Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Break for OZ

Options
  • 06-07-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

Did anyone sucessfully get a HSE Career Break for Oz. Any advice on how to appeal a rejection would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Hi, I got a career break from the HSE last year. I was lucky because my service's budget had been drastically cut so they were happy to have me off the payroll! I also blamed the recession as my partner works in the building industry and he wanted to go to Oz.

For appealing, I would put in writing how the experience will improve your performance and career (experiencing a different way of doing things, how you will feel more "settled" when you come back and you will therefore be less likely to leave the service etc)

From talking to friends, it seems to depend on the demands of the service and how sound your manager is. A friend of mine applied for a career break, got rejected, then applied for 6 months unpaid leave and got it!

Best of luck with it, it can be a stressful time!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Hi statina,

Thanks for that, it is really helpful. I will take your advice on how to add to my appeal.

I think it is still unlikely though, so think i'm going to have to hand in my notice!. I'm hoping by the time i come back there will be a few more jobs, and i will have more experience - very stressful !!

Thanks again

I feel for you as its such a stressful time trying to decide what to do! I had my head wrecked about it until I decided I was going to quit regardless if I didnt get the career break.

If its a thing that you want to emigrate and travel, I wouldnt put it off for the sake of a job because down the line, you might always regret that you didnt do it. I know Ireland is in a bad way with jobs but there are jobs in OT. A few of my friends were in a similar situation to you- careeer break rejected so they quit and went travelling- they are now back in Ireland and all got jobs pretty much straight away. The experience will definitely stand to you as it will look really good on the CV that you left Ireland and did some different but stayed within your own field (if that makes sense!).

I am so glad I decided to come out as the lifestyle is fantastic and I am having a ball. Trust me, when you are sunbathing on a beautiful beach in Dec/ Jan- you wont regret having made the move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

My wife is taking a 6 month unpaid leave followed by a year long career break for four years and a further 5 month one to get to the five years. This is the approach agreed with her line managers. Good luck, try to avoid quitting if you can its nice to have an insurance policy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Pack in a job for a one year holiday (presuming you are going WHV??) - madness.
    Sorry but would not recommend jacking in a relatively safe job if you get turned down for a career break.
    While things may seem crap at the moment and you want a break I would recommend a month off or something similar but not resigning.

• Advertisement

Myhorse- you gave the exact same advice as my father did!

Each to their own but the way I see it, the time to go travelling is when you are young and have no responsibilities- I am presuming this is the case for the OP? I would much rather take a risk on the unknown than sit every day in a job wishing I had taken the chance! Plus not knowing where your future will end up can be very exciting- if you can tolerate the short term stress!!

myhorse wrote: »
    Pack in a job for a one year holiday (presuming you are going WHV??) - madness.
    Sorry but would not recommend jacking in a relatively safe job if you get turned down for a career break.
    While things may seem crap at the moment and you want a break I would recommend a month off or something similar but not resigning.

Hi thanks for the replies,
    a nice mix of opinions

myhorse, its not for one year, my BF is a civil engineer and his job is gone. so we have a choice of
    1. staying here with him giving up his career/loosing his career, and finding some work locally(not as a civil engineer)
    2. staying here and him taking a job in 120 miles away from me or -( which is not even that likely as job opportunities are crap)
    3. heading to oz together and setting up for a few years, in a hope to get a few bucks together so he can re- train when we get back.

We were stuck between set up 1 or Oz, initially we chose OZ, but now that i've been told i wont get a career break it may seem like madness!

myhorse does it still seem like madness?

dodgylegs wrote: »
    myhorse, its not for one year, my BF is a civil engineer and his job is gone. so we have a choice of
    1. staying here with him giving up his career/loosing his career, and finding some work locally(not as a civil engineer)
    2. staying here and him taking a job in 120 miles away from me or -( which is not even that likely as job opportunities are crap)
    3. heading to oz together and setting up for a few years, in a hope to get a few bucks together so he can re- train when we get back.

We were stuck between set up 1 or Oz, initially we chose OZ, but now that i've been told i wont get a career break it may seem like madness!

myhorse does it still seem like madness?

