Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fastfood employees tell us what to avoid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Shamrok wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I thought more workers in these places might give us some advice though. Like me most of the replies are from customers.

Perhaps they're too busy in work to be bothered about engaging in hysterical fastfood urban myths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Thanks for all the replies. I thought more workers in these places might give us some advice though. Like me most of the replies are from customers.

Your timing in looking posts from workers might be a little off, I 'd say they were either all working earlier or asleep now.

Myself ? I'm fond of fast food when I'm drunk.... 'hic' ....'where are you snatch box ?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I work in a pub/restaurant, would avoid lemons for the same reason the poster above said. And the mint leaves in mojitos would be black sometimes if they're a few days old.

The food though, is grand. Haven't seen anything wrong and the kitchen is spotless.

There used to be a kebab shop in town where you wouldn't go unless you were locked cos it'd be the only place open but they got closed down twice for microwaving everything and the yolk the doner meat is on was full of flies. Pure filth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I always knew their chicken was crap, what are yer opinions of the burgers? I like a burger every now and then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Avoid places that lie to you about the fish, if you ask them is the Cod really Cod and they say, "yes of course"! then just give him the finger and leave

Can't between KFC for a hangover.. I don't even think it tastes that good, my body just craves it and only when I've been drinking the night before. As a general point, I really don't care about what's in my food or how it's cooked. If it tastes good and doesn't make me sick, I'll happily eat it.

kryogen wrote: »
    Avoid places that lie to you about the fish, if you ask them is the Cod really Cod and they say, "yes of course"! then just give him the finger and leave

Why? Cod is endangered and it's a full blown retarded opinion of the Irish that cod is the only fish worth eating.. You should ask them if it tastes like cod and then be happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I worked in a takeaway for years. (not a chain) and trust me, the regulations are very strict. The Health Board visit at least once every 5-8 weeks and if 1 thing is'nt up to standard, you can be closed down.

I'm vegetarian so there was'nt a lot I would eat, but if I was a meat eater, I'd have no problem eating there.

These little tales of people spitting in food etc are bs I'd imagine..unless of course you're a 16 year old looking for some street cred by making up stories ;)

All our veggie food was cooked in different oil (veg)to everything else...otherwise it's just false advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Order cod, get godsknowswhat from Vietnam

More profit for the chipper

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Order cod, get godsknowswhat from Vietnam

More profit for the chipper

Pollacks Mike! Pollacks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Hillbilly's Gravy (and possibly KFC's cuxz it kinda tastes the same) is made from scraping all the congealed fat off the fryer everynight and mixing it with water and oil. FACT.

Hillbilly's Gravy (and possibly KFC's cuxz it kinda tastes the same) is made from scraping all the congealed fat off the fryer everynight and mixing it with water and oil. FACT.

:confused: How would you have congealed fat in the fryers?
    Not saying you wouldnt, its just I cant picture it.

Our gravy was chicken based and tasted the same as KFC, (Ive been told.)
    When the chicken is deep fried (in its own fryer-machine thingy) the bits of coating and skin that fell off went into a basket underneath. This was collected and was added to a gravy with a base of flour, water and onion.(and a couple of secret ingredients)

Why? Cod is endangered and it's a full blown retarded opinion of the Irish that cod is the only fish worth eating.. You should ask them if it tastes like cod and then be happy with it.

Why? Because I dont like them lying to me thats why!!!

Generally the fish that they sell as Cod is Coley, no problem with that whatsoever but if they will lie to me about a simple thing like that then I dont trust them to comply with health and safety standards or have good produce.

So take your opinion that I have a retarded Irish opinion of Cod being the only fish to eat and stick it up your arse

Nice generalisation also

I enjoy a bit of salmon, you have a nice day :)

Edit: just to add, if I went into a pub and ordered a Guinnes, was served Murphys but the bar man insisted it was Guiness I would also not be giving that place my business! I dont discriminate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

How can fast food workers have the intelligence to tell anyone what not to eat, that's the reason they work there. Lack of it.

I'm sure that attitude to fast food workers has rewarded you with more than one McDropped On Floor Burger.

