Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fastfood employees tell us what to avoid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

when we ran out of slimline milk in bewleys we used to mix half of a bottle of regular full milk and water in the same slimline bottle

That's probably what the manufacturers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

when we ran out of slimline milk in bewleys we used to mix half of a bottle of regular full milk and water in the same slimline bottle
    And? That's pretty much what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

How can fast food workers have the intelligence to tell anyone what not to eat, that's the reason they work there. Lack of it.

I work in a fast food chipper and I took that very offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I worked in a fast food place for 2 years, up til a few weeks ago.

I'm not going to get into the details, but all I'll say is, I will NEVER eat fast food again after working in a fast food place. And I'd strongly advise everyone else to do the same. The hygiene standards are sickening, and HACCP is rarely followed properly.

Ginny wrote: »
    The "onions" in McD's are awful, rehydrated balls of crap, left to soak overnight in a sink. Never be abusive to the counter staff. If you can order something with something extra or something missing, you'll usually get a fresh item cooked just for you. Oh and those red and black numbers behind the products? Match them up to the red and black numbers on the clock and that's how long ago they were cooked.

Totally right. And if you want to know whether the food has been sitting there too long, it's 20 minutes for beef and 10 minutes for chicken products.

Know people who've worked in a few places and honestly all the suspicion about crap ingredients or bad practices are from an era gone by. Fast food is prepared at a very high standard in this country, a higher standard than a lot of restaurants in fact.

Theres so much suspicion and inspection now that none of the major chains will hire kids or suspect individuals like they used to. I'd be weary of non-chain fast food or small chains but any of the regular chains are held to very high standards, its a competitive market after all and one bad story would very quickly swing customers to someone else.

I don't know about McDonald's or Burger King, but the place I worked in (a very large fast food chain, in the second biggest store in Ireland) was disgraceful when it came to hygiene and food preparation.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

I used to work in a chipper when finishing my PhD in UL. The kitchen was completely out of sight so you can imagine the stuff that went on. We used to p1ss on the chips, put the burgers up our arses and rub our balls etc on food.

One of the lads pushed a chicken leg or something so far up his ring that his hole started bleeding. No messing.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I worked in a fast food place for 2 years, up til a few weeks ago.

I'm not going to get into the details, but all I'll say is, I will NEVER eat fast food again after working in a fast food place. And I'd strongly advise everyone else to do the same. The hygiene standards are sickening, and HACCP is rarely followed properly.

That could be put up for debate.

It all depends on the owner really.

1. Where I work, everytime we use the till, we have a sink close by and we have to wash out hands everytime after handling money. We also have to wash our hands after being near the bin, stocking up stuff (touching the boxes from the store room) etc...

2. We have to clean up after every order to prevent a mess.

3. All food is prepared early morning before we open the doors. (fresh cod, battered sausages etc..).

4. We usually get a couple of complaints because of the amount of time it takes to cook the chips, however, we make sure they are fully cooked and have the best taste.

5. We have a cleanup hour, every hour on the hour. We swap with other staff and we clean everything, mop the floor etc...

6. We cook our sausages through and make sure they are piping hot. Battered sausages are slowly cooked then battered and put in a cold fridge.

7. Our sausages are brought in every morning to prevent them from being frozen and to make sure they are 100% fresh.

With all these we get tons of happy customers at the end of the day. There are tons more stuff we do to make sure we are above standards and at the end of the day it really does pay off. There are always the unhappy bunch but ah well what can you do.

However, not all chippers do this and only care about profit, like I said it's always about the owner.

lee3155 wrote: »
    That could be put up for debate.

It all depends on the owner really.

1. Where I work, everytime we use the till, we have a sink close by and we have to wash out hands everytime after handling money. We also have to wash our hands after being near the bin, stocking up stuff (touching the boxes from the store room) etc...

2. We have to clean up after every order to prevent a mess.

3. All food is prepared early morning before we open the doors. (fresh cod, battered sausages etc..).

4. We usually get a couple of complaints because of the amount of time it takes to cook the chips, however, we make sure they are fully cooked and have the best taste.

5. We have a cleanup hour, every hour on the hour. We swap with other staff and we clean everything, mop the floor etc...

6. We cook our sausages through and make sure they are piping hot. Battered sausages are slowly cooked then battered and put in a cold fridge.

7. Our sausages are brought in every morning to prevent them from being frozen and to make sure they are 100% fresh.

With all these we get tons of happy customers at the end of the day. There are tons more stuff we do to make sure we are above standards and at the end of the day it really does pay off. There are always the unhappy bunch but ah well what can you do.

However, not all chippers do this and only care about profit, like I said it's always about the owner.

