Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Mixed Marriages In Northern Ireland Increasing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

IrishAm wrote: »
    Fair enough, your opinion. Anyway, my sisters are good looking girls. No need for me to worry. They won't settle for second best. At present they are all dating or in a relationship with sound european lads. All is well.

Not being American I'm never quite sure what that means - does it mean swallowing the glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I trust they are solid Catholic southern Europeans with good genes and hint of the tar-brush, not those useless feckless northern protestant Europeans from one of those cowboy countries like the Netherlands, Germany or Sweden.

Ive no quarrel with protestants. My issue is solely with Northern prods. Not one fuck would I give if they brought back a Germanic prod to my gaff. Id welcome him, break bread with him and offer him a brew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Ive no quarrel with protestants. My issue is solely with Northern prods. Not one fuck would I give if they brought back a Germanic prod to my gaff. Id welcome him, break bread with him and offer him a brew.
    What about a Church of Ireland person from - say - Cork? Or a Trinitarian from Dublin? Is it the Methodists you really have a problem with, or all reformed churches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Looking at your location you'd probably go mad if she brought back a man from Meath!

What about a Church of Ireland person from - say - Cork? Or a Trinitarian from Dublin? Is it the Methodists you really have a problem with, or all reformed churches?

What part of Northern protestants do you fail to understand? Its not the religion I have a problem with. Its the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

What exactly is wrong with 'Northern protestants' then? Enlighten us please?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Looking at your location you'd probably go mad if she brought back a man from Meath!

I would probably break out into a rash. We owe them cunts one for 2010. Soon. Leinster final. Time for redemption.

I can see Berno running amok. Hes due a big game. I hope the young lad, Kilkenny, is unleashed on them whores.

What part of Northern protestants do you fail to understand? Its not the religion I have a problem with. Its the people.
    I've met a few. Even lived with one. They seemed nice.

Lived with a Catholic guy from Omagh too. He was one of the biggest idiots I ever met.

> Northern Catholics are idiots, Northern Protestants are sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They are free to mix with who they want. They also know that they will be permanently cut off if they go out with a northern protestant or a non european. My family are blessed with excellent genes. We need to keep them that way.

My attitude is bigoted, yes. But due to life experience.

Are you saying the northern protestant has bad genes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If any of my sisters brought home a northern prod, she would be cut off permanently.

I am not a forgiving man.

I miss when AH trolls were funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

They are free to mix with who they want. They also know that they will be permanently cut off if they go out with a northern protestant or a non european. My family are blessed with excellent genes. We need to keep them that way.

My attitude is bigoted, yes. But due to life experience.

Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My 1st cousins live in Derry, no way would they date someone from the other side.

My 1st cousins live in Derry, no way would they date someone from the other side.
    We need more open minded people like this, they make the world a better place.

We need more open minded people like this, they make the world a better place.

That's your opinion, they are entitled to theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I have 35 cousins and not one of them has a protestant boyfriend/spouse. My mum is the 2nd oldest of 11 and all them are married to catholics (or were and now divorced).

I asked one of my cousins if they would be sending their kid to an integrated school. They replied not a chance in hell, too pc for me, he's Irish and thats it.

I was quite shocked about that. Sadly a lot of attitudes still exist here. It makes me wonder if we really are living in more progressive society, especially when the DUP and Sinn Fein are the ones in power. :(

• Advertisement

That's your opinion, they are entitled to theirs.
    They are indeed, same as the people who think that the world is flat and was made in seven days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

They are indeed, same as the people who think that the world is flat and was made in seven days.

erm six days.... our Lord took Sunday off, day of rest etc..

mattjack wrote: »
    Just goes to show how wrong those '7 day' clowns are.

Say what you mean instead of talking in riddles.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Advertisement

Are your all your cousins as smart as you? Because this is starting to make sense.

Are your all your cousins as smart as you? Because this is starting to make sense.

Thanks for the personal insult. I will obey the charter and not insult you in return.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 PieandMash

Hopefully not. I like the way the Protestants have a traditional way of life and like sticking to their own kind.

Mod: Rereg banned.

Thanks for the personal insult.
    *sigh*

God be with the days when you could make jokes on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I hope so.

My father is a protestant and married a catholic women. At the wedding neither of grandfathers attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

erm it was saturday he took off, a religious leader in rome decided to change it to the religious day of constantines sun god.

jewish sabbath[shabbat] begins at sunset on friday night and ends on saturday evening

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I hope so.

My father is a protestant and married a catholic women. At the wedding neither of grandfathers attended.

