as your username suggests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Andy Whitefield and Gerrard Butler recently.
    One is dead and the other is almost 20 years older than me. That can't bode well for my "good looks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Which is what you'll find in about 75% of AH threads except it's not banal conversation ,it's banal opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Andy Whitefield and Gerrard Butler recently.
    One is dead and the other is almost 20 years older than me. That can't bode well for my "good looks".

I was in love with Andy Whitfield.

Pics or GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

i was told i look like quite a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

sometimes i get mistaken for a hipster, i think its because most people dont actually know what a real hipster is like

i was told i look like quite a few times.

Which times? 6.00 or 6.05?

Any other times and I'd be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Christina Aguillara, Avril Lavigne, and Scarlet Johanson a few times - I look nothing like any of them though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Christina Aguillara, Avril Lavigne, and Scarlet Johanson a few times - I look nothing like any of them though!!

Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

R019912 wrote: »
    Which times? 6.00 or 6.05?

Any other times and I'd be worried.

just a few times is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nailvarnish16

I was at my schools 6th year graduation this year and I got congratulated three times from different parents for getting student of the year.....I haven't even done 5th year :L I just said back to them no I'm Sarah, that was Maura, she's a lovely girl isn't she? We don't even look that alike except for being blonde and same height. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Nope, doubt it's the Mayballine, more likely it's the hair dye! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Dirk Diggler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Former Liverpool 'star' Neil Mellor and Aidan Power from the Cafe on RTE. Strange, considering those two people don't look even remotely alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

A traveller. Countless times Ive had people asking my friends am i a traveller, travellers have come up speaking to me.
    Not the nicest comparison to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Steve Collins (the boxer) and I'm forever told I look like Brock Lesnar (Pro-Wrestler and ex-UFC fighter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

The girl behind the bar at my ex's debs told me I looked a lot like the lead singer of the script, and that I could use that to "get me places". I just laughed and thanked her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

I've been mistaken for Mark Whalberg once down in Killarney! Alot of my mates say i look the very same as him but i can't see it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some dude called me Seán yesterday. That was weird.

Back when I used to have my hair cut with a widow's peak I was told I looked like a young Shay Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I walked by some young girls one time and overheard one of them say "he looks like Cristiano Ronaldo". I was chuffed :D

You shouldn't have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Been told before I look a lot like Carly Rae Jepson... Just don't see it. :/ xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Steve Collins (the boxer) and I'm forever told I look like Brock Lesnar (Pro-Wrestler and ex-UFC fighter)

I seen a picture of you before. You were a little bit, just a little bit like Colm Meaney.

He looks like a bronzed pulsating testicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sindri wrote: »
    I seen a picture of you before. You were a little bit, just a little bit like Colm Meaney.

Although I look nothing like Meaney I'd be complimented, he's one of the celebs I'd most like to have a beer with ~ I love the guys acting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

no never happened to me,if i was mistaken for a celeb i would try making a good career out of it,being a double etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Although I look nothing like Meaney I'd be complimented, he's one of the celebs I'd most like to have a beer with ~ I love the guys acting.

He's Chief O'Brien!!! The Trekkie in me would explode in excitement if I saw him. :D

No celebs, but I'm constantly mistaken for my sister. Constantly. It's at the stage that when people shout her name at me I respond to it.

A woman stopped her car in the middle of the street the other day, rolled down her window and screamed across to me "Do you want a lift <insert sister's name here>?". I said "huh?", and she started screaming at me about a lift again while cars queued up behind her. I just shouted "no I'm grand thanks!". Never seen her before in my life, but was mighty tempted to take the lift anyway and see how long I could get away with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement