Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my dog put down :(

• 06-07-2012 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

This is very very hard for me to write, so please bear with me.

My German Shepard is 15+ years old, his legs are just about gone, he is chewing his back non stop, he cannot sleep, and he's starting to go for other dogs and barking at people (Which he never did before)

He's been to the vet before a few times, with no change

I have spoken at length with my mother over the past several weeks, and we decided it's the best and right thing to do :(

Couple of questions if I may.

Where, around the Leixlip area, can I get it done that won't take advantage of me?

Will they dispose of the body, or do I need to?

How much does it cost?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Tallon

Here he is (For size reference)
    552028_10150605116166436_2121386306_n.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your vet will do it, and you can ask if they can come to the house if you prefer that, some will, some won't.

You can have them dispose of his body for you.

Cost varies depending, probably 60ish for the injection (the put to sleep one)

Then disposal, you can have normal disposal, cremation or individual cremation which is expensive, your vet will have all of these details.

One small piece of advice which has stood me in good stead over the years, is to give the dog a sedative first and let that settle in (not ACP, the injection in their neck sedative) if your dog is anyway frail/in pain/grumpy, it can take a lot of trauma out of their last few minutes, and it can be very peaceful.

He's a lovely looking dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Give these guys a call.

http://www.riverforestvets.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey first off really sorry for your what your going through at the moment it is a horrible decision to make but one sometimes we have little chose in as we have to let thse loved ones move on.

When I got Lucy put to sleep before Xmas it was 120 euros and that included the vet taking care of the body for me. She was an english mastiff so slightly bigger then your guy. The option of having her put to sleep at home is a nice one but not one i could of done with young children.

All the best my friend and if you need support this is a great forum for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Riverforest vets Leixlip.Steve is brilliant.He came to my home 2 years ago when my older boxer had to be pts.He was bril,explained what he would do,what would happen then left the room so I could say my goodbyes to Bruno :(.Wouldnt go anywhere else.Im so sorry the time has come,its not easy cherish the time you have left together.xxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Sorry for what you are going through but you are doing the right thing. Wish it was easier on both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm so very sorry for what you're facing here Tallon. Although you know it is the right thing to do, it's still so, so hard to reconcile having to go through with the final act. I absolutely empathise with you as I had to have my own adored GSD put to sleep last year, although you got to enjoy a good few years more with your fella, who has lived to a grand old age for his breed. He is indeed a very handsome chap :o
    I've spoken with owners who have used the River Forest vets for just this process (including Boxerly :)) and everyone was glowing and very much at ease about how the whole thing was carried out. For me, if at all possible, I'd always have the vet come to the house. It's going to cost more, but I think it seriously lessens the trauma for both dog and owner.
    I had my GSD cremated, she was a big dog weighing in at about 35kg (it's priced by weight), and it cost €280. It is a lot of money, I know, but for me, I needed to have her ashes back because it didn't feel right, at a very visceral level, to not get them back... I hope that makes sense, I'm actually finding it dificult to articulate what I'm trying to say as I still find it hard to think about her being gone :(
    Good luck with what's ahead: spoil him rotten with a slap-up meal, and if you can at all, have the vet come to the house so he can slip away with barely an idea of what's going on, in the place he's most comfortable.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KTurtle

Know that you are making the right decision for your dog.
    Having been in similar position last year with our 12 year old collie I know it's an incredibly upsetting time. The one bit of advice I can pass on is that unless you can keep control and calm during the procedure don't be present. It sounds unfair but he will pick up that you're upset and it will cause him more distress. Just for those few minutes try to pretend to him that its a simple injection to make him feel better before you both go home or for a walk.

Advertisement