Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling CPU worth it?

Options
  • 07-07-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question with regards to watercooling my CPU. I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU and was wondering if it would be worth my while getting a Corsair H100 cooler?

I currently have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 2.0 air cooler and the following temps is what I'm getting with it:

Idle: 31C - 34C, across the cores: 20C - 24C
    Net and Videos: 34C - 38C, across the cores: 24C - 28C
    Gaming (MS3 & Skyrim): 42C - 48C, across the cores: 32C - 38C

I've a CM Storm Trooper tower and the temps above I'm getting are with the tower running the fans at medium, I can get temps to come down another 2C - 4C if I run the fans all at full speed but it's too noisy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

If you are going to do water cooling id try pick up a second hand kit on adverts will work a lot better then the H100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

with those temps? not really. watercooling is done for a few reasons:

1) performance. great temperatures.
    2) quiet. you can get passive cooling or close to it.
    3) epeen/looks

with a h100 (on standard fans) its very, very loud. the temps will be better, but at 48°C your CPU is hardly sweating anyway. so you'll end up paying quite a bit of money for a loud epeen.

the h100 only starts to shine at very high overclocks, and even then, its not great. was testing a 2500K at 5Ghz with a h100 and h80, and there were only around 5°C difference iirc. 5°C is loads to a pro OCer/enthusiast, but to you or I, its not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    with those temps? not really. watercooling is done for a few reasons:

1) performance. great temperatures.
    2) quiet. you can get passive cooling or close to it.
    Just after watching a few reviews and temp wise as you say there's no benefit for me, bit shocked at the results to be honest.
    Quietness would be a factor for me, I've a CM Storm Trooper tower and the temps I'm getting above in my OP are with the tower running the fans at medium, I can get temps to come down another 2C - 4C if I run the fans all at full speed but it's too noisy.
    I was looking at the Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan a while ago and all the reviews I've come across so far have them on rads, anyone have these as a push/pull setup without watercooling? Would really like to get some opinions on them before I buy some as there not cheap at €20+ a fan, thanks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Changed my mobo to a Sabertooth 990FX and got a Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler, very happy with the temp results.

Temps on idle:

pctemp31082012a.jpg

pctemp31082012b.jpg

CPU goes up to 33 - 35C using the net (AMD OverDrive & CPUID reading 24 - 26C across the cores), highest temp the CPU reaches while gaming now is 42C and fans are very quiet too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Very nice....I have a i5 2500K running at 4.8Ghz with a Corsair H100 watercooler (very handy and very good no messing) and gaming my rig is 48 degree across all cores. Idle it is 30 on 2 cores and 24 on the others.......

Watercoolers used to cost the earth but not any more and the space you save instead of a huge heatsink......

• Advertisement
Advertisement