I am unaware of a number of other variables that would affect my advice but here goes with what is to hand (I am unaware of your field of work so am unable to weigh that in)

its not for one year - have you secured a visa or are you hoping to get sponsored over here? Otherwise it is for a year (two with the regional work option). You will read threads on here of people who have struggled to get employment on a WHV and others who have been able to secure work and get sponsored. Human nature will dictate that you will plan around the success storied rather than balance them with the stories of people having difficulty finding work. So rather than hoping to stay for longer than the initial visa, factor in that you both will struggle and balance both possibilities and the impact on your goals or plans.

staying here and him taking a job in 120 miles away from me or -( which is not even that likely as job opportunities are crap) - 120 miles seems alot but it is better than both of you thousands of miles from family / friends /possible oppertunites that may arise. I would not make such a huge decision with one of the factors being you will possibly be 120 miles from each other 4 days a week. I would not consider that a reason to move. While the job chances are crap - from first hand knowledge (not what you read or heard from a friend of a friend) what are jobs ops here? Is he looking at a 6 figure salary or would his skills be a 50-60K ,or under) salary range. No disrespect but the title civil engineer means nothing here - civil engineer with x no of years experinece and local experience means a lot.

heading to oz together and setting up for a few years, in a hope to get a few bucks together so he can re- train when we get back. - dont take this wrong but again you are looking at a plan that is dependant on many variables outside your control which can be dangerous(getting to stay for the few years/getting employment that will allow you to save a serious amount of money so that you can realise the long term goal of him retraining etc).
    If you are in one of the main cities saving a decent block of cash is quite difficult. Dont forget you will have large initial set up expenditure (rent bond/ furniture/ may buy a car etc). then you will have relocation fees back home when you do decide to return (where will you live - perhaps you have a property already and hope to rent it out but will you have to subsidise that rent in a falling market while away/ return airfares etc etc).

If he plans to retrain why not now and in Ireland where you are guaranteed one salary and various entitlements and also support from family. Also check what you will be entitled to if you did go and return after two years - I think you lose a lot of options if you are out of the country for more than two years (as i say I think)

If you have not aready sat down and set aside the "it will work like this" mind set and factor in some of the various variables going against you and you are still certain it is for you then I guess soem of the madness leaves the equation

statina wrote: »
    Each to their own but the way I see it, the time to go travelling is when you are young and have no responsibilities- I am presuming this is the case for the OP? I would much rather take a risk on the unknown than sit every day in a job wishing I had taken the chance! Plus not knowing where your future will end up can be very exciting- if you can tolerate the short term stress!!

Ah but you ignore the flip side of the coin. What if you just get the year or two years in Aus and have to return as you have no visa and you are standing in the dole q saying "why did I pack in the bloody job"?
    It is very comfortable to sit at your desk and daydream about "Australia" and making the big break and going and..and..and.. However it is not for everyone and because it "worked out" for one person does not mean it will for others.
    As above I would recommend a months holiday preferably not in the good summer months and have a look around. And even then really weigh up the argument. So for every "sit every day in a job wishing I had taken the chance" counter balance it with "if everything goes t*ts up and i have to come back and have no job and little possibility - how would I feel about giving up what i have for a glorified holiday in Aus".
    Only after counterbalancing every positive with a negative can you really make up your mind about what "sits well for you"

edit - different if your job is already gone/going/no chance of getting one but giving up a certain income to take a gamble is totally different

I havnt ignored the flip side, I was in the very same position as the op trying to make the decision (before I knew Id get the career break). When trying to weigh things up, I would prefer to have tried and failed than not try at all. But maybe thats just me!

OP, you will get work no problem with your experience- Oz is crying out for OT's with experience. Myself and my friends all got OT jobs within the first month. We have all been offered sponsorship (4 year visa) and your boyfriend can go De-Facto on that visa which means he is entitled to a 4 year visa as well. You will be tied to the place but he is free to work wherever he wants. There is also the option of permanent residency through work as well after this.

Just to counteract, we are living in Sydney and are having no issues with saving. It depends on your circumstances I suppose.

I am not trying to make it out that its all sunshine and roses over here as there are aspects which are difficult. Its a huge decision to make and I dont envy you- I suppose Im just trying to point out the positive aspects of the move as Im sure you have enough people pointing out the negative aspects!

• Advertisement

Thanks statina & myhorse,

Your advice will help me in making a decision, as you said myhorse i would need to give you all the variables of our situation.

If my appeal for career break isn't sucessful, i'm going to look for unpaid leave first, and then plan from there

Advertisement