Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonals Drive Thru Plans Hebron Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Chris Pim is the franchisee.

He's a former captain of Leinster Rugby & also operates a McD's in Dungarvan I believe. Would be interesting to know the rationale behind closing Patrick St., as I too would have thought it remained viable. There's obviously some other factors at play though.

I'd find the Supermacs store on High St to be far more of a visual eyesore tbh, with the windows plastered in cheap posters for their meal deals .

A combination of that, their harsh interior lighting and plasticy storefront signage give a tatty appearance to the whole place.

still lament the passing of the Monster House. It was like kk's Arnotts, though I barely remember it. Such a shame to see a fast food outlet replace something like that all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

road_high wrote: »
    Read on the people tesco express were interested in the old mcdonalds but decided it isn't suitable for them. Wonder what will go in there? Very few vacant units of that size around kilkenny.

i suppose it all depends on who owns the building, be great to see Burger King in there :D but can't see Mc Donalds letting that happen

linny wrote: »
    i suppose it all depends on who owns the building, be great to see Burger King in there :D but can't see Mc Donalds letting that happen

Be perfect for a bk. Fitted out and all for a fast food joint. Doubt they'd let them either which makes their moving sound even more illogical really.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Who said mac donalds own the building to stop BK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Why do people think that mcdonalds moving is a bad move for mcdonalds? Given that it's going to be a drive thru and it will have more car spaces I bet it business will grow. The old place is nearer to me but I'd prefer to go to the new spot as it should be easier to get parking or even better just use the drive thru.

• Advertisement

obezyana wrote: »
    Why do people think that mcdonalds moving is a bad move for mcdonalds? Given that it's going to be a drive thru and it will have more car spaces I bet it business will grow. The old place is nearer to me but I'd prefer to go to the new spot as it should be easier to get parking or even better just use the drive thru.

Because they have a very good established business where they are,which they are dumping by the wayside in the presumption everyone will be like you and travel out to the new place. This will not happen as they are located in totlaly different parts of town and you would need to drive out to Hebron
    road or else face a very long walk.

Who said mac donalds own the building to stop BK.

They may not and would be the logical move. But I bet it will need to go to planning again and I can't see KK Borough council allowing it again.
    If it's not something touristy then it's out the window, never mind what people or the market might actually want....

Because they have a very good established business where they are,which they are dumping by the wayside in the presumption everyone will be like you and travel out to the new place. This will not happen as they are located in totlaly different parts of town and you would need to drive out to Hebron

Again I somehow don't think that the new location will lose them customers in fact it will gain them customers the new location is not far from a housing estate it's not far from Nowlan Park and imagine how busy it will be on match days or if there is a gig on. I think it's a good move by whoever is running it and it would seem some one has good business sense and an eye for potential growth.

obezyana wrote: »
    Again I somehow don't think that the new location will lose them customers in fact it will gain them customers the new location is not far from a housing estate it's not far from Nowlan Park and imagine how busy it will be on match days or if there is a gig on. I think it's a good move by whoever is running it and it would seem some one has good business sense and an eye for potential growth.

Oh it's a great location and decision to set up there. But throwing away the existing business they already have is not a smart move in my view. Was easily room for the two branches, given the locations.

Oh it's a great location and decision to set up there. But throwing away the existing business they already have is not a smart move in my view. Was easily room for the two branches, given the locations.

Yeah I do agree that there is no need to close the current one I suppose only time will tell if it was a good decision or not.

• Advertisement

I see this is a 24 hour jobby. It flew up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

I see this is a 24 hour jobby. It flew up really.

Tis after taking longer than 24hrs to go up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Today is the big day!:):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I go to kk shopping from time to time and rarely go to mcdonalds, i'll go more now because of the new location, so will many others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I go to kk shopping from time to time and rarely go to mcdonalds, i'll go more now because of the new location, so will many others
    While I have used McDonalds a lot in the past may i just also suggest an alternative on the ringroad, the Orchard for more substantive food.

catbear wrote: »
    While I have used McDonalds a lot in the past may i just also suggest an alternative on the ringroad, the Orchard for more substantive food.

