Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Mixed Marriages In Northern Ireland Increasing??

• 07-07-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

It appears from my perspective that mixed marriages in Northern Ireland are on the increase, its still 1 in 10, if that which is way too low still. But I've noticed more cross community dating here particularly amongst younger people below the age of 30-35 etc. It seems to be a problem still however with the older generation, particularly amongst parents, a bit like interracial marriages.

You see I'm not from Northern Ireland originally so I'm not an expert, I was born in England and moved here at 14, my parents are Irish catholics (mum from Belfast, father from Dundalk) and I can sympathise with both sides, because with an English accent I was a brit/orange bastard to catholics and to family members that could be suspicious for a daughter to date, but similarly as soon as protestants know my background, regardless of my accent, I become a fenian bastard, and maybe a religious protestant parent, might have a problem with that too. A fenian disguised with an English accent if you like. :P

My mother spoke to a protestant women in Belfast who is a widow (husband was in the RUC, didn't ask how he died) and her son is dating a girl from Drogheda, and he's getting so much stick from the neighbours that he eventually got fed up with it and moved out.

But it does seem at least in Omagh that there is a better cross community feel and more mixed relationships. Will Northern Ireland ever become a country of tolerance where religion doesn't actually matter like it does in the south? Seems like a pipe dream since its being going on 400 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I prefer Dara o'Briain's definition of a proper mixed mariage.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Marriages between catholic's and Protestants up the north have been common practice for the last fourty years at least. I think it is more Protestant men and Catholic women. I know a few Catholics that married Protestants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

It appears from my perspective that mixed marriages in Northern Ireland are on the increase, its still 1 in 10, if that which is way too low still. But I've noticed more cross community dating here particularly amongst younger people below the age of 30-35 etc. It seems to be a problem still however with the older generation, particularly amongst parents, a bit like interracial marriages.

You see I'm not from Northern Ireland originally so I'm not an expert, I was born in England and moved here at 14, my parents are Irish catholics (mum from Belfast, father from Dundalk) and I can sympathise with both sides, because with an English accent I was a brit/orange bastard to catholics and to family members that could be suspicious for a daughter to date, but similarly as soon as protestants know my background, regardless of my accent, I become a fenian bastard, and maybe a religious protestant parent, might have a problem with that too. A fenian disguised with an English accent if you like. :P

My mother spoke to a protestant women in Belfast who is a widow (husband was in the RUC, didn't ask how he died) and her son is dating a girl from Drogheda, and he's getting so much stick from the neighbours that he eventually got fed up with it and moved out.

But it does seem at least in Omagh that there is a better cross community feel and more mixed relationships. Will Northern Ireland ever become a country of tolerance where religion doesn't actually matter like it does in the south? Seems like a pipe dream since its being going on 400 years.

You're posting in After Hours.Hence AH answers are all you will get.
    Also the comment about 400 years of conflict is wrong.. we all know its being going on about 17 million years and my arm is broken in 109 different places , I'll have you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

deisedave wrote: »
    I think it is more Protestant men and Catholic women. I know a few Catholics that married Protestants.

Takin our wimen :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A mixed 'marriage' is a marriage between protestants and catholics? Ah here, will you fast forward to the 21st Century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

deisedave wrote: »
    I think it is more Protestant men and Catholic women. I know a few Catholics that married Protestants.

Takin our wimen :mad:
    they can't resist those beady protestant eyes, de sluts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....well its not so much of a question of how many, but how many have to entirely leave where they live and be wary of visiting the in-laws after.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A mixed 'marriage' is a marriage between protestants and catholics? Ah here, will you fast forward to the 21st Century.

Ah Father, will ya have a cup of tea ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It's a legitimate term north of the border, given the history of sectarianism. Both my siblings are in mixed religion relationships, so clearly some fellas like those beady eyed protestant sluts too!
    It's a trend definitely on the up, as the increase in civil marriages there indicates. All to the good. Now we just need to de-segregate schools and housing and we might begin to approximate a normal society.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Been common enough for years, especially amongst the middle class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Indeed, only in Ireland would such a marriage be considered "mixed".

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Living in Belfast I happily rid them all, Catholic, Protestant, Chinese, Polish. As long as they were pretty, young and wet then religion never came into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I don't discriminate tbh ... although i do find protestant girls are were more fun ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Indeed, only in Ireland would such a marriage be considered "mixed".
    before ireland became a free state is was very common is the south,excepted by both the catholic and protestant communities,families would have both protestant and catholic children,once ireland became independent,the catholic church stepped in and banned the so called mixed marriages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Marriage between Catholics and Protestants. What next a man can marry his dog?

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Living in Belfast I happily rid them all, Catholic, Protestant, Chinese, Polish. As long as they were pretty, young and wet then religion never came into it.

you got rid of them all? bit violent

getz wrote: »
    before ireland became a free state is was very common is the south,excepted by both the catholic and protestant communities,families would have both protestant and catholic children,once ireland became independent,the catholic church stepped in and banned the so called mixed marriages

prothelic
    cathestant
    grange + oreen?

prothelic
    cathestant
    grange + oreen?
    your a colour matcher, well done

your a colour matcher, well done

my bad, you meant schizo children 'I am a member of the Catholic faith and I protest fervently against it as they are condemned to hell for worshipping false idols'

or perhaps you meant that they alternated one catholic, one protestant etc

People generally didn't have Catholic and Protestant children, they had either/or. Usually Catholic as this was a condition of marrying a Protestant but really wgaf?

bluewolf wrote: »
    you got rid of them all? bit violent

More than a bit sometimes but I did what I had to do and I slept easier for it.

