Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice to get into software testing

Options
  • 07-07-2012 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I finished my graduation in computers few years ago but after that due to some personal reasons I worked in different sectors.
    Now I am looking for jobs in s/w testing. I have passed ISTQB foundation level certification few months ago. But I am finding very difficulty to find any kind of testing job after certification also.
    Do you any company does offer internships ?
    Is there any place I can look for some open source projects to work?
    I am looking for junior testing roles also.
    I am not sure what I am missing here to get a job.
    Could you please give some advice to get a testing job.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Have you tried SQS. They take on graduates/istqb qualifieds fairly regularly. Based in Belfast and Dublin but the work will be on sites anywhere in the country. Effectively you work for them as a consultant. Couple of years there would get you plenty of experience. If you could also look at training yourself in scripting tests for automation you would find more demand for that level of speciality.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Hey, worked as Tester for Microsoft long time ago and I guess because it was the so called boom in ICT, I had no qualifications (but major enthusiasm!). I used Visual Test a lot (prob gone now?) and I found that my interest in web development technologies at taking computers apart really helped. In terms of web development technologies, Moodle is a massive open source project that takes testers and it uses pretty much all of the most up to date web technologies. Best of luck.
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 3 irishceltic

Have you tried SQS. They take on graduates/istqb qualifieds fairly regularly. Based in Belfast and Dublin but the work will be on sites anywhere in the country. Effectively you work for them as a consultant. Couple of years there would get you plenty of experience. If you could also look at training yourself in scripting tests for automation you would find more demand for that level of speciality.

Thnaks for the info. I have applied for SQS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 irishceltic

stevemcf wrote: »
    Hey, worked as Tester for Microsoft long time ago and I guess because it was the so called boom in ICT, I had no qualifications (but major enthusiasm!). I used Visual Test a lot (prob gone now?) and I found that my interest in web development technologies at taking computers apart really helped. In terms of web development technologies, Moodle is a massive open source project that takes testers and it uses pretty much all of the most up to date web technologies. Best of luck.
    Steve

Thanks steve. I will register for moodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There are several distinct areas in "software testing", with lots of overlap. OP which are you most interested in?

"Tester": Guy that tries to break software, writes detailed bug reports. These guys do the UAT essentially (user acceptance testing).
    "Test Developer": Guy that writes software unit tests. Should actually encompass all software developers.
    "Test Automation Engineer": Guy that administers continuous integration server (cruise control .net, jenkins, hudson, bamboo etc), makes sure unit tests get automatically executed. Produces coverage reports, automates other useful stuff like static code analysis etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I do bit of IT recruitment and there is a huge shortage of testers with experience of automated/scripted test environments on J2EE/C# and other web based environments.
    The likes of Ericsson and a few of the Galway based CRM software companies are crying out for people with that type of experience and are currently importing bodies because the skillset is so in demand.
    Loads of Irish with manual/UAT experience very few I've come across with automated and its a definite need in industry at the moment.
    I think I may head back to college myself to brush up on the newer tech/test environments and changing career! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

http://www.udacity.com have a free software testing course

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How did you get on OP? I'm thinking of maybe making a career change to testing.

Advertisement