Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consulting work.

Options
  • 06-07-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

I have been browsing the job sites lately and noticed that the big consultancy firms in Ireland are constantly recruiting senior people (5 years experience plus). Can anybody give me insight into what a senior software related role would be like in one of these firms? Are these firms pretty much the same to work for?

I have been working as a contractor for the last few years. What is the difference between the roles? At the moment, I go into a company for a period of time and work on project x, usually on my own. As a senior consultant, would you be leading a team of graduates or would you just be a senior part of a team. I always thought consultants were teamed together with a project manager, tech lead, lead dev etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

COYW wrote: »
    I have been browsing the job sites lately and noticed that the big consultancy firms in Ireland are constantly recruiting senior people (5 years experience plus). Can anybody give me insight into what a senior software related role would be like in one of these firms? Are these firms pretty much the same to work for?

I have been working as a contractor for the last few years. What is the difference between the roles? At the moment, I go into a company for a period of time and work on project x, usually on my own. As a senior consultant, would you be leading a team of graduates or would you just be a senior part of a team. I always thought consultants were teamed together with a project manager, tech lead, lead dev etc.

I work for one of the big consulting companies and am a senior developer/team lead.

Yes, you would be working in a team. Usually with technology consultants who would be doing the BA and testing work. There's usually a manager doing the project management and overall leadership.

You would usually be working with fellow developers and if you were senior enough, you may be tasked with leading them but this probably wouldn't happen for a while after you joined and had proved your leadership ability. Even then, you would more than likely only be a technical lead who decides on the technical decisions which need to be made.

I'm actually looking at leaving to go contracting as the money is not good in these consulting companies.

Can I ask why you're considering a permanent job in one of the consulting companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

John_Mc wrote: »
    I work for one of the big consulting companies and am a senior developer/team lead.

Yes, you would be working in a team. Usually with technology consultants who would be doing the BA and testing work. There's usually a manager doing the project management and overall leadership.

You would usually be working with fellow developers and if you were senior enough, you may be tasked with leading them but this probably wouldn't happen for a while after you joined and had proved your leadership ability. Even then, you would more than likely only be a technical lead who decides on the technical decisions which need to be made.

I'm actually looking at leaving to go contracting as the money is not good in these consulting companies.

Can I ask why you're considering a permanent job in one of the consulting companies?

I am just curious to be honest. I have a good contract available to me for the upcoming future but I was just wondering what the consultancy role would be like.

I have done some more research and was surprised by the level of pay for such a role in consulting. It is no more than you would receive as a .Net developer as a permanent employee in most companies without the hassle of moving location. It is certainly well below contracting levels.

Advertisement