Also, by saying its Cod the chipper charges more for it, for the reasons you stated, its endangered, costs more for them to buy in. When they sell you Coley and charge you for Cod they are ripping you off

eamon234 wrote: »
    I'm sure that attitude to fast food workers has rewarded you with more than one McDropped On Floor Burger.

10 second rule applies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Chucken wrote: »
    :confused: How would you have congealed fat in the fryers?
    Not saying you wouldnt, its just I cant picture it.

Our gravy was chicken based and tasted the same as KFC, (Ive been told.)
    When the chicken is deep fried (in its own fryer-machine thingy) the bits of coating and skin that fell off went into a basket underneath. This was collected and was added to a gravy with a base of flour, water and onion.(and a couple of secret ingredients)

When theyve cooled? Im not sure -Two of my friends worked there and told me that - Maybe youre right in the way youve described it? Either way its disgusting!

When theyve cooled? Im not sure -Two of my friends worked there and told me that - Maybe youre right in the way youve described it? Either way its disgusting!

I dont think so. I mean you make gravy at home from the juices and bits from roast chicken, same difference.
    I'd say your friends were telling stories ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Remember the refresher bars you could buy? For some reason my oul fella didn't want me to eat them when I was young so told me they were made from the sweepings off the factory floor. Your friends must be concerned about what you eat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

That might possibly just be the way you make it. Otherwise, nah, not fact-the congealed grease is like motor oil and nobody with a neck connected to their ar5e would eat more than a tiny taste - it would be like eating gear oil.
    My company do maintenance in a lot of fast food places and also a fair few service stations with deli counters. There are some dodgy ones but it's obvious, they look tatty in every regard and usually are tatty behind the scenes. The ones that look tidy out front are usually equally tidy out back. Do judge by appearances and you won't go far wrong. We repair and unblock hundreds of places toilets, and it's also true, you can judge a whole place by the state of their jax.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

McDonalds chips are salted with the tears of children

John Doe1 wrote: »
    McDonalds chips are salted with the tears of children
    they stopped using those last year, it's now a gluten free sodium based tear substitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

G
    Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

İ worked in a fast food joint,i wont name which on (supermacs).The only bad thing i noticed is that the drinks had a slimey layer on top one nite,it was corrected straight away.Other then that it was very strick and clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Five Guys Appears to Be Safe: For now, no one has refuted user Cameron432's claim that they freeze nothing and make most everything fresh.

why am i not surprised, best fast food establishment i have ever been in, yes its more expensive but the quality is on a different planet from the big chains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Used to work in the cinema & now wouldn't go near the cheese sauce for nacos. I'm sure it's probably fine, but having to squeeze it out of a cold refrigerated bag while cold & the smell of it heating up (if you're hungover esp) — can't go near it!

Still get the popcorn though, even after learning that you're eating the stuff they made two days ago & the stuff you see being made is actually going into a store room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Pottler wrote: »
    they stopped using those last year, it's now a gluten free sodium based tear substitute.

The kids that have to make it are still crying though so it's a bit of a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

remember here on boards someone telling long time ago not to order special sauce in MacDonalds ,as every worker ads spit,snots,jizz ant whatever they can squeeze into it :D he said thats why its called special :pac:
    seriously dont know how truth is that but i imagine there could be similar sauces going in many places with staff being bored ,insulted,under waged or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I used to work in bars, but the one bit of advice I have is ask for no lemons. People just pick them out and chop them up with the same hands they've been handling cash with and don't get that they're essentially handling food. Icky.
    Maybe you do that. I wash my hands before and after slicing the fruit and I use a tongs for handling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was it just me or was Jesus Shaves holding his own pretty well there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

MCMLXXV wrote: »

His feet were firmly planted but he was standing in a poor spot.

holding his own what? Flute? You calling jesus shaves a wnkr? That's a bit harsh, I think he was just being a dick. If he was called mohammed shaves, there'd be a fatwah on him from the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

thread is making a man hungry om nom nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

He was alright - his initial dig at fast food workers was dickish but he was just defending himself after that.