Where I worked (it wasn't a chipper, it was a chain of restaurants), food was regularly left in the hot storage places for too long and still served up, chicken products were regularly not cooked for long enough, hands weren't washed after touching raw meat, moving swiftly on to touching cooked food, correct tongs were not used, hand washing was not done as often as it should have been, people would do things like empty bins and then not wash their hands, smoke and not wash their hands, prep food by hand when it should be done with tongs/gloves, cold food was regularly above the 'safe' temperature. I remember one incident, recently, where a daddy long legs got into the fries in the fry dump. I told the manager and was told to just remove it and continue to serve those same chips. :eek:

I'm sure other places have fantastic hygiene standards, but from my experience, I will never eat fast food again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

kegzmc wrote: »
    I used to work in a chipper when finishing my PhD in UL. The kitchen was completely out of sight so you can imagine the stuff that went on. We used to p1ss on the chips, put the burgers up our arses and rub our balls etc on food.

One of the lads pushed a chicken leg or something so far up his ring that his hole started bleeding. No messing.
    Oh god :(

• Advertisement

Where I worked (it wasn't a chipper, it was a chain of restaurants), food was regularly left in the hot storage places for too long and still served up, chicken products were regularly not cooked for long enough, hands weren't washed after touching raw meat, moving swiftly on to touching cooked food, correct tongs were not used, hand washing was not done as often as it should have been, people would do things like empty bins and then not wash their hands, smoke and not wash their hands, prep food by hand when it should be done with tongs/gloves, cold food was regularly above the 'safe' temperature. I remember one incident, recently, where a daddy long legs got into the fries in the fry dump. I told the manager and was told to just remove it and continue to serve those same chips. :eek:

I'm sure other places have fantastic hygiene standards, but from my experience, I will never eat fast food again.

God that would make me sick, I couldn't work for a place like that!

I wasn't mad into the idea of working for a chip shop for the summer but I need the cash and by jesus where I work now, I'm treated like family :D But yeah, it really does depend on the place, the owner and wether or not he wants it for the money or for the customer satisfaction.

May I mind you my boss is an Italian :rolleyes:

God that would make me sick, I couldn't work for a place like that!

I wasn't mad into the idea of working for a chip shop for the summer but I need the cash and by jesus where I work now, I'm treated like family :D But yeah, it really does depend on the place, the owner and wether or not he wants it for the money or for the customer satisfaction.

May I mind you my boss is an Italian :rolleyes:

I've found that chippers tend to have much better hygience practises than chains of fast food restaurants.

Believe me, it was hell working there. I spent the entire day scrubbing the place in between customers because the place was so disgusting. And this is a huge place that grosses millions per year. :eek:

I've found that chippers tend to have much better hygience practises than chains of fast food restaurants.

Believe me, it was hell working there. I spent the entire day scrubbing the place in between customers because the place was so disgusting. And this is a huge place that grosses millions per year. :eek:

I suppose though people have more trust in these big named companies that they think it's okay to eat there, problem is, the kitchen and nearly everything is always hidden. Don't like it one bit!

I suppose though people have more trust in these big named companies that they think it's okay to eat there, problem is, the kitchen and nearly everything is always hidden. Don't like it one bit!

Yup, almost every part of the kicthens were hidden. The only place where the hygiene was any good was in the pizza section and that's only because we made the pizzas right in front of the customers, as the prep station was at the main counter. Plus, I was the main pizza maker for my last few months there, so I kept up pretty high standards of hygiene because I'd feel morally wrong feeding somebody something that was essentially dirty, regardless of whether or not it went into an oven after prep.

Yup, almost every part of the kicthens were hidden. The only place where the hygiene was any good was in the pizza section and that's only because we made the pizzas right in front of the customers, as the prep station was at the main counter. Plus, I was the main pizza maker for my last few months there, so I kept up pretty high standards of hygiene because I'd feel morally wrong feeding somebody something that was essentially dirty, regardless of whether or not it went into an oven after prep.

Exactly. I always keep up high standards, mainly cause we get a ton of locals into us and I know them all, there is no way I could work for or be associated with a place with bad hygiene. Would give me a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

But I like chicken nuggets

Exactly. I always keep up high standards, mainly cause we get a ton of locals into us and I know them all, there is no way I could work for or be associated with a place with bad hygiene. Would give me a bad name.

