Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meal ideas/modifications for a teen girl

• 06-07-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    so I'm aiming to lose 15 pounds in the next six weeks - I'm currently 121 pounds and roughly 5' in height. I've got the fitness side of things covered - I'm a boxer and aim to train 3/4 times a week and on the other days I do a combo of cardio and resistance training.
    The area I really fall down in is nutrition and a proper diet. My family are no help when it comes to this - there's always biscuits, cakes, etc. in the house, there's never vegetables unless I go out and get them, and I'm restricted by what's cooked for dinner every day. I also find that when I make food I end up throwing it out because I'm the only one that eats it - I haven't yet cracked quantity control! We did a trial run where I cooked every day for a week, but it didn't go down very well and we've gone back to the normal dinners.
    I'm getting sick of it at this stage and I just what to know what's the best thing to eat because I'm not overweight or anything but these extra few pounds are bugging me. I've gathered that protein > carbs and I've decided to cut out white bread and cereals for the time being, drink more water to keep me feeling full, eat eggs for breakfast and snack on fruit. Can anyone give me other ideas as to what I should eat for lunch, dinner, etc.? They have to be simple, relatively cheap and nutritious (I'll be the only one making and eating them). I'd be really grateful. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

What do you currently eat?

I don't think you need to lose any weight btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

I will not give out diet advice to you, OP, because losing 15 pounds at your weight is excessive, and quite frankly, worrying.

My only advice I would give is don't even consider trying to lose that amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

I, ll offer nutrition advice very simple and basic ...whilst and i cant stress this enough i dont think you need to lose weight but i can however helpyou increase your musclemass and energy so that your health is not affected.

Firstly when it comes to food if your family is unwilling to bend i say be as unyielding and strongly affirm your goals to them and ask them for support.

If this is not forthcoming simply choose to eat your mealsin aseperate room...what i would also suggest doing is getting a designated cupboard which is for your food only so you wont be tempted by biccies and crisps.

Now the rule of thumb with quantity control is quarter of the normal household amount were with rice and pastas i find a level tea mug makes a helful hint.

With meat were possible stay away from spar centra and those other rubbish places goto certified butchers ..remember these lads are your friends and will suggest portion sizes but 1 full chicken breast and 1 full pork orlamb chop sliced is usually sufficent.( add a crushed seed dressing for taste) you can figure out your own taste combos as you go.

With vegetables now this is key ...STEAM STEAM STEAM .cooks the vegetables without losing any of the nutrients contained within.

The most important rule of losing weight by toning and not by dieting is moderation coupled with light impact exercise to start remember your body is in transition at the minute so i wouldlower your exercise to twice a week for the first month ...remember this is not a race fad dieting seriously affects your body and youll put the weight back on twice as quick.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask but i will make one point very clearly ..wen undertaking any major lifestyle change PLEASE consult your GP inform them of your plans so they can offer mediacl advice to assist you in your toning keep fit regime.

All the very best to you and i hope you achieve your goals ...but not to the detrement ofyour health ...Be Safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fionadirk

Hi...I would like to add something here. Well, losing 15 pounds in such a short period of time is not at all good for health. Try losing weight to some extent. I think you should consult some weight loss expert for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I will not give out diet advice to you, OP, because losing 15 pounds at your weight is excessive, and quite frankly, worrying.

My only advice I would give is don't even consider trying to lose that amount.

Did you see the part where she said she was only 5 foot. Pretty relevant to whether or not wanting to get under 110 lbs is excessive. A healthy weight range is very much relative to height. While 121 is perfectly fine, I don't imagine 106lbs would be underweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

Mellor wrote: »
    Did you see the part where she said she was only 5 foot. Pretty relevant to whether or not wanting to get under 110 lbs is excessive. A healthy weight range is very much relative to height. While 121 is perfectly fine, I don't imagine 106lbs would be underweight.

Maybe you missed the part where she said she is a 'teen girl'. She could be underage, and I personally think it is worrying and dangerous for a young girl to be losing 15 lbs in a short period of time even though she is a healthy weight now.