• Advertisement

my bad, you meant schizo children 'I am a member of the Catholic faith and I protest fervently against it as they are condemned to hell for worshipping false idols'

or perhaps you meant that they alternated one catholic, one protestant etc

People generally didn't have Catholic and Protestant children, they had either/or. Usually Catholic as this was a condition of marrying a Protestant but really wgaf?
    you are in for a shock.look up THE PALATIN PACT,a irish thing, born from a catholic father and a protestant mother, whereby in mixed marriages,the boy would be raised as catholics while the girls would be raised as protestant,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

If any of my sisters brought home a northern prod, she would be cut off permanently.

I am not a forgiving man.

Try and lose your virginity first, bud. Before you venture forth and comment on other peoples mating habits, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I was gonna post along the same lines as 'only in ireland would this be considered a mixed marriage' but in ireland there has never been any racial segregation(mainly because there was nobody of any other colour in any great numbers) so the connotations aren't the same as they would be in places like the US, France, UK, South Africa, the only reason it would get any looks here is because its so rare to see.

This is probably the worst piece of English ever written on here but hopefully you see what I'm saying, found it hard to explain properly.

Oh and I see the OP actually stated Northern Ireland as well, would it be more 'progressive' if the argument was about mixed race marriages

EdenHazard wrote: »
    there has never been any racial segregation

Oh, but there is. Walk through Blanch, Clondalkin, Lucan or Tallaght. All very racially mixed working class areas. Then walk through a few housing estates in upper class South Dublin. Not a non white to be seen. And the residents there tend to profess their love for all things multicultural.

But lets not talk about that.....

IrishAm wrote: »
    Oh, but there is. Walk through Blanch, Clondalkin, Lucan or Tallaght. All very racially mixed working class areas. Then walk through a few housing estates in upper class South Dublin. Not a non white to be seen. And the residents there tend to profess their love for all things multicultural.

And this all before a 'sup' of alcohol has been taken of a weekend ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If any of my sisters brought home a northern prod, she would be cut off permanently.

You ARE messing, right?.

You ARE messing, right?.

Nah,man.

mattjack wrote: »
    And this all before a 'sup' of alcohol has been taken of a weekend ...

Low blow. No need for that.

• Advertisement

Low blow. No need for that.

Now I've to disperse a mob armed with pitchforks and flaming torch's.. and their not happy I tells ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

2 words: Affordable Housing

Anyway I live in a middle class south Dublin estate, in the vicinity of my road, there are Lithuanians, Senegalese and Libyans.

Nah,man.

Then I hope your sisters don't give a fiddlers f*ck for your bigoted attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'm glad I'm not your sister.
    Potentially cutting off a family member over the religion of who they fell in love with? You need to come round to yourself mister.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    2 words: Affordable Housing

Anyway I live in a middle class south Dublin estate, in the vicinity of my road, there are Lithuanians, Senegalese and Libyans.

Wow. Out of what, 100 houses? On my estate there are three other Irish households. Out of 164 houses. I paid over 250 large for my gaff. Not much affordable about that, bud. I loved paying that off whilst my non EU citizen neighbours got given theirs for nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Try and lose your virginity first, bud. Before you venture forth and comment on other peoples mating habits, eh?

Talking to me eh? Does my thread irk you in anyway?

Clearly it does. :D

• Advertisement

Then I hope your sisters don't give a fiddlers f*ck for your bigoted attitude.

They are free to mix with who they want. They also know that they will be permanently cut off if they go out with a northern protestant or a non european. My family are blessed with excellent genes. We need to keep them that way.

My attitude is bigoted, yes. But due to life experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sauve wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not your sister.
    Potentially cutting off a family member over the religion of who they fell in love with? You need to come round to yourself mister.

Truth be told, he/she does sound the kind of person you'd mind being cut off from... That post sounded more like a promise than a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

They are free to mix with who they want. They also know that they will be permanently cut off if they go out with a northern protestant or a non european. My family are blessed with excellent genes. We need to keep them that way.

Your posts say otherwise.

My family are blessed with excellent genes.

Eh..... clearly not. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Your posts say otherwise.

Well, she did say "genes", not brains.
    The best milk cows aren't necessarily the brightest.

• Advertisement

life experience ? what happened ?

lol, give it over. You're on a wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wow. Out of what, 100 houses? On my estate there are three other Irish households. Out of 164 houses. I paid over 250 large for my gaff. Not much affordable about that, bud. I loved paying that off whilst my non EU citizen neighbours got given theirs for nada.

White flight

Sauve wrote: »
    Eh..... clearly not. :p

Fair enough, your opinion. Anyway, my sisters are good looking girls. No need for me to worry. They won't settle for second best. At present they are all dating or in a relationship with sound european lads. All is well.

Fair enough, your opinion. Anyway, my sisters are good looking girls. No need for me to worry. They won't settle for second best. At present they are all dating or in a relationship with sound european lads. All is well.

Are they dating you ?

Just....wow
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I trust they are solid Catholic southern Europeans with good genes and hint of the tar-brush, not those useless feckless northern protestant Europeans from one of those cowboy countries like the Netherlands, Germany or Sweden.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    White flight

Lets not mention that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

They also know that they will be permanently cut off if they go out with a northern protestant or a non european.

Clarify this please.

What do you mean by a non-European? I've an awful feeling you're alluding to ethnicity but perhaps I'm mistaken.

you are in for a shock.look up THE PALATIN PACT,a irish thing, born from a catholic father and a protestant mother, whereby in mixed marriages,the boy would be raised as catholics while the girls would be raised as protestant,

Wow! Shocked doesn't even begin......:eek:

No I understand how Fergus from The Crying Game must have felt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement