Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving Cert...Again?

• 07-07-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

In need of some advice.
    So, I'm 21. I repeated my Leaving Cert last year and again, didn't get my first choice which is Nursing. I took Arts instead. However, at first I was so excited, being in college etc etc but as November came around, I struggled. And boy, did I struggle. I got overwhelmed with the subjects I choose. It's just not for me.
    So now, I'm at the end of 1st year Arts, looking to leave. Feel trapped really.
    I'm wondering should I go back to repeat my leaving cert again...
    First of all, my life should be in swing. I'm 21. Feels like a timewarp, even got a slaggin off younger friends this year.
    Second of all, I'm up against younger brighter people.
    Third of all, my parents will hit the roof!

I have considered the PLC Nursing but I know so many who haven't got to third level nursing with it.
    Also, do I wait for mature nursing?
    But you have to be 23 by january of the year you plan to enter. So I have to wait until I'm 24....
    Plus, everyone I sat my first leaving cert, is in their 3rd year.. never mind the people I sat the second one with...

Bit of advice would be great guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

That's a bit of a pickle alright. But loads of people in their twenties go back to repeat the leaving cert. I'd go back and just get it over with, if you're only at the end of first year now and feeling 'trapped' by arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

If you feel you realistically will get the points this time, then repeat as at least you know you are guaranteed a place in nursing. And if you apply as a mature student (if you don't succeed in getting a place for a high demand course) it would look well in your interview, it shows how persistent you are to get the course you want. Which means you won't drop out at a later stage.

Although the nursing plc would have the same effect in the interview also.

I repeated after a plc gap so know how daunting the idea can be, not for yourself, but for the people around you to grasp. They seem to have a bigger issue on it, even though they don't actually sit the exam..!

Follow your gut instinct, you know yourself what choice will make you happy.

I found it helpful to repeat in a college designed for adults rather than a secondary school with lots of young teenagers. In Cork, there is a specific Repeat Leaving Cert course in the College of Commerce. I don't know if I would have lasted repeating in any other place!

Another issue to address also, can you afford, or seek the finance, for your first year nursing fees? As the state only pays once (despite the contribution you made in costly registration fees..!) At least you need only to source fees for one uni year :)

Best of luck in your choice!

ALSO ..just to say..

the age of mature students in the Uk is 21..

you could consider applying over in scotland ( no student fees like Ireland) or Wales (Half the student fees) or England (full student fees, but you start to pay back to UK when you are earning 20,000 a year, and pay back at 5% per year, so its not crippling like the usa).

Just some food for thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hey Guys. Thanks for the replies :)

I agree. I have mentioned repeating the leaving cert and my mother has literally cut me off from discussing it - she'd swear I was asking her to sit it a third time:rolleyes:.

I got 395 the second time so it's not a question of doing two bad leaving certs etc etc the fact is, I was short about 55 points for a particular location.
    I am gutted that I am still in square 1. Repeating was daunting, I said even if I got arts, I'd be happy too but now knowing what an absolute disaster it was for myself, I want to sprint away!

I would not be opposed to repeating again for 9months, but my parents are against it. Should be finished really....so I see where they're coming from but at least I am trying and not giving up. Leaving cert is quite a torture to go through once never mind twice/three times.

Also, yes I am subject to double fees (6,000).. Shouldn't of pretended up to now, should of come clean that I hated it..

Dunno what I'm gonna do. Stress is killing me for the last few months also...

Uk, financially not set to move abroad!

Well I wouldn't be too concerned with the choice to stick it out with Arts, at least you tried. And you would have needed to drop out by November in order to be eligible for the state paying your first year fees in another course, and November really would not be enough time to have decided if the course was right for you.

Remind your parents that there is a economic recession, and if you had graduated by now, you probably would not be working, or would have immigrated. So what's another few years of study, while there is no employment within the country.

Best of luck with your decision, hope this stressful decision will conclude favorably :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭leheaven

Hi

If you think repeating leaving cert is the best option for you ,you should go for it! I just turned 23 and I am going back to repeat it even though people laughed and made jokes about it. It's the best option for me to go on further and have a good career. Its so hard to get work and after almost a year working with a pharmaceutical company I was left go, it really opened my eyes though, that for most jobs ( at least good paying ones) I needed to go back to school.the way I see it ,it's only a couple of months and it beats trying to find work or being on the dole! Hopefully il get higher points this time around! Arts would be one of my choices for next year lol. I know it can be embarrassing to tell people that your repeating especially friends that are fin uni etc but if it's the best option for ya go for it and ignore the people that aren't supportive,they will only hold you back!

Ps good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 locarush101

I'm considering repeating my leaving cert... I got 520 points.... I'm studying science at the moment but it's not exactly what I want to do... I have a choice.. to do science for the whole year and reapply through the CAO, to transfer to a different course in the second semester or to repeat... I initially wanted to do medicine. I'm not sure anymore what I want to do.. so either way I'm taking a risk. I'm either going to repeat and not get enough points in the HPAT or I will transfer to a different course I won't like. I'm afraid that if I stay in science.. I won't have enough points for nursing(children's and integrated) by next year. What I could do is actually just repeat the HPAT and apply for the HEAR scheme.. So, should I take a risk even not knowing what I want to do?Would it be worth doing the L.C for the sake of those 30 points.. and if I was repeating I would take- Spanish, Irish, Russian, Biology, Home Economics( from scratch) and Art as I would do really well on these subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Just to say, if you're going for Medicine you're gonna have to do Chemistry, English and Maths again too, but you could do them at OL.

Advertisement