Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't Panic! The sofa-dweller's guide to running.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Have you any 5k races picked out yet? I find if you have a race to aim at it makes the training much easier :)
    Hey cm. Not as yet, the OH hasn't yet made it to 5k so was waiting until we could both do that. Hopefully in a couple of months we'll be looking to do some kind of event (I won't say "a race" - that would be too optimistic! :D)

In the meantime I need to work on my pace and stamina which almost seem to be getting worse at the moment (or at least not improving!)

Monday 13 August
    Bike: 16.23km - 45:14

First spin out to Phoenix Park. To and from was stop/start through town and this was more of an exploratory ride around the park, stopping a few times to check the route, but on a couple of sections I was tempted to stretch the legs :)

For some reason I left via the Cabra gate and found myself bouncing down Blackhorse Ave which certainly made me appreciate the long smooth sections in the park that much more :)

Saturday 18 Aug
    Run: 2.56km - 20:06 - pace 7:51/km

Slow run with the OH, felt guilty for not wanting to get up and go out, so made myself do at least this. Felt fine afterwards, thanks to reduced time and pace... which if nothing else made a nice change :)

Monday 20 Aug
    Run: 3.2km - 24:59 - pace 7:42/km

Still struggling with the motivation but managed to get out for a 25 min run with the OH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

davenewt wrote: »
    Monday 20 Aug
    Run: 3.2km - 24:59 - pace 7:42/km

Still struggling with the motivation but managed to get out for a 25 min run with the OH.

Getting out while not motivated will make the motivated ones all the more enjoyable. Do you feel like you are making progress at this stage?

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Getting out while not motivated will make the motivated ones all the more enjoyable. Do you feel like you are making progress at this stage?
    Yes and no :) Getting out on the shorter runs makes me think back to when I first ran for that amount of time and how knackered I was... it's certainly easier now. But when I try to push myself to do 5k again aiming for sub-34min pace (which I know isn't that fast!) I find it quite hard still.

I might try some shorter runs at a faster pace, perhaps... then go back to doing 5k again. Would that help do you think?

Maybe I just need to mix things up a bit... stop myself from losing interest. The bike is helping here too.

And of course I need to drop more weight to make the running easier! :pac:

Tue 21 Aug
    Bike: 25km - 1:03:15 - avg 23.8km/hr

Upping the distance a little bit from the last few outings on the bike, helped by a pair of padded cycling gloves, and similarly padded cycling shorts which certainly 'increased the comfort factor' :o *ahem* Another lovely evening for it anyway :)

Yes and no :) Getting out on the shorter runs makes me think back to when I first ran for that amount of time and how knackered I was... it's certainly easier now. But when I try to push myself to do 5k again aiming for sub-34min pace (which I know isn't that fast!) I find it quite hard still.

I might try some shorter runs at a faster pace, perhaps... then go back to doing 5k again. Would that help do you think?

Maybe I just need to mix things up a bit... stop myself from losing interest. The bike is helping here too.

And of course I need to drop more weight to make the running easier! :pac:

No, I wouldn't do that if I were you. Stick to easy pace and get the miles/kms in the legs. Why not forget about the 5k for now. Stick to say 3k and keep doing it until you are totally comfortable with that at an easy pace.Then go to 4k and repeat until it becomes less of a challenge..etc etc
    I wouldn't even be paying attention to how long it takes you at this point. That is not important right now.What is more important is getting out regularly and everything else will follow naturally.

Thanks RR! I can't help tracking my progress but I know what you mean about not focusing on times right now. I'll try to put less emphasis on pace and will just keep getting out there :) Thanks again for the advice, really appreciate it.

Thursday 23 Aug
    Run: 3.2km - 21:06 - pace 6:36/km

Took RoadRunner's advice and just went for a run, not really aiming for a time or distance. Had a stitch near the end but apart from walking it off for maybe 20 seconds, I managed to keep a good pace although breathing is still hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I think it was Eamonn Coughlan who said that the best way was to run as slow as you can for as long as you can :)

Sunday 26 Aug
    Run: 4km - 30:21 - pace 7:38/km

Picked a route that was mostly downhill, felt pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Follow the Plan

Good work. Keep it up!

