Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference?..and which should i choose?...

• 06-07-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

i was wondering if anybody could help me i want to study legal studies at undergraduate level in ireland(postgraduate in england) but ive run into a few difficulties,

What is the true difference between a college and a university in terms of the quality of the degree and the recognition for future employment?

and...

Which would be better to study law at Dublin business school(college), Griffith college dublin or NUI galway?
    Thank you
    -Liam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Generally there's not a huge difference between a University and a college. I'd go with NUIG over DBS or Griffith though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Go for the Kings Inns Dipolma if you arent going to a University. You've until Monday to apply ;)

I'd then go for GCD or Indo if that doesn't suit. City are also okay. DBS I'm afraid comes at the bottom.

There is also the LL.B (post grad) course though DIT.

What are you hoping to get out of it? There are naff all jobs in the legal professions. If you have the bug to do it anyway - like I did then go ahead but expect an out lay of thousands for very little return.

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd study at Undergrad here and Postgrad in England though. Oddly enough the college degrees here (GCD, Indo, City and DBS) are acredited by UK Unis. IMO Nottingham Trent (GCD) being the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What is the true difference between a college and a university in terms of the quality of the degree and the recognition for future employment?

I usually explain the difference as follows: a university is concerned with the advancement of knowledge, a college with merely teaching that knowledge. Though admittedly, the lines are becoming more and more blurred.

In terms of qualifications, the degrees should be of comparable quality, but there is the occasional snobbery against colleges in favour of universities by employers.

Advertisement