Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the mothership has landed

Options
  • 06-07-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

i finally got so fed up with the weather today,i bought a polytunnel,a big one-18toot wide and 72 foot long.i dont know whether to live in it or i might try growing some fruit and veg.any advice on what to sow in about 2 weeks.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Is it not too late to grow fruit?? Are you growing from seeds?
    Pumpkins for Halloween??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

are you growing in the ground or in pots?

In big pots peas and broadbeans will give a quick return, courgettes too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

i finally got so fed up with the weather today,i bought a polytunnel,a big one-18toot wide and 72 foot long.i dont know whether to live in it or i might try growing some fruit and veg.any advice on what to sow in about 2 weeks.:D

Thats a biggie.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

i think i might try peas, spuds,carrots,salads i bought klaus laitenberger two books if i grow to much i can feed it to my 3 pigs.I probably wont have it up for another week.we are to late for pumpkins according to klaus!we are going to sow our radishs in there too as the birds got terrible fond of them.The kids are mad keen,last year was our first year growing veg and salads.we got the pigs in may.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Do you mind if we ask where u sourced it and dare I say, approx costs?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i love the garden, but with weather i cannot enjoy it, lucky to get the lawn cut before it runs out of control altogether, grass is so high, i do have to lift front of lawnmower to get it under the lawnmower, but could do with a pollytunnell to enjoy it again, what are the price ranges

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have had a polytunnel for over a decade, got the thicker plastic sheeting so still going strong. The floor is covered with mypex.

Apart from growing in pots for the summer I have a raised long table with a frost fleece "tunnel" to get started as early as I can in the year as a polyt isnt frostproof.
    A section is used for recycling and the children use it in winter as a playground. A section at the back has been turned into an indoor quarry by my son to curtail his activities.
    Also used to store toys and bicycles.

Very useful thing a polly t. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

we purchased from gardenpolytunnels.ie At first we looked at a smaller one but i found it to clostraphobic so then we looked at a 18 x40 it had nice space and cost 1500. He then gave us a price of 2000 for the 18 x72 tunnel all that extra space for 500.The children can play out there we are going to put our garden table and chairs in ther maybe grow vines and flowers pumkins.ok it aint cheap but if it lasts 10 years and we get the enjoyment out of it that we hope,it will be worth it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

that is fantastic, and being able to use them as playgrounds in winter is a huge bonus, at least they are out in the daylight, does not matter the weather,

• Advertisement
Advertisement