He was alright - his initial dig at fast food workers was dickish but he was just defending himself after that.
    he's probably got tired of the whole "turn the other cheek" thing after all these years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

My ex and a housemate used to work in a certain cinema in the centre of Cork which remains open but shall remain eerily nameless, and the popcorn gets (got? Things change... But the popcorn tastes the same) made/popped once a week, on a Sunday, batch after batch, until 20-30 Jumbo bin-liners were packed with the shit, and stored in a stock-room for use until the next Sunday.

The popcorn gets brought out before opening, refilled and reheated while movies are on, lest anybody discover the Mystery of the Soft Over-Salted Popcorn.

Gross. Especially on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Whenever someone ordered a scone, pastry, or biscuits, in the hotel I used to work in, the staff would grab them all out of a big bucket with their filthy smokey hands.

Also those tiny bread rolls that come with soup, don't ever eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I'd avoid the roast penis. Yep definitely the roast penis.

I had a BBQ penis skewer when i was in Taskent. It was gristly and nasty so yes, Always avoid the roast penis if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I worked in a few different hotels and a Chinese restaurant/takeaway and despite the jokes people make about Chinese establishments it was the cleanest most stringent kitchen I ever worked in. The food and preparation methods were very good quality, probably better than a lot of 'quality' Irish restaurants. One thing I would avoid is eating the salad garnish they served with food, it wouldn't be very fresh. Oh, and learn what a finger bowl is, it's not for drinking out of :rolleyes:

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Whenever someone ordered a scone, pastry, or biscuits, in the hotel I used to work in, the staff would grab them all out of a big bucket with their filthy smokey hands.

Also those tiny bread rolls that come with soup, don't ever eat them.

My mother used to work as a waitress in a hotel and she said they used to put old stale bread rolls in the oven and sprinkle the top with water, apparently it makes them appear fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

In a place I used to work, the 'celiac' food was cooked in the same oil as the battered fish and chips :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The "onions" in McD's are awful, rehydrated balls of crap, left to soak overnight in a sink. Never be abusive to the counter staff. If you can order something with something extra or something missing, you'll usually get a fresh item cooked just for you. Oh and those red and black numbers behind the products? Match them up to the red and black numbers on the clock and that's how long ago they were cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once ordered a burger in McDonalds. The young lad behind the counter asked what kind of burger I wanted. I replied "just a regular burger". He turned around and asked someone else working there "do we sell regular burgers?".

I'm now a vegetarian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

That crap in the video remind's me of a skinned python I saw being prepared for cooking in northeast Thailand.Don't like nugget's but loved the python and no it did not taste like chicken.
    KFC is king in my eye's,but hater's gonna hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Know people who've worked in a few places and honestly all the suspicion about crap ingredients or bad practices are from an era gone by. Fast food is prepared at a very high standard in this country, a higher standard than a lot of restaurants in fact.

Theres so much suspicion and inspection now that none of the major chains will hire kids or suspect individuals like they used to. I'd be weary of non-chain fast food or small chains but any of the regular chains are held to very high standards, its a competitive market after all and one bad story would very quickly swing customers to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I once ordered a burger in McDonalds. The young lad behind the counter asked what kind of burger I wanted. I replied "just a regular burger". He turned around and asked someone else working there "do we sell regular burgers?".

I'm now a vegetarian.

Are you also one of those people who think that they're making some sort of stand by asking for a "regular coffee" in coffee shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when we ran out of slimline milk in bewleys we used to mix half of a bottle of regular full milk and water in the same slimline bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How can fast food workers have the intelligence to tell anyone what not to eat, that's the reason they work there. Lack of it.

I worked in a fast food place while I was in college. I'd bet money I am much smarter than you too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Its good that there at least telling us the calorie count finally,but if they were to tell us the ingredients,we would probably never order out again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They do, sort of

Dawn Foods in Kildare supply every Subway in Europe

McDonalds is the biggest purchaser of Irish beef and use it all over Europe

A lot of jobs depend on these companies, not just the fast food employees

• Advertisement
Advertisement