Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will LTE Make Things Worse?

Options
  • 07-07-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I was just looking at the frequencies used by different carriers for 4G LTE.
    In Ireland we will use 800MHz, 900MHz and 1800Mhz
    In the USA, AT&T and Verizon use (or plan to use) 700MHz and AWS. T-Mobile plan to use AWS as well.
    In the UK they will use 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz.
    That's a lot of different frequencies. What are the chances of a phone supporting all of those.
    What does this hold for the future?
    Here are a list of LTE frequencies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I don't get your point mate. Phones will be able to handle of any LTE network. It's only a matter of radio chip built into the phone. Probably it'll be us and eu versions as the world always has been divided into regions. And eu models will work from Iceland to Russia. You always see 2G, 3G and 4G, it's about infrastructure you don't need to worry about MHz's!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

I mean that a quad-band phone can get you signal almost any where in the world. Does this mean that when you buy an European variant of the phone it most likely won't work in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

pigeon999 wrote: »
    I mean that a quad-band phone can get you signal almost any where in the world. Does this mean that when you buy an European variant of the phone it most likely won't work in the US.

The USA and Europe have totally different spectrum allocations. There's really very little that the mobile providers can do about it as they are different for historical reasons.

European countries all follow ETSI and EBU rules for frequency allocations. Many other countries also tend to follow European frequency plans as it makes life much easier for them too.

So, for Irish consumers, you can be 100% sure we will have any European headset available.

Making devices capable of multiple frequencies is no longer as challenging as it once was due to massive improvements in radio chipsets.

I can't really see this being a major challenge to be quite honest. You'll just get devices that support multiple LTE frequencies covering the US and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lordted

padyjoe wrote: »
    I don't get your point mate. Phones will be able to handle of any LTE network. It's only a matter of radio chip built into the phone. Probably it'll be us and eu versions as the world always has been divided into regions. And eu models will work from Iceland to Russia. You always see 2G, 3G and 4G, it's about infrastructure you don't need to worry about MHz's!

The three LTE variations of the iPhone 5 don't support all of these frequencies. 800Mhz (which Ireland is planning to use along with others) and 2.6 Ghz are not supported which pretty much leaves some of the European networks high and dry as far as iPhone lovers are concerned. In fact Sweden only uses theses two frequencies.That's the point right there.

Advertisement