Tuesday 28 August
    Run: 5km - 39:36 - pace 7:55/km

Pace not so important today, as it was the OH's first 5k. She was only supposed to do 35mins to get her "5k runner" badge, but as I pointed out that it may not actually equate to 5k (hey, I blame Endomondo!) she very sportingly agreed to keep running until we'd done the required distance :)

Either that or she was too out of breath to argue with me after 35 minutes. :D

Tuesday 28 August
    Run: 5km - 39:36 - pace 7:55/km

Pace not so important today, as it was the OH's first 5k. She was only supposed to do 35mins to get her "5k runner" badge, but as I pointed out that it may not actually equate to 5k (hey, I blame Endomondo!) she very sportingly agreed to keep running until we'd done the required distance :)

Either that or she was too out of breath to argue with me after 35 minutes. :D

Great to see you are both making progress!

Time for some August Stats!

Monthly km (workouts)|May|June|July|August
    Run|50.86 (15)|31.06 (8)|37.74 (9)|38.25 (9)
    Bike|0|0|6.65 (1)|82.82 (4)
    Total|50.86|31.06|44.39|121.07

Year to Date|Distance|Workouts
    Run|163km|42
    Bike|89.47km|5

Weight|July|August
    kgs|114.4|113.3 (-1.1)

Fastest 5km run|July|August
    Time|33:51|33:51*

*My 5km runs in August were with the OH who just finished the "couch to 5k," so I've been running 5ks with her at a slower pace. I feel a little guilty for not going out for some faster 5ks on my own (I've done some shorter runs)... so I should address that in September and push myself a bit harder.

It's been great mixing in some rides on the bike but I've found that I don't really want to go out after work for a 1hr+ session on the bike during the week. Odd as it sounds, it's actually easier to think about doing a 30-min run even though it's physically tougher.

Also found that it seems to be easier to do a run one day, ride the next, then have a day (or two ;)) off before running again on 'fresh legs' - as when I tried to run after a cycling the day before, my legs just weren't up to it.

Goals for September
    • Get out more on the bike, especially for some longer spins at weekends.
    • Stick to running on weekday evenings and try to get out as soon as I get home, rather than sitting down first (which can be deadly :)).
    • Drop more weight... aiming for 112.0 kg, so might need to skip a few more morning coffees :(
    • Hopefully I'll start finding the runs a bit easier, mentally at least... but I doubt it...! :D

Sunday 2 Sep
    Run: 5km - 38:54 - pace 7:47/km

Another run with the OH, slightly better avg pace (vs 7:55 last time).

I've been trying out both Endomondo and Strava apps to track runs, and settled on Endo as it gives audible 1km splits (and tells you your predicted finishing time every km after 2km), and keeps the screen on so I don't have to keep unlocking my phone while running to see progress.

The Endo app also displays a running total time per km, so you can see your time for 5km dead even if you end up running a little over before stopping the app.

While I record my runs with Endo, I export each one and import into Strava just so I have a record in both places. Oddly both give me slightly different km splits, but the difference is negligible (+/- 3 seconds).

Tuesday 4 Sep
    5km - 34:27 - pace 6:54/km

km|1|2|3|4|5
    split|6:22|7:15|6:32|7:02|7:14

Always seem to start off too quick, what is it with that?!

Reined it in a bit on the 2nd km, but then the 3rd km was a little downhill with a cooling headwind :)

The last half km was tough, I wanted to pick up the pace a little but just didn't have the energy. Remembering what others have said - not to focus on pace/time - I just concerned myself with finishing the distance.

Then the first thing I did when I got home was look at my splits :rolleyes: :D

Thursday 6 Sep
    5km - 33:58 - pace 6:48/km

km|1|2|3|4|5
    split|6:39|6:53|7:05|7:17|6:04

Started off a bit slower than last time, and felt more consistent.

Went up and down hill a bit, didn't find the ups as bad as I thought I might.

I maybe shouldn't have done that at the end. Kept telling myself at 2k, 3k, 4k that I wouldn't, and I didn't care about time. But then I found myself going downhill for the last half km, lengthened my pace... pushed my shoulders back...

...and I think I finally ran! :pac:

Then as soon as I hit 5k I collapsed onto a nearby wall to catch my breath and walked slowly home.

I should go stretch and get something to eat :rolleyes:

Sunday 9 Sep
    5km - 38:09 - pace 7:39/km

Ran with the OH again yesterday evening... motivation was low but glad now that I don't have to go out in this weather today!

• Advertisement

Sunday 16 Sep
    5km - 35:37 - pace 7:07/km

km|1|2|3|4|5
    split|7:07|6:37|7:28*|7:16*|7:03*

A whole week of inactivity on the running (and cycling) front... makes for a tough run a week later! Legs very heavy. Breathing seemed OK mostly but just felt knackered and completely lacking in energy.

Had to walk 3 times, 20-30 seconds per time (marked * in table above). First km was with OH.

Probably hadn't warmed up enough when going out, and it was also quite hot.

Listen to me making excuses. The real problem was a week of laziness! :mad:

Friday 21 Sep
    5km - 34:07 - pace 6:50/km

km|1|2|3|4|5
    split|6:51|6:55|6:52|6:49|6:41

Another mostly lazy week so I forced myself to get out this afternoon as soon as I got back from work. I tried not to think about it and just got changed and walked out of the house :)

Legs still very heavy so this made me start off slower than usual. I was pleasantly surprised that I managed the first km in under 7 mins.

This was also my first consistently paced run.

Happy with the result given I've been so inactive the last couple of weeks.

Tuesday 25 Sep
    5km - 34:17 - pace 6:52/km

km|1|2|3|4|5
    split|6:32|6:59|7:05|6:54|6:46

This never gets easier, does it?! :( Looking at the rain and listening to the wind, I sat indoors after getting in from work and tried to think of ANY excuse not to go out.

My Homer-like mind drew a blank.

Had the long-sleeve underarmour on today... yep, I'm a wuss!

Heavy thighs... oh so heavy... slogged it out and felt so far from being able to run, so like a cheap iPod, I just shuffled :P

Believe it or not, the running's even worse than the puns around here!

"Boo-urns!"

Tuesday 25 Sep
    5km - 34:17 - pace 6:52/km

km|1|2|3|4|5
    split|6:32|6:59|7:05|6:54|6:46

This never gets easier, does it?! :( Looking at the rain and listening to the wind, I sat indoors after getting in from work and tried to think of ANY excuse not to go out.

My Homer-like mind drew a blank.

Had the long-sleeve underarmour on today... yep, I'm a wuss!

Heavy thighs... oh so heavy... slogged it out and felt so far from being able to run, so like a cheap iPod, I just shuffled :P

Believe it or not, the running's even worse than the puns around here!

"Boo-urns!"

Had the same feeling myself tonight. Had to do a five mile run but it was the last thing I wanted to do tonight after two tiring days at work and suffering a touch of the man flu! Glad I got out in the end though:)

Was wearing three layers though, gloves and a wooly hat. Probably slight overkill there.

Uh-oh. September Stats time :o

Monthly km (workouts)|May|June|July|August|September
    Run|50.86 (15)|31.06 (8)|37.74 (9)|38.25 (9)|35.09 (7)
    Bike|0|0|6.65 (1)|82.82 (4)|nil! :(
    Total|50.86|31.06|44.39|121.07|35.09

Year to Date|Distance|Workouts
    Run|193km|48
    Bike|89.47km|5

Weight|July|August|Sept
    kgs|114.4|113.3|111.6 (-1.7)

How I did vs. my goals for September
    • Get out more on the bike, especially for some longer spins at weekends - failed miserably!
    • Stick to running on weekday evenings and try to get out as soon as I get home, rather than sitting down first (which can be deadly). - limited success, still preferred to wait til the weekend
    • Drop more weight... aiming for 112.0 kg, so might need to skip a few more morning coffees - achieved, now 111.6 ...and with barely a dent in the morning coffees, result! :)
    • Hopefully I'll start finding the runs a bit easier, mentally at least... but I doubt it...! - nope!

Goals for October?
    • Run at least 40km*
    • Get out again on the bike at SOME point, daylight and fair weather permitting!
    • Keep the weight loss going, new target sub-110.

*He types, cautiously, knowing others on this forum would do that in a couple of days and therefore think it a bit silly to have as a monthly goal! :rolleyes:

Update time, October was a write-off but I should take the rough with the smooth so here goes!
    Goals for October?
    • Run at least 40km* - nope, not a single km! :(
    • Get out again on the bike at SOME point, daylight and fair weather permitting! - only two bike trips, both 'leisurely' cycles including refreshments! :o
    • Keep the weight loss going, new target sub-110. - some good news, I just snuck in under 110. Not sure how! :)

Hopefully I'll be back in a month with some slightly better news!

Time to get back in the saddle! I'm now working for myself (packed in the day job after 9-plus years in December), am now able to go running during the day... so I've set myself a couple of goals for 2013:

Run at least 600km.
    Initially I'm going for 3x 5km runs a week, hoping to increase time/distance gradually as the year goes on.

Drop from 112.7kg to 98kg.
    Start-of-the-year BMI 28.7 = 'overweight' and 98kg for me represents the top end of 'healthy' (BMI 25). Not sure if this is realistic (1.25kg/month average weight loss?), but if I look after the kms the kgs should look after themselves, right? :)

So, January's stats:

Month | Distance (km) | Weight (kg) | Notes
    Jan | 37.5 | 111.8 (-0.9) | Best 5k = 33:58. Best avg km pace (from a 5k run) = 6:48

Plans for February
    On a suggestion from a friend who's a personal trainer, I'm going to introduce some run/walk intervals to help increase my lung capacity and pace (my 5ks are still a bit of a shuffle for someone with my leg length!) I tried a couple of interval sessions last week and my 5km time on Monday this week was already better (32:41).

I know I shouldn't focus on times, so much... believe me I'm trying not to :rolleyes: :D and if I keep up the regular sessions these goals will be achieved in due course... but it's always nice to keep track (and a spreadsheet), isn't it?! :)

Good to be back here anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good to see you back :D

Just like CM said:)

• Advertisement

Feb 2013

Month | Distance (km) | Weight (kg) | Notes
    Jan | 37.5 | 111.8 (-0.9kg) | Best 5k = 33:58 = 6:48/km
    Feb | 51.3 | 109.1 (-2.7kg) | Best 5k = 32:19 (-01:39) = 6:28/km (-20s)

Mixed feelings for this month. The good:
    • Ran over 50k.
    • Lost more weight than I expected.
    • Took over a minute and a half off my 5k time.
    • My lap times are a lot more consistent, usually 6:20-6:45, whereas in January they were all over the place, from 6:20-8:00!
    • I started doing some intervals once a week (run 1min, walk 1.5). In a 20-min session I average the same km pace as I do for my 5k runs, so I'm starting to run faster, if only for shorter chunks of time. I think it's helped my 5ks, but I'm still not happy that I can't consistently run 5ks without slowing down occasionally.

...which brings us to the bad:
    • Hard to run continuously: A lot of my 5ks involve walking once (or more) for 10-20seconds at some point. I just can't keep running. I sometimes tell myself that because my overall pace is getting quicker, it doesn't matter too much. But it's still annoying.
    • Overheating: Sometimes I just get *too* hot - like today (I was wearing a base layer - blaming that) which "forces" me to slow down and walk. Ugh, I know.
    • Stomach Ache: I normally run at lunchtime (before eating) and at the end of my runs I often have a bit of stomach ache. Should I run at a different time of day? Or should I be eating more for breakfast?!???

All in all a successful month... but I know I could do much better... so any suggestions for overcoming the bad stuff would be appreciated from you more experienced folks :)

In the meantime, hopefully March will see some faster times and some significantly warmer hands... brrrrr...! :D

Advertisement