Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public or private maternity care in clonmel

Options
  • 07-07-2012 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

My wife is due in march 2013. We're trying to figure out is there any advantage to 'going private' -she has aviva health insurance-
    Any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I went public in Clonmel on both children and had no problems. Don't know much about private there but if you do a search you'll find loads of threads on this topic on the Pregnancy forum. They mainly relate to Dublin hospitals but would still be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

my partner is due in a few weeks we are public in clonmel did the anti natal classes on the tour of the ward i dont see the advantage of private really the rooms look tiny haha i know its your own room but not worth it i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

digzy wrote: »
    My wife is due in march 2013. We're trying to figure out is there any advantage to 'going private' -she has aviva health insurance-
    Any experiences?

No offence but wait till you get past the 3 month period before making any plans. I wouldn't tell anyone you're pregnant until then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

No offence but wait till you get past the 3 month period before making any plans. I wouldn't tell anyone you're pregnant until then either.[/QUOTE]

thats why i'm on an anonymous internet forum-i wasn't christened digzy! there's loads of people i could ask face to face if i wanted.
    there's a scan scheduled for 2 weeks time so we need to have a fair idea before then. My wife had to go to hospital earlier in the week and it was one of the first things she was asked.

as an aside i love the whole 'but' people use in general life. 'not telling you how to do your job but..........' just before they tell you etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Congratulations, I have had two boys both born in Clonmel. I went public on both. I also have health insurance, but asked my gp's opinion and he really could not see the benefit of going private. I priced it again last year and it was €2,800. Depending on your location it may be possible for some of your wife's visits to be held in Thurles or Tipperary Town, but I think that has to be requested early on.

I ended up hospitalised on both boys, the first due to pre-eclampsia, they admitted me to keep a close on eye on me while decided what they would do - baby decided for them and I started myself, but it ended in emergency section. Nothing to do with hospital care, failure to progress, fetal distress, meconium etc. On my second pregnancy it was spotted early on that my placenta was low lying (common enough, it usually migrates up itself. I had a few spotting instances and was seen/scanned more frequently to see would it migrate up. It didn't so it was a planned section. Care on both was very good. On hospital visits with one exception I was in and out in just over an hour. There are 4 beds in the public wards, so not too big. The only disadvantage was not having toilet/shower in the room. I found that slightly annoying. There was some times a queue for shower, If I was in a hurry I went down the stairs/lift across from the nurses station to the ward below, two showers there and no one ever in them, think it just a day ward there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

my friend has 4 kids, went private on the first and public and the next three, said she got the same treatment for all 4 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Proud2bPremier

Hi.
    Congratulations on the pregnancy..
    I have 2 children and went private on the first and public on the second. I had them both in Limerick. I know you are asking about Clonmel so cant comment on that but as for the care i received... The only difference i feel there is between private and public is about €3,000..

Keep your money and buy nice things :D

No offence but wait till you get past the 3 month period before making any plans. I wouldn't tell anyone you're pregnant until then either.[/QUOTE]

thats why i'm on an anonymous internet forum-i wasn't christened digzy! there's loads of people i could ask face to face if i wanted.
    there's a scan scheduled for 2 weeks time so we need to have a fair idea before then. My wife had to go to hospital earlier in the week and it was one of the first things she was asked.

as an aside i love the whole 'but' people use in general life. 'not telling you how to do your job but..........' just before they tell you etc...

Good for you, with a bit of luck the child gets your winning personality and charm.

Good for you, with a bit of luck the child gets your winning personality and charm.

is there any end to your constructive posts:D

just got the gynie apt today. it tots up to 2800 going private:mad:

is 'going public' totally free? we're seriously considering it as bar a few ques the service appears the same?

• Advertisement

just got the gynie apt today. it tots up to 2800 going private:mad:

is 'going public' totally free? we're seriously considering it as bar a few ques the service appears the same?

You'll see your guiny and have a private room other then that there's no difference between private and public.

If there's any difficulties with the labour/birth then everyone gets the same (in my personal experience) excellent care. If its your first you might find it more reassuring to go private but that's a personal choice.

Advertisement