Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lubuntu wireless 12.04

Options
  • 07-07-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I've just upgraded to lubuntu 12.04 and having problems getting the wireless working
    can anybody help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

what is the brand/model of your computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I had to install the Broadcom B43 driver on a Dell laptop in Ubuntu 11 and it's still working fine. A bit fiddly to do but no real problem, as far as I can remember.
    Could never get my head around ver 12.04 and the new layout so abandoned it. Great pity because it a brilliant OS.

Ephraim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, yes we can help.

;)
    Spoiler (highlight it please!!):
    What are the results of lspci? lsusb? iwconfig? ifconfig? Did the wifi work fine before the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

copz wrote: »
    I've just upgraded to lubuntu 12.04 and having problems getting the wireless working
    can anybody help.
    From the terminal run the following:

lspci | grep -i net

This should list your network controller. From here we should have a better idea of the situation. Some of the broadcom cards (I think the 43* series?) are not supported on many linux distros by default, but it shouldn't be too tricky to get it working as it is a common enough problem. I presume ethernet is working fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Any update? OP did it work out alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I could be having the same issue, a laptop I have has the Broadcom 43 driver issues which are well known. Previous versions of Ubuntu were fixed with this method. However when the machine was upgraded to 12.04 not only did this not work but the network settings in the top right (where the wireless/wired connections appear) completely disappeared.

Now the only way to get it working now is to plug in an ethernet cable before turning on, switch on the laptop and now the network connections appear in the top right and once you unplug the ethernet connection the wireless kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

Plug it in via a LAN cable.
    sudo apt-get install jockey
    or sudo apt-get install jockey-gtk

Next run that program and it will download and install any needed drivers.

(Been a while since I had to do this...)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

infodox wrote: »
    Plug it in via a LAN cable.

+1

no matter the OS it's so much easier when doing an install to use wired internet and get all the updates , patches and firmwares.

And you can ususally cut/paste the wifi password from the router so it need not be one that a human can remember.

Plan B to use a well supported USB wifi to get the updates through (but that's just being lazy)

IF that doesn't sort things out
    then make/model for clues or lspci

Advertisement