Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending dollars home

Options
  • 07-07-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,

So I've been here a while now and have a few quid saved up.

Just wondering are people keeping savings here in Aussie accounts, or transferring it to euro and sending it home. If so, whats the best way to transfer, getting the best exchange rate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sh2

Hey, I've been using currencyfair.com. You transfer money in an Australian bank a/c held by them, exchange to Euro when you feel like it and then they only charge you 4 euro to send it home. Have a look on the website, seems the savings are good. I've used it a few times now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

i wouldnt change right now or in fact at all given yesterdays euro fall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

sh2 wrote: »
    Hey, I've been using currencyfair.com. You transfer money in an Australian bank a/c held by them, exchange to Euro when you feel like it and then they only charge you 4 euro to send it home. Have a look on the website, seems the savings are good. I've used it a few times now.

+1 for CF, much cheaper than banks and better rates too

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

dont change it to euro, pound sterling is a far better investment..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

i wouldnt change right now or in fact at all given yesterdays euro fall

I'm confused, If the value of euro has fallen will you not get more euro for your dollar, so would it not be a good time to change?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I've started to use currency fair as well.

A bit of a long winded effort to get it set up but it works and is cheap.

If you are paying off a loan or a mortgage the drop in value of the euro is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Currencyfair all the way - you could get close on 83c to the $ last week, not sure what it is now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Get on xe.com and get the graph for ten years Euro versus the Oz Dollar. I think you'll find that a small fluctuation of a few cents is minor compared to how much the Dollar has strengthened in that time. If you heading back to Ireland anyway I wouldn't let a fluctuation of a few cents put me off buying Euro right now.
    It's only a few years ago that the Dollar weakened to 50c Euro.

Advertisement