Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple mail in repair

• 06-07-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

My warranty is up now on the 16th of July and my home button has completely stopped functioning.

I scheduled a repair with Apple and they are sending me out a box to send them my iPhone 4 in.

Just wondering where exactly my phone goes and who manages the deliverys.

Also wondering how long will I be without a phone?

Getting a little worried of sending my 600 euro phone in the post :(

How are apple with their tracking of my phone?

Sorry for all the questions just don't want anything bad to happen to my phone!

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

lee3155 wrote: »

Goes via UPS to their repair centre in the UK

Can't help you here - I took the option of getting them to post out a replacement phone to me straight away, they then put a hold on your credit card until they get your one from the courier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Apple will send you a box and UPS plastic envelope by an post, as soon as you receive it call UPS to schedule a collection, the telephone number is in the little booklet that will come with it. Remove your SIM and put the phone in the box and UPS will sigh your booklet to confirm they have received it. Two day delivery to Apple in the UK and one day repair and two days back from UK to you via UPS again. I sent mine on a monday and had a new phone back by Friday afternoon. Also Applecare will email you at each stage to keep you updated.
    Best customer care I have had IMHO.

( They replaced my phone with a new one because of a software issue they had never seen before)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

long_b wrote: »
    Goes via UPS to their repair centre in the UK

Can't help you here - I took the option of getting them to post out a replacement phone to me straight away, they then put a hold on your credit card until they get your one from the courier.

Never got that option :\

Also, my warranty is up on the 16th, I probably wont recieve the box to mail it in until tuesday or so and then it could take ten days or more before the service takes place.

One thing I'm concerned about is, what if my iPhone runs out of warranty during this process, will it matter? Or will it be okay because I booked the repair before my Warranty ran out?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hey all,

My warranty is up now on the 16th of July and my home button has completely stopped functioning.

I scheduled a repair with Apple and they are sending me out a box to send them my iPhone 4 in.

Getting a little worried of sending my 600 euro phone in the post :(

How are apple with their tracking of my phone?

Sorry for all the questions just don't want anything bad to happen to my phone!

Thanks all.

Read the instructions very carefully when you get them from UPS. Turnaround is usually less than a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They have to honour a warranty if you notified them of the fault within the warranty period.

• Advertisement

That's great thank god!

One more thing :lol:

The issue with my home button, sometimes it doesn't work, nearly all the time, however sometimes it does. Will they know this?
    I was readind through and they said if there is nothing wrong with the device then I will have to pay shipping and a sales tax.

I Should have really told them that while placing the repair. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The home button is so common I doubt they'll even look at the phone.

Don't worry about UPS. Get the driver to sign the booklet that comes with the return box and if the phone gets lost they'll send you a new one (and a nice present from the Apple store!).

If you received the box on Monday for example, you should have the new phone by Friday in my experience. It's a great service, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

You'll get a nice new-refurb in about 5 working days, I sent mine back with a home button problem just like yours..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Just a quick question in relation. My 4s power button has become stuck so I've to send it off to apple. I know they usually repair these kind of faults but if the send me out a new phone instead will it be unlocked as the 4s that I have now is.

Cheers.

Duff wrote: »
    Just a quick question in relation. My 4s power button has become stuck so I've to send it off to apple. I know they usually repair these kind of faults but if the send me out a new phone instead will it be unlocked as the 4s that I have now is.

Cheers.

You will get a new-refurb and it will be unlocked..

• Advertisement

Cheers lads,

Requested the repair on the weekend so should get the box tomorrow.

Will let ye know how it get's on!

- Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

And the refurbs are 100% undistinguishable from new bar the serial number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sorry to hijack the thread guys but I've had a power button failure too. Im abroad for a few days and then back in Ireland for a few days. I put the repair request through but never got the option to do the refurb replacement request.

I really need to pay the €30 or whatever so that when I get home I can just swap the phones and send the broken one on its way before I head off again.

Trouble is, I can't find a +353 number to ring apple. The 1850 number doesn't work from where I am in Spain.

Is there a number I can ring them on, or else a direct email so I can arrange for them to take my cc details and pay for the direct replacement?

Trotter wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread guys but I've had a power button failure too. Im abroad for a few days and then back in Ireland for a few days. I put the repair request through but never got the option to do the refurb replacement request.

I really need to pay the €30 or whatever so that when I get home I can just swap the phones and send the broken one on its way before I head off again.

Trouble is, I can't find a +353 number to ring apple. The 1850 number doesn't work from where I am in Spain.

Is there a number I can ring them on, or else a direct email so I can arrange for them to take my cc details and pay for the direct replacement?