Did the catholic grandfather only decide not to attend when he heard that the protestant one wasn't going to go.

woodoo wrote: »
    Did the catholic grandfather only decide not to attend when he heard that the protestant one wasn't going to go.
    CSI: Historic Crimes Division swings into action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Indeed, only in Ireland would such a marriage be considered "mixed".

"Only in Ireland" - has to be the most annoying phrase in the country.

And as usual it's not true. In Scotland the phrase mixed marriage means exactly the same thing.

• Advertisement

In Scotland the phrase mixed marriage means exactly the same thing.
    Yeah, but we're pretty much the same people. An Irishman is basically a Scotsman with shoes.

getz wrote: »
    erm it was saturday he took off, a religious leader in rome decided to change it to the religious day of constantines sun god.

That Constantine was a gas character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

Although theres bigotry on both sides I suspect protestants are more likely to be against interfaith marriages than catholics are in the north? Is this true?

I heard about one guy who apparantly wouldn't allow his children to marry catholics, even though he was an atheist. :confused:

He said he didn't want any of his grandchildren to have any irish/fenian blood in them oooooohhhh.

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Although theres bigotry on both sides I suspect protestants are more likely to be against interfaith marriages than catholics are in the north? Is this true?

I heard about one guy who apparantly wouldn't allow his children to marry catholics, even though he was an atheist. :confused:

He said he didn't want any of his grandchildren to have any irish/fenian blood in them oooooohhhh.
    most main protestant churches do not have a problem with catholics marrying protestants in their church ,but the catholics churches do. is that not religious bigotry,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 erin1977

I know you are talking about mixed marriages as in Religion and region, but what is the general idea of interracial marriage in your country?

erin1977 wrote: »
    I know you are talking about mixed marriages as in Religion and region, but what is the general idea of interracial marriage in your country?
    in britain there is no problems in a interfaith marriage in protestant churches,but in catholic churches there is,as a certain criteria must be met,in ireland, the republic and the north its a different kettle of fish,in the republic since independance the catholic church hardened their stance against it,and many protestants left the country, up to 40% since 1920 and as many of the younger generation would find it harder to to find a partner,in the north with its catholic /protestant division over the years its still a big problem,i live in a area of england that is now home for many northern irish of mixed marriage because as most of them would find it hard to live at home.

Cybercubed wrote: »

What makes you suspect Protestants as being more likely to oppose inter faith marriage ?

and I heard protestants have feathers under their arms instead of hair.

What makes you suspect Protestants as being more likely to oppose inter faith marriage ?

and I heard protestants have feathers under their arms instead of hair.

They tend to be the most bigoted and deepest.

How do you know ? Its a little unfair on the average Joe Protestant to say they tend to be the most bigoted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I am not in NI but am in a "mixed marriage". I had to get a dispensation from the Catholic church to get married in a Church of Ireland ceremony. And sign a form stating I would do "my utmost" to bring any children up as Roman Catholics.

How do you know ? Its a little unfair on the average Joe Protestant to say they tend to be the most bigoted.

When you hear of a sectarian assault on the news it is more often than not a catholic who has been attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I thought most if not all marraiges were mixed, ya know one guy one girl:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I am not in NI but am in a "mixed marriage". I had to get a dispensation from the Catholic church to get married in a Church of Ireland ceremony. And sign a form stating I would do "my utmost" to bring any children up as Roman Catholics.

I hope you don't mind me asking but when did you get married?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Glassheart wrote: »

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Don't believe what you read in Republican News etc. Surely to say most is showing you to be a bigot? as it's untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Pee wee stairmaster

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Glassheart wrote: »

In a similar situation in that I'm in a mixed marriage, but I just went ahead and got married in the C of I church my wife went to. I was happy to have no RC involvement even though the rector offered. My kids are brought up C of I . Doing my best to reverse the effects of Ne temere single-handed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm lucky to be from a part of the country where we are in and out of each others' churches, schools and parish halls on a daily basis, and no one bats an eyelid to what religion you are.

Up here, a mixed marriage is FF marrying FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

My grandfather changed religion to get married approx 65 years ago, what is the big feckin deal in 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

In the North, some maniacs still consider that 'sleeping with the enemy' and can respond with violence. Both my siblings have been threatened for their involvement with Protestant partners at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

In the North, some maniacs still consider that 'sleeping with the enemy' and can respond with violence. Both my siblings have been threatened for their involvement with Protestant partners at different times.

Who from protestants or catholics?

I'm always fascinated to see how I'd be seen, as I'm born in England, speak with an English accent, (moved over here at 14) so most think that makes me a protestant initially, but then I tell them I have irish catholic parents and then instantly I'm a "fenian with an English accent" so I'm often confused in scenarios like this. :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement