Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving bank sort code and account number dangerous?

Options
  • 06-07-2012 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi
    I am selling something online, the buyer wants to pay me by lodging money to my bank account.

Is it safe to give the account number and sort code out?
    I am guessing everything could be robbed out of the account :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Hi
    I am selling something online, the buyer wants to pay me by lodging money to my bank account.

Is this for real??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Yes it is because I have seen conflicting posts on this that say it is either ok , or very dangerous.
    Apparently writing a cheque also displays your account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Yes it is because I have seen conflicting posts on this that say it is either ok , or very dangerous.
    Yes it does. And your sort code.

Writing cheques has never caused me any problems (other than the need to have the funds to meet them).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you tried going into a bank to get money out in the last century?
    They'll want id, proof of address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi

As Jeremy Clarkson found out, it can be a problem, but only three things really can be done, they are sign you up for a direct debit, and also print a fake cheque with your bank detail, these first two aint a real problem, since you can easily prove it a fraud.

The real problem is that the seller might transfer the money to you from a hacked bank account, and this would be reverse once the owner of the account complained.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The real problem is that the seller might transfer the money to you from a hacked bank account, and this would be reverse once the owner of the account complained.

As far as I'm aware, once the money hits your bank account they can not take it out unless they can show that you were actively involved in the fraud....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Jim2007 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, once the money hits your bank account they can not take it out unless they can show that you were actively involved in the fraud....

Nope, if the transfer is fraudulent, it will be reversed

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

paypal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

paypal?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, who doesn't have a credit card these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

you don't need a credit card to use paypal. you can withdraw money from a bank account afaik. also if you have visa debit you can use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Seriously? Loads dont have a credit card with visa debit being used more, cant get one due to stricter lending or bad credit history or are over limit due to lack of employment and bad economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Me because it was cut up after being cloned and me having to jump through hoops to prove to the cc company i hadn't spent the €8,000 that they wanted me to pay back. :eek:

Maybe one day i'll be brave enough to try cc's again but at the moment i'm still singed.

Advertisement