They have it on their site :D

(353) 1850 946 191 They say from abroad to ring the apple ireland support and 1850 946 191 if your in Ireland.

Just got the care package in the post.

I'm starting to love apple now, packaging is top notch and everything is covered :D

It's getting sent off tomorrow now so hopefully I should see it back sometime next week!

- Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Trotter wrote: »

they also put a €500 hold on a credit card until they get the broken phone back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for the help! I got a relative to make the calls at home so I'm all sorted.

Hey guys,

Kind of worried right now,

A fella in a taxi came and picked up my phone?

He signed the apple book but never gave me a receipt?

Is this right or? I suppose it is cause he knew and was expecting it but I was expecting a UPS van.

Please notify me!

Hey guys,

Kind of worried right now,

A fella in a taxi came and picked up my phone?

He signed the apple book but never gave me a receipt?

Is this right or? I suppose it is cause he knew and was expecting it but I was expecting a UPS van.

Please notify me!

Jaysus I don't like the sound of that, did you get the plate/reg number?

bryaner wrote: »
    Jaysus I don't like the sound of that, did you get the plate/reg number?

Nah, have his name and sig though and he works for a local taxi company.

However, my dad was a taxi driver and said he used to pick up parcels. The fella had other parcels in the car as well.

I'm going to ring UPS anyways just to confirm with them, don't know how else he would of got my address.

Nah, have his name and sig though and he works for a local taxi company.

However, my dad was a taxi driver and said he used to pick up parcels. The fella had other parcels in the car as well.

I'm going to ring UPS anyways just to confirm with them, don't know how else he would of got my address.

Maybe if they don't have a van in the area they get taxi's to do a few runs so..

• Advertisement

Maybe if they don't have a van in the area they get taxi's to do a few runs so..

Hope so, was just onto UPS, the girl was suspicious alright, she said they are supposed to scan the barcode and give a reciept. Unless when the taxi driver hands over the package that will happen.

She was putting me onto her supervisor and I got cut off, time to try again.

God help me, I hope I didn't just throw away a €600 iPhone :(

Hope so, was just onto UPS, the girl was suspicious alright, she said they are supposed to scan the barcode and give a reciept. Unless when the taxi driver hands over the package that will happen.

She was putting me onto her supervisor and I got cut off, time to try again.

God help me, I hope I didn't just throw away a €600 iPhone :(

We are a very suspicious lot us Irish, keep us updated..

We are a very suspicious lot us Irish, keep us updated..

Will do, just got back onto the supervisor, surprise surprise, their irish call center is in America? haha anyways he said to keep tracking it and if it doesn't update by midnight then get back onto them.

They never heard of giving it to a taxi driver before, only to a registered UPS driver.

Also, just wondering if anyone else who sent their phone off for repair. How was it collected? By UPS van or like me, by taxi driver?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

mine was collected by UPS, no way on earth i'd be giving it to any lad in a taxi

guil wrote: »
    mine was collected by UPS, no way on earth i'd be giving it to any lad in a taxi

I live in a small town so I figured they don't send vans here, The taxi driver said he was picking up a package for UPS and he was from Dublin, Dublin reg.

I figured if he knew my address and said he was from UPS then there is no reason he wouldn't be. I'd say he's getting paid a few bob to collect the packages in more remote towns.

Still no update on the tracking, anyone know how long it would take for the package to reach UPS's center in Dublin?

guil wrote: »

I live in a small town so I figured they don't send vans here, The taxi driver said he was picking up a package for UPS and he was from Dublin, Dublin reg.

I figured if he knew my address and said he was from UPS then there is no reason he wouldn't be. I'd say he's getting paid a few bob to collect the packages in more remote towns.

Still no update on the tracking, anyone know how long it would take for the package to reach UPS's center in Dublin?

Any sign of it with ups yet?

Any sign of it with ups yet?

Nope no sign of the tracking being upped this morning, they still don't have it.

A UPS van never showed up either so I'm guessing he was legit. Only time will tell I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I've ordered a few things from Apple that were delivered by UPS/TNT via taxi. Only once did I ever see a van.

Hey guys,

Just looked today. There was a problem with the UPS site and my tracking wasn't being updated all the time. In fact my iPhone is already in the UK and should be back with me in a couple of days.

They did apoligize. I'm just glad it's in their hands. Thansk for all your help everyone!

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Just looked today. There was a problem with the UPS site and my tracking wasn't being updated all the time. In fact my iPhone is already in the UK and should be back with me in a couple of days.

They did apoligize. I'm just glad it's in their hands. Thansk for all your help everyone!

Good to know Op thanks for the update..

Advertisement