Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Irish bank card at an ATM in another euro country

Options
  • 07-07-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I was wondering, what happens when you withdraw money from say, a Dutch bank in Amsterdam; ING Bank for example.

1. Does the Irish bank charge you a fee to withdraw euros from a non-Irish ATM?

2. Does the Dutch bank charge you a fee for using their machine without being their client?

3. Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

4. In Ireland, does if you have a debit card from Irish bank A and use it in an ATM owned by Irish bank B, do you incur any fees for the transaction? In the UK you don't, but not sure if this is the case elsewhere in Europe.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

In my experience the charges are low enough and generally offset by a better exchange rate from ATMs in non-euro areas. In Stockholm last week I was charged E3 and E1.70 total 4.7 on 1000 crowns (100 euro equivalent). Norway was 3 + 1.20 for similar transaction. RBS in uk was free with ulsterbank card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nauru

Please are you able to comment specifically on the fees for the case of withdrawing money from ATMs in euro-currency countries. ie not Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, UK or other non-euro-currency countries.

This is why I used the example of the Netherlands since this is a euro-currency country. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I had another look at transactions and 100 euro from Fortis and Dexia Bank in Belgium cost nothing in card fees or otherwise. 100 euro was 100 euro using an ulsterbank card.

See their PDF on international fees here: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/useful-information/guide-to-personal-acc.ashx

Presume its the same for your bank. Check their website on international fees.

AIB is here: http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/A-way-to-bank-for-free

http://www.rte.ie/news/money/consumer/holiday-finance-beware-of-atm-charges.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi nauru,

I wouldn't be able to comment on charges from other banks but Bank of Ireland do not charge customers for using their debit card in atms in other euro countries. Regarding the Dutch bank charging in your above example, you would need to check if they have any charges. There is also no charge for using the card in atms in Ireland with other banks.

Please click here for a full list of Bank of Ireland's fees and charges.

I hope this answers your questions.
    Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement