Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will You Be Cheering On Andy Murray This Sunday??

• 07-07-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

So the Wimbledon final is on sunday. Roger Federer takes on Andy Murray. Who do we Irish want to win?

I personally can't stand the hype with regards to Britain and England at almost any sporting event, and its getting too close to comfort now with Murray in the Wimbledon final. :eek:

Even though I was born and bred in England till I was 14, and still speak with an English accent, I cheer England on at absolutely nothing ever, nada, zilch.

If Murray does win, we will never hear the end of it, golden jubliee, olympics to come. It will be very close to 66' all over again.

So I'm cheering on Roger Federer, the lesser of the two evils.

I have nothing against Murray personally, he seems like a decent lad, and I would not have a problem with him winning the Australian, French or US open, but just not Wimbledon please. Not this year either with the jubilee and olympics. The royals and the Queen will be there too.

So who are you cheering on this sunday?

Who Do Want To Win The Wimbledon Final? 16 votes

Roger Federer
    0% 0 votes
    Andy Murray
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Winning the Olympics is far removed from winning the world cup. It's yearly for starters.
    Anyhow, they swaggled the world cup and that was 50 years ago, who cares.

Let the baby have it's bottle, that's what I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Not after he hit Tsonga in the balls, didn't seem fair game after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Its ok, he'll be Scottish again come Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It's always nice to see the underdog win something. Fair play to him being the first Brit to make it to the Wimbledon final in over 70 years. I'd love to see him win it.

He is ranked 3rd in the world currently. Hardly an underdog!

He beat a guy who is ranked 5th in the world and he will play in the final against a guy who is ranked 4th in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It would be a great victory for Scotland, the Scots need a boost right now and a proud Scotsman like Andy Murray could do it. So come on Andy, Scotland needs you. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Andy Murray will go back to being just "Scottish" when/if he loses on Sunday.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Majority of my English friends don't like Murray, because he is Scottish. Plus he also said he would support anyone playing against England (well words to that effect). My OH is Scottish so come on Murray, lets do it for Scotland, (don't think he will though :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Winning the Olympics is far removed from winning the world cup. It's yearly for starters.
    Anyhow, they swaggled the world cup and that was 50 years ago, who cares.

Let the baby have it's bottle, that's what I say.

Um no its not:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's the passion and emotion he brings to the game and the sheer joy you see when he wins something. Grim uninspiring little ****e.

Federer on the other hand seems eminently likable, and he's not English...I mean British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

He is ranked 3rd in the world currently. Hardly an underdog!

He beat a guy who is ranked 5th in the world and he will play in the final against a guy who is ranked 4th in the world.

Federer's going for his 7th Wimbledon title - it's Murray's first shot at it. I guess it would be fair to call him the underdog in this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He's been to three Grand Slam finals iirc without a win and has been a constant high quality pro over the past few years. Any other era he would have bagged a Slam by now so I will be cheering him on as our closest top flight representative in Tennis. To final get that monkey off his back in the most spectacular fashion by winning Wimbledon would be apt I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I like both of them so i will sit back and enjoy 2 great sporting athletes go head to head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

humbert wrote: »
    It's the passion and emotion he brings to the game and the sheer joy you see when he wins something. Grim uninspiring little ****e.

Federer on the other hand seems eminently likable, and he's not English...I mean British.

The English have nothing else to cheer for,so they jump on their silly band wagon and claim Murray to be their own (as long as hes winning).

When he loses,watch how fast hes dropped to being "Scotish" again.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I get what you're saying OP and completely agree about English fans, but I like Andy Murray (maybe because he's not English). And I was delighted for him today.

He's a hard worker, hasn't let the fact that the top 3 have eclipsed him for so long dishearten him, and gone about improving quietly despite the weight of expectation on his shoulders. His success is in spite of those fans, make no mistake about it. We saw what the pressure did to Henman for years. So I have to respect him for that.

That said, I think that victory will be his final and Federer will win, quite comfortably, in 4 sets at most. Murray will have his day yet. This is now about Federer probably winning his final grand slam in the court where his game was at an especially high level for so many years. He's the greatest ever and deserves one more day in the sun, and the unquestionable legacy to match.

Either way, I'll be happy for whoever wins. I just think its Federer's to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

I had been rooting for Tsonga but now that Murray has won I think it would be nice for him to win. Still wouldn't be a fan of his though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

Murray.

Cheering on Federer simply because you were unhappy with the Jubilee is utterly retarded.

garv123 wrote: »
    Um no its not:confused:

Wimbledon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Murray - arrogant irritating tosser
    Federer - ever-modest consummate professional

So no, I would not cheer for Andy Murray but it has nothing whatsoever to do with him being British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Fair play to him being the first Brit to make it to the Wimbledon final in over 70 years. I...
    Virginia Wade won in 1977, the same year she got BBC sports personality of the year. Why does she not count? Is it because she's a female lady-person? Is it because she's not Scotch but English (lived in SA for a while admittedly)? Is ir because she's smart? (degrees in math & physics)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

May the best man win.

I wouldn't say I don't want Murray to win because my problem isn't with him, it's with the British media who are nauseating.

Murray has been close to winning a slam on a few occasions but hasn't managed it yet, I think at this stage it would be nice to see him win one. And especially Wimbledon given that he always has a mountain of pressure going in to it (due to the forementioned nauseating media).

Having said that Federer is in the latter stages of an awesome career and to see him win again would make my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

paddy147 wrote: »
    The English have nothing else to cheer for,so they jump on their silly band wagon and claim Murray to be their own (as long as hes winning).

When he loses,watch how fast hes dropped to being "Scotish" again.;)

You couldn't be more wrong I'm afraid. You are buying into old stereotypes of a part of British culture/society you probably don't understand.

When it comes to tennis, players represent Britain, not England or Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Tim Henman, whether he was reaching a Wimbledon semi final or being knocked out in the first round in Rome was ALWAYS referred to as the British, not English, Number 1/2. The same with Andy Murray nowadays is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've never liked Murray, I just find him so dull and lacking any personality whatsoever...

For that reason alone I'll be cheering for Federer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'll be watching Galway take an honourable beating on Sunday so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

mathepac wrote: »
    Virginia Wade won in 1977, the same year she got BBC sports personality of the year. Why does she not count? Is it because she's a female lady-person? Is it because she's not Scotch but English (lived in SA for a while admittedly)? Is ir because she's smart? (degrees in math & physics)

Ah now, they have competitions for the ladyfolk because it's easier than listening to them whinge, but nobody really cares unless there's a hot one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tennis forum please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement