Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only 1 socket

Options
  • 07-07-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody help me with this query

In my front room we only have 1 plug socket, pain in the hole i know.

Can i run the following from it? Using an extension cable?

Sony Bravia 42"
    Sony PS3
    Sony DVD
    Sky Box
    Fish tank filter
    Fish tank heater
    Light for fish tank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

No, that would bring you over the 13amps and likely blow the fuse in your extension cord.

Edit: assuming you mean all at the one time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

yes, i'd have 1 5 socket extension lead with tv/dvd/sky/ps3 plugged into it, then in the spare socket another extension lead headin off towards the fish tank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

scudzilla wrote: »
    yes, i'd have 1 5 socket extension lead with tv/dvd/sky/ps3 plugged into it, then in the spare socket another extension lead headin off towards the fish tank

Won't work. You should price having extra sockets installed in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You'll be in right Shiitsville if you use that set-up.:D Overload, overload, overload. As already posted, get an efficient sparky to set you up properly. Seperate socket for the aquarium. Ideally 2 doubles for your techy stuff. And a spare one is always handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can you post the wattage of each device? I don't know how the people above can say its over loaded without knowing that.

Add up the watage for each device, If its less than say 2.5kw your ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

DublinDilbert is correct.
    From the examples shown below it is possible that the entire load would be less than 800W.

A single 13A plug top can easily supply 800W as this is less than 4A.

However it is important to check the rating of each device as they may be different from my examples.

Sony Bravia 46" Power consumption = 61W
    Sony PS3 Power consumption = 180W
    Sony DVD player Power consumption = 6W
    Sky Box Power consumption = 60W
    Fish tank filter Power consumption = 9W
    Fish tank heater Power consumption = 300W
    Light for fish tank Power consumption = 150W

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Your not over loading it, but it sounds like for convience you need more sockets. It shouldnt be a major job, but it does all depend on the current set up, what the walls are made of etc.

Is your single socket flush to the wall? If so you can get a double socket that fits on a single backing box, 5 min job to fit. If its a surface socket, putting in a double won't be major either.

Going to a double will give you one socket for your aquarium stuff and one for your tv/entertainment set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thats what i was thinking, trawled Google and found out it's all about the wattage.

Checked wattage of items i have an comes to

TV 150Watts
    PS3 160Watts
    Sky 60Watts
    DVD- 20Watts

Fish Filter - 30Watts
    Fish Lights - 150Watts
    Fish Heater - 150Watts

This is only a 2ft tank so nothing major

All that adds up to 720Watts, not all of the items will be running at the same time either

That should be grand shouldn't it? Just until we get the other plug (s) fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Yes it's fine, no problem at all. Your load is less than 4 amps and your socket is rated at 13 amps. Just use a decent quality lead. Make it one of those surge protected outlet/leads as you are plugging in some expensive kit.
    It amazes me how people can decide, that something is not suitable without having a clue, or even knowing what the load is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thats what i was thinking, trawled Google and found out it's all about the wattage.

TV 150Watts
    PS3 160Watts
    Sky 60Watts
    DVD- 20Watts

Fish Filter - 30Watts
    Fish Lights - 150Watts
    Fish Heater - 150Watts

This is only a 2ft tank so nothing major

All that adds up to 720Watts, not all of the items will be running at the same time either

That should be grand shouldn't it? Just until we get the other plug (s) fitted

To be 100% sure that you are not going to overload the plug top check the actual power ratings of each device. I did a quick Google to get the values above. The appliances you have may be different ratings.

EDIT: As Zimmerframe's post points out you have done this! Good luck with it, 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

2011 wrote: »
    To be 100% sure that you are not going to overload the plug top check the actual power ratings of each device. I did a quick Google to get the values above. The appliances you have may be different ratings.

He has, I thought.

TV 150Watts
    PS3 160Watts
    Sky 60Watts
    DVD- 20Watts

Fish Filter - 30Watts
    Fish Lights - 150Watts
    Fish Heater - 150Watts

Advertisement