That's exactly how I felt. However, I needed the job because I needed a way to pay my rent. :pac: So I just kept everything I served properly cooked (thankfully I was trained in all sections so could do the cooking, too) and made sure my stations were spotless. :)

That's exactly how I felt. However, I needed the job because I needed a way to pay my rent. :pac: So I just kept everything I served properly cooked (thankfully I was trained in all sections so could do the cooking, too) and made sure my stations were spotless. :)

And the kitchen was hidden, where as the chip shop I work for, everything is visible :pac:

Glad to see some people here anyways that take pride in their work, my boss would love you :D

And the kitchen was hidden, where as the chip shop I work for, everything is visible :pac:

Glad to see some people here anyways that take pride in their work, my boss would love you :D

Ask him has he got any jobs going :p I've been unemployed 2 weeks and it's killing me! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ask him has he got any jobs going :p I've been unemployed 2 weeks and it's killing me! :pac:

If only we we're in Dublin :D

If only we we're in Dublin :D

FML :pac: Where are ye? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

But I like chicken nuggets

Don't worry about chicen nuggets, the McDonalds ones aren't made from the sludge anymore ;)

FML :pac: Where are ye? :p

Waterford :p Bit of a treck :pac:

Waterford :p Bit of a treck :pac:

Ffs. And they say all the jobs are in Dublin.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

used to work in a butchers in a supermarket..
    they did a special offer once a week buy one lb of mince get one free.. shocking stuff that went in with the beef to bulk it out.
    they minced huge amounts of meat as they sold so much so in your mince chances are you would get small amounts of anything that was meant to go in the bin.. old bits of meat including pork and lamb hearts. anything that was out of date was thrown up to the deli to be cooked off and sold.
    and if something fell on the floor.. dust it off and throw it back into the fridge!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

MagicSean wrote: »
    I worked in a fast food place while I was in college. I'd bet money I am much smarter than you too.

More arrogant, maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Back already?

I thought you got banned just the other day

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Back already?

I thought you got banned just the other day

2day ban, mustn't derail thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

2day ban, mustn't derail thread again

Didn't take you long to derail it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

Shryke wrote: »
    With fast food it's more a question of damage limitation. I seriously hope that anyone will know a taco fries is worse than a regular chip.

But taco fries are perfect in every possible way :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

There's a fast food place in my home town that gives most people food poisoning, I was (drunkenly) in the one night and all the moths and bugs flying around the cooking area was disgusting. Needless to say I didn't order anything or go back since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shryke wrote: »
    With fast food it's more a question of damage limitation. I seriously hope that anyone will know a taco fries is worse than a regular chip.

But taco fries are perfect in every possible way :confused:

The perfect suicide cocktail. To personal issues with you! Or suicide..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Best off just avoiding fast food altogether. It really is that fast, you don't wanna get struck down by a fish fillet burger at 120mph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

im assuming thats all made up.
    but why would someone do this? not just cos its a very scumbaggy thing to do, but why on earth would you stick a burger up yer hole?

event wrote: »

im assuming thats all made up.
    but why would someone do this? not just cos its a very scumbaggy thing to do, but why on earth would you stick a burger up yer hole?
    It wasn't a burger. It was a chicken drum stick

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

thats fine so

No it isn't. It's disgusting. I was a student back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

How can fast food workers have the intelligence to tell anyone what not to eat, that's the reason they work there. Lack of it.

Surely if you can make such a sweeping generalisation and believe it you're not particularly intelligent yourself, eh?

• Advertisement

Surely if you can make such a sweeping generalisation and believe it you're not particularly intelligent yourself, eh?

You can tell that just by looking at his name :pac:

Spot on. If I believed it

You can tell that just by looking at his name :pac:

Oh you're mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You're a liar, obsessed with urban myth and anything to do with the anus. A cursory glance at your posts on boards (pretending to be gay) confirms this.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

put the burgers up our arses

You're tripping yourself up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Omeceron wrote: »
    You're tripping yourself up...

Pants around his ankles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Most of the places i'd eat in (just chips really as a quick filler, it can be so easy to go a bit mad in a chippy and end up regretting it pretty quickly) tend to be local places with kitchens in plain view, freshly prepped ingredients and a low turnover of staff (a sign of a good establishment of any kind i feel), but i was having a durty feed in a Sligo chippy a few months back when the auld lad behind the counter decided to nip out for a fag. Never mind the fact he didn't pop a mint or wash his hands after, he lit up inside the door, stuck his head outside, decided it was too windy and stood back inside the door (which was perpendicular to his counter/chip prep area), smoking away.

I sat slack-jawed for a minute, prayed a health inspector would show up at that moment and swore 'never again'. I wonder what else he thinks is suitable to do in an establishment that sells grub? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Let me guess. It begins with an S and ends with S.
    And in between these s's, you would have what the german translation for over-apple macintosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

retalivity wrote: »
    Let me guess. It begins with an S and ends with S.
    And in between these s's, you would have what the german translation for over-apple macintosh
    Süberapfelmacintoshs :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

kegzmc wrote:
    We used to p1ss on the chips, put the burgers up our arses and rub our balls etc on food

so did or didnt you stick a burger up yer arse?

Advertisement