Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonals Drive Thru Plans Hebron Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I'd go to a Hooters before a McDonalds.

Buffalo Wings > €1 Burger

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Really starting to take shape now. Looks like its going to be a very big mac donalds, anyone know when it's going to be opening

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »
    Really starting to take shape now. Looks like its going to be a very big mac donalds, anyone know when it's going to be opening

Yea it's really flown up. Rough guess I'd say around 2 months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Serious road works going on on Hebron road.

Sky King wrote: »
    Serious road works going on on Hebron road.

What's going on?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    What's going on?

Drove past that way today. Looks like there doing a total realignment of the road for the drivethru.. It's going to be a big restaurant from the looks of the building

What's going on?

Drove past that way today. Looks like there doing a total realignment of the road for the drivethru.. It's going to be a big restaurant from the looks of the building

What's going on?

What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Linny drove past four times just to be extra sure. :)

• Advertisement

Just reading in the Kilkenny reporter it's to open on 6th of march. And the restaurant on Patrick street is to close on the 5th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just reading in the Kilkenny reporter it's to open on 6th of march. And the restaurant on Patrick street is to close on the 5th

Thought that was doing quite well, always busy around school kicking out time anyway!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So the one beside the school is closing?

Thank feck for that, don't know how many brown envelopes were used to get permission for that idiotic location,

- No suitable parking
    - Right beside a bloody school!

Very surprised to hear that. There's business for the two, especially at opposite ends of town. The one in Patrick st is quite a decent restaurant nice decor etc. imagine something else would go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Think it's a daft decision to close the Patrick St restaurant. I would think there'd be enough business for both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Well that's a shame. More money for the inferior Supermacs, then

On the plus side, the people working in the current one will probably transfer to the other one, so job losses should be minimal

1984baby wrote: »
    Think it's a daft decision to close the Patrick St restaurant. I would think there'd be enough business for both

Don't get it either. Surely even if it's a franchisee just sell it off as a going concern rather than throw the business they had built up over the years down the drain for no good reason. People that would have frequented Patrick st one will not neccessarily travel all the way out to Hebron road, at least a 10-15 min drive depending on time of day. Different clientale I'd say too, families rather than passing trade off the motorway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Don't get it either. Surely even if it's a franchisee just sell it off as a going concern rather than throw the business they had built up over the years down the drain for no good reason. People that would have frequented Patrick st one will not neccessarily travel all the way out to Hebron road, at least a 10-15 min drive depending on time of day. Different clientale I'd say too, families rather than passing trade off the motorway.

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine McDonalds would only allow a certain number of restaurants or seating capicity per capita.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine McDonalds would only allow a certain number of restaurants or seating capicity per capita.

I don't think that's true personally, more likely local planning won't allow it, not enough brown envelopes exchanging hands.

Here's a quote from McDonald's CEO Don Thompson this year:
    "I wish we were on every corner; we're not on every corner yet," "I don’t see in my lifetime when there would be a time of saturation with McDonald’s."

Doubt it. There's towns many times smaller than Kk with bigger mcdonalds than Kk has at the moment.
    I'd say myself it's the franchisee being cautious with his money as he may not have the financial backing to run two. It's a silly decision though, throwing out a successful business like that.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I always felt the location of the current one to be a little unusual. Granted they get the school but why weren't the located in the city centre. To grab those who were in town for the day. (Id say they couldn't get planning permission. Thats a guess. Norhing to back it up with).

I do understand them closing the current and opening on the ring road. Very wise decision, they'll get much more passing traffic, will have a drive through, will be more family orientated, lots of parking. Keeping the current one open in its current location would be a waste of time. Many will no longer go to Patrick St when ring Road will be so accessible. If it was me and kilkenny was to have a second McDonald's id put it on high street-parliament st. Dont think many would agree, not really matching with the city's heritage. But I do think it woukd draw a crowd and help other businesses griw around it.

Re: opening another outlet in town.

For any supposed benefit for retailers, It's not going to help any food businesses around town. It would eat into fast food and Sandwich outlets business, coffee shops, and cafes and just generally be terrible for a load of other food retailers.

Negatives would out way any positives for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Was the original reason they were not allowed in the city centre to do with neon signs? The big M is lit & lit signs are against town planning in city centre. I could be wrong though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Re: opening another outlet in town.

For any supposed benefit for retailers, It's not going to help any food businesses around town. It would eat into fast food and Sandwich outlets business, coffee shops, and cafes and just generally be terrible for a load of other food retailers.

Negatives would out way any positives for me.

Valid pont. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Was the original reason they were not allowed in the city centre to do with neon signs? The big M is lit & lit signs are against town planning in city centre. I could be wrong though.

Doubtful. They do more understated unlit signs for places which don't allow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

It will be a longer walk for all the Spanish students come summer time.

It will be a longer walk for all the Spanish students come summer time.

Doubt theyll bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Doubt it. There's towns many times smaller than Kk with bigger mcdonalds than Kk has at the moment.
    I'd say myself it's the franchisee being cautious with his money as he may not have the financial backing to run two. It's a silly decision though, throwing out a successful business like that.

Chris Pim is the franchisee.

He's a former captain of Leinster Rugby & also operates a McD's in Dungarvan I believe. Would be interesting to know the rationale behind closing Patrick St., as I too would have thought it remained viable. There's obviously some other factors at play though.
    shane0007 wrote: »

I'd find the Supermacs store on High St to be far more of a visual eyesore tbh, with the windows plastered in cheap posters for their meal deals .

A combination of that, their harsh interior lighting and plasticy storefront signage give a tatty appearance to the whole place.

the new Mc Donalds is going to be ''Spirit of Family'' its going to be great kids will love it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=995vh7ui2BY

• Advertisement

Read on the people tesco express were interested in the old mcdonalds but decided it isn't suitable for them. Wonder what will go in there? Very few vacant units of that size around kilkenny.

Advertisement