To be fair the Orchard isnt as noticeable as Mcdonalds given its location i do agree with you the food from the Orchard is nice its a good place to bring the kids for food and some play time whilst the adults eat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

catbear wrote: »
    Do they do a carvery?

earlytobed wrote: »
    Do they do a carvery?

This is a link to their website.

http://theorchardhouse.ie/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

The place was jammers. Every tom, dick and harry was there including mysef. :P

I'd say they done a weeks business in 1 day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

People that excited about a new McDonalds? :rolleyes: Its the same food and same menu throughout Ireland and probably identical to the UK as well, seating might be marginally different, so unless people just wanted to use their pristine brand new toilets I don't see the attraction, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

It was fairly busy when i passed earlier this evening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is it any wounder obesity is on the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PurpleP

Was in the new McDonalds today... Not a fan if I'm honest.. You place your order at one till and then go to your "collection point".. Felt like I was in Argos!! 😢 what ever happened to "take a seat and I'll drop it down".. Felt so impersonal... "Order your food, give me your money, collect your food, eat your food and get out".. Not impressed. Lots of gadgets up there, iPads, bottle warmers (yes really), machines to place your order.. It's like they want to cut out conversation and old fashioned customer service..😒😒

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

PurpleP wrote: »
    Was in the new McDonalds today... Not a fan if I'm honest.. You place your order at one till and then go to your "collection point".. Felt like I was in Argos!! 😢 what ever happened to "take a seat and I'll drop it down".. Felt so impersonal... "Order your food, give me your money, collect your food, eat your food and get out".. Not impressed. Lots of gadgets up there, iPads, bottle warmers (yes really), machines to place your order.. It's like they want to cut out conversation and old fashioned customer service..😒😒

Those machines to place your order are in alot of McDonalds in Europe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PurpleP

Autosport wrote: »
    Those machines to place your order are in alot of McDonalds in Europe ;)

Ah it's mad!! :-( C'mon... It's Ireland.. We've the gift of the gab.. We love a chat and to order from a person not a machine:-D

Could be hygiene reasons too? I.e. to eliminate staff handling money and then food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

People that excited about a new McDonalds? :rolleyes: Its the same food and same menu throughout Ireland and probably identical to the UK as well, seating might be marginally different, so unless people just wanted to use their pristine brand new toilets I don't see the attraction, at all.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I live abroad, and every time I Skype home I get an update on the new McDonalds. Granted not a whole lot that's newsworthy goes on in Kilkenny from one week to the next, but still, to be that excited about a fast food restaurant is slightly silly.

And as another poster said, hello obesity!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

PurpleP wrote: »
    "Order your food, give me your money, collect your food, eat your food and get out".. ’

lol ..what are you on about?......that is the mcdonalds business model. Always was!

...re;the excitement - ahhh the novelty of it all......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be hygiene reasons too? I.e. to eliminate staff handling money and then food.

Till staff generally don't touch any food, they only hold drinks and trays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Took the plunge today & took the kids to McD's. Jaysus, never again.
    Parking, first off, was a nightmare, just not enough. Then we got in & it was like a cattle mart with staff standing inside the door with a cattle prod moving you along.
    Finally get to a machine to place order & Out of Order sign on it. Get to the next one & spent 10 mins inputting order. Put card in & it says cannot accept card. Get a staff member who tells me that one is OOO also. Onto the next machine & this one works.
    Then wait another 15 mins for food to arrive & a bit more cattle prodding. Food arrives & a search for a table begins. Eventfully get one & order is wrong! Go back & they sort it. So we finally got to say we ate a cold McD's, got McProdded & McStonished.
    Never seen anything like it & hopefully will never see the likes of it again. Doorman said they done 120 McRubber breakfasts at 8am on day of opening in the first 5 mins at the drive thru.

Will we go again? McLikely as they kids rule & they didn't seem to mind the hullabaloo. Might be the drive thru though!

Advertisement