I wonder where boards.ie stands with regards to children(if she is sub-18) looking for advice on how to become 106lbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

@ doctor ...firstly she asked for advice and she certainly didnt ask for personal opinions ...would your 2 cents be better spent on this page advising instead of criticising ...this young girl could very need to speak to someone in regards to self image and as i pointed out she MOST DEF needs to speak to a gp in regards to her lifestyle choice ....i dont think you or i are in aposition to judge this girl which is why offering advice instead of concern is warranted in this case ....Remember Doc Thread softly for its those dreams ...

Maybe you missed the part where she said she is a 'teen girl'. She could be underage, and I personally think it is worrying and dangerous for a young girl to be losing 15 lbs in a short period of time even though she is a healthy weight now.

I wonder where boards.ie stands with regards to children(if she is sub-18) looking for advice on how to become 106lbs?
    There's a vast difference between13 and 19. In terms of growth. You've said it was worrying twice now yet you haven't offered a reason as to why it's worrying. It's perfectly normal for people involved with sports based on body weight divisions to shed unnecessary fat. It's not unhealthy to be 106lbs @ 5'0".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Can I just react here lads - when I say lose 15 pounds, I'm talking about losing 15 pounds of fat - I have no problem with my technical weight, I'm just a bit concerned about what it's comprised of. I have no problem with being 121 lbs - hell, I have no problem with being 221 lbs, so long as it's pure muscle and not fat. I'm well aware that my BMI is healthy for both my age and height, and all I want to do is tone up a little, increase my muscle mass and most importantly, improve my eating habits - hence why I asked for MEAL suggestions. I'm hardly asking on tips on how to starve myself, and I don't believe 2 1/2 lbs is severe in terms of weekly weight loss. Even if it were I could afford to slow it down to stretch over a longer time frame, say 3 months. I've done my homework on this and I'm a bit shocked at the extreme conclusions to which you're all jumping. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

A big mistake is cooking family size healthy meals when the whole family is not on a diet so unless they are dieting with you forget that!
    Only cook one size portions for yourself,that would be something simple like a curry,measure one half cup of rice - thats one portion,and add meat/veg chopped up with onion - fry for about 10/15 mins on medium heat watching to turn so it doesnt burn,and add curry powder and yoghurt and water/or curry sauce..

• Advertisement

SChique00 wrote: »
    I'm hardly asking on tips on how to starve myself, and I don't believe 2 1/2 lbs is severe in terms of weekly weight loss. Even if it were I could afford to slow it down to stretch over a longer time frame, say 3 months.

Just on this point. 2 1/2 lbs a week is easy for a 221lb overweight man, but for you it would be quite hard. The reason is that being smaller your BMR is lower to begin with and unfortunately 1lb of fat requires the same deficit as everyone else. The flip side to this is that losing 1lb is greater relative improvement on a smaller frame. By all means go for it, just be aware of the differences for your frame.

As for meal ideas any of the endless variations of lean meat and a variety of vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Hey OP,
    Regardless of whether you want to lose fat or not I do think that it's great that you are starting to look at quality of food that your eating.
    The area I really fall down in is nutrition and a proper diet. My family are no help when it comes to this - there's always biscuits, cakes, etc. in the house, there's never vegetables unless I go out and get them, and I'm restricted by what's cooked for dinner every day.
    My house was pretty much like this when I lived at home and I basically went by the principle of eat whatever meat is on offer and cook my own veg to go with it. I still do this to this day whenever I go home for dinner:pac::pac::pac:
    I also find that when I make food I end up throwing it out because I'm the only one that eats it - I haven't yet cracked quantity control!
    Freeze it!!! I make loads of dinners at the start of the week and freeze them to have later in the week.
    We did a trial run where I cooked every day for a week, but it didn't go down very well and we've gone back to the normal dinners.
    That was a great idea! I'm just curious as to why it didn't go well? They didnt like the food on offer?

You mention that you train most days a week, so you're probably aware of the need to feed your body adequately and nutritiously so that you can train.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Locked at OP request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement