Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonals Drive Thru Plans Hebron Road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

What are you talking captain, there's enough candidates already in Kilkenny like the guy in your picture to be able to hold a mini marathon!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    What are you talking captain, there's enough candidates already in Kilkenny like the guy in your picture to be able to hold a mini marathon!

McDonalds will be on my way to work and home, far too easy for me to nip in for a quick brekkie or burger in the evening if I'm in a hurry. I'm cuddly at the moment but that could change.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

work has finally started in the last few days, new security fence erected, and site clearance and trees removed, and security on site, hopefully it will fly up another eye soar gone,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »
    work has finally started in the last few days, new security fence erected, and site clearance and trees removed, and security on site, hopefully it will fly up another eye soar gone,

It will be handy there. I love McDonalds but the one on Patrick st is rubbish. Slowest McDonalds in Ireland/the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Free grub to the NEEIGGGHBOURS nearby if they dont wreck the place or put people off.

• Advertisement

Free grub to the NEEIGGGHBOURS nearby if they dont wreck the place or put people off.

There's going to be an accident involving a child or horse on that roundabout one of these days. Nearly every time I pass I see one or the other or both.

road_high wrote: »
    There's going to be an accident involving a child or horse on that roundabout one of these days. Nearly every time I pass I see one or the other or both.

Let alone if one was to hit your car.
    We know who would suffer the most.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It is alarming there alright, I've seen young kids cycling, shoot onto that roundabout and once onto the Dublin rd. without looking, once was infront of my car. Even though you'd be blameless you couldn't help but feel guilty, not to mention how the parents would react to you either. The McDonalds on Patrick street just isn't in a good location, this one will be handy to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Saw a horse/pony collapsed under a cart there one day. The guards had just arrived on the scene as well. Terrible to see an animal in distress like that.

Anyway back on topic yea saw some building works underway there on Friday as I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Is this going to be beside the halting site across from the Toyota garage?

• Advertisement

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Is this going to be beside the halting site across from the Toyota garage?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

sorry - I know this will be an unpopular viewpoint - personally Im disapointed to see McD's open a new store...it was nice while it lasted to be able to maintain a bit of uniqueness with Mc D's hidded away! and not just be another homogenised urban hodghepodge of the same bland multinational and UK high street retailers that have nothing to add but just erode the individuality and identity of our towns...for what gain??...the horror...the horror....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Rantan wrote: »
    multinational and UK high street retailers that have nothing to add but just erode the individuality and identity of our towns...for what gain??...the horror...the horror....

I think alluding to Heart of Darkness in reference to a McDonalds is a tad extreme. It's being built in an industrial estate to be fair. If anything it's an improvement on what was there before (a field full of rubbish from the adjacent halting site).

Our city centre is still safe from the blandness of the global corporate pig dogs!

true....'spose if there is going to be one...its not the worst location in the city/town - better than having it stuck up beside rothe house or opposite any other landmark, unique medieval building....the "horror " ref is tongue in cheek in all fairness....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Say one thing our tourist don't get ripped off by Mcdonalds, nor the locals, all this crying over the cultural centre of Kilkenny, what is going to happen to Market Cross? Is the amusement arcade still coming?
    Some of the building around the centre leaves much to be desired as does the abandoned building one sees coming out of the market cross car park.
    I presume for tourists we could suggest it is one that Cromwell knocked about.
    The truth is planning in Kilkenny has been a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Say one thing our tourist don't get ripped off by Mcdonalds, nor the locals, all this crying over the cultural centre of Kilkenny, what is going to happen to Market Cross? Is the amusement arcade still coming?
    Some of the building around the centre leaves much to be desired as does the abandoned building one sees coming out of the market cross car park.
    I presume for tourists we could suggest it is one that Cromwell knocked about.
    The truth is planning in Kilkenny has been a disaster.

Your last sentence says it all. Good to see you back Foxy.

Look what happened to grafton street in dublin.
    Now they have new rules in to try sort it out.
    Some of the decor and signage on some of the high street shops are tacky.

This seems to be powering on now. They will spend a fortune on
    security there. Both when they are building and when it opens. I hope the car park will have good secuity. Can't say I'd feel too confident parking there.

Agreed. When there are big matches in Nowlan Park people park all along there and I've regularly seen the kids from the halting site systematically checking all the car doors / boots to see if they are open.

Sky King wrote: »
    Agreed. When there are big matches in Nowlan Park people park all along there and I've regularly seen the kids from the halting site systematically checking all the car doors / boots to see if they are open.

Yep it's shocking. Same with the cemetary there. I don't know what kind of planning was it to put a halting site beside an industrial estate. Also an eyesore on the main entrance to the city. See a whole load of them were camped in tillage fields at roundabout with about a dozen horses. Farmer must have been thrilled. Gone now but the filth remains (of course).
    .....waits for PC brigade jump down my front :D

• Advertisement

put a halting site beside an industrial estate

I think it was there first - or at least for a long time before the estate grew around it.

Aren't these things difficult to deal with, the current one in Patrick Street should never have been authorised, planning gone stupid, but who was to say we should not have a McDonalds.
    It might not suit older people but us youngsters really appreciate the place, if putting the proposed new one will result in the town one closing it is a bit of a retrograde move, how do you get out to it; if you haven't a car.
    As for the people next door were they ever consulted; I very much doubt it, they are after all no different from you and I.
    I am not saying they won 't but we really should give people the benefit of the doubt, after all it is said they were there first, it sounds if there should be an exclusion zone around the site, no, live together in peace and harmony.
    Once again the council have made a mucking fuddle of the situation
    foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Aren't these things difficult to deal with, the current one in Patrick Street should never have been authorised, planning gone stupid, but who was to say we should not have a McDonalds.
    It might not suit older people but us youngsters really appreciate the place, if putting the proposed new one will result in the town one closing it is a bit of a retrograde move, how do you get out to it; if you haven't a car.
    As for the people next door were they ever consulted; I very much doubt it, they are after all no different from you and I.
    I am not saying they won 't but we really should give people the benefit of the doubt, after all it is said they were there first, it sounds if there should be an exclusion zone around the site, no, live together in peace and harmony.
    Once again the council have made a mucking fuddle of the situation
    foxy

Why would they be consulted? They were given a plot of public land for free, housed in comfortable homes built with state money, and yet continue to take over any surrounding patch of land to keep their horses, & are a continuous menace racing sulkys on the roads around the city. Mcdonalds is a welcome addition to that side of town and I for one am glad to see a derelict patch of ground made use of....

That is an interesting point of view that is in the main quite valid in many respects, adopting a slightly more Christian attitude may well be beneficial.
    Think of all the people who came into Ireland during the boom years, in some cases sponged of off the state, sent money back from where they came, we have some of our own doing the same thing for which we are all paying towards.
    The people next door are a tradition one which is slowly but surely becoming extinct, it is a way of life, they might object to your views, I am certain you are a very reasonable person by your post's.
    However the idea of McDonalds going to that site, why when there was possibly more convenient places, seriously would you walk along the Hebron on a dark night if you was a teenager, not bloody likely I hear.
    It is part of the council inconsiderate planning deeds.
    Take care Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Any sign of building going on there??

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Autosport wrote: »
    Any sign of building going on there??

all the heavy machinery has moved in in the last few days

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Why would they be consulted? They were given a plot of public land for free, housed in comfortable homes built with state money, and yet continue to take over any surrounding patch of land to keep their horses, & are a continuous menace racing sulkys on the roads around the city. Mcdonalds is a welcome addition to that side of town and I for one am glad to see a derelict patch of ground made use of....

The restauarant went through all the usual planning channels and was well flagged so any locals with objections had the right to object within the confines of the law (a difficult concept for some elements I know).

road_high wrote: »
    The restauarant went through all the usual planning channels and was well flagged so any locals with objections had the right to object within the confines of the law (a difficult concept for some elements I know).

careful now!

One word sums it up, often used but basically ignored, "careful", there are good and bad wherever you go, however we perhaps should always look on the bright side;
    Remember there are those who have not had the opportunity, that is often the fault of the state, but parents are not blameless;
    From time to time I will indulge in a McDonalds, Patrick St is pathetic for parking at times, so having a place out on the Hebron might make life easier all round, think it might have been "Hooters"
    Foxy

• Advertisement

One word sums it up, often used but basically ignored, "careful", there are good and bad wherever you go, however we perhaps should always look on the bright side;
    Remember there are those who have not had the opportunity, that is often the fault of the state, but parents are not blameless;
    From time to time I will indulge in a McDonalds, Patrick St is pathetic for parking at times, so having a place out on the Hebron might make life easier all round, think it might have been "Hooters"
    Foxy

At laest hooters might be a bit differrent!
    it may not in keeping with the medieval theme of killkennt blah blah blah.. ;)

Advertisement