Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do they put bottled booze in brown paper bags?

• 07-07-2012 4:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I've always wondered. Is it practical? Some bye-law? Something else? I never bother taking the brown bag, it's just more waste.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love bursting brown paper bags and putting the heart across some poor bastard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Google will answer your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Kurz wrote: »
    Google will answer your question.

But I want YOU to answer it for me. :(

But I want YOU to answer it for me. :(

So scummy scobey doley dirtbags can drink booze and not be arrested.

Google > After Hours forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Kurz wrote: »
    So scummy scobey doley dirtbags can drink booze and not be arrested.

Google > After Hours forum

But that's only in America. Doesn't work here does it? If you sat in public here with an obvious bottle of booze in a brown paper bag the guards would confiscate it. Plus the scobiest people you see just drink cans anyway.

• Advertisement

The founder of the after hours forum. All hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

So as it falls out the bottom so the bum has to go get more.. it is bottle science. Complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Paper bags aren't as bad for the enviroment as plastic?

I think that's true.

Otherwise: let's face it, only a dipso would drink cans at 10 in the morning. For all you know, there's a bottle of springwater in that paper bag of mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Any excuse to post up The Wire! Their own take on the origin of the paper bag...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So you can feel like a gangster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

To hide your shame as you drink at 10am on a saturday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It makes the booze taste better.

So when you drink it in the street and stumble around, you add that air of mystery to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

If anything it keeps the shards of broken glass in a tidy bag when the carousing drunkard falls over breaking the vessel in which their Buckfast previously resided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

So you can *pretend* to be drunk while drinking mountain dew! :P

I think it's probo either to keep your dignity if you're just buying one bottle in an offy i.e. so people mght think it's an expensive pinot not huzzar vodka. If it's when you're doing a big shop maybe it's to stop/dampen the clinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Booze users should hide their shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

One reason is to protect the bottles(non-brown) from the sun(when it shines:P). Also, have you noticed that paper bags for booze tend to be only packaged in off-licences that are not part of a big supermarket?

Tesco\Dunnes don't give them but Molloys always put your booze in a brown paper bag!

Advertisement