Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this melody from?

Options
  • 07-07-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I recognise the Carolan air the instruments play but the vocal melody Shane sings reminds me of a trad song I cannot place..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 petestan

Fanny Power's (an O'Carolan composition) is the intro. Think the vocal tune is original.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

petestan wrote: »
    Think the vocal tune is original.

Cheers but I am fairly sure I've heard that vocal melody used somewhere before. If it is original, then even greater respect to Shane Mac.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

A slowed down version of 7 drunken nights maybe.(Dubliners)

trad wrote: »
    A slowed down version of 7 drunken nights maybe.(Dubliners)

Cheers but its the vocal lilt he uses when singing 'eyes' that has me searching for the (possible) influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You are confusing me, McGowan and singing in the same sentence.....

Maybe his bottle was spilling when he hit "eyes".

• Advertisement

trad wrote: »
    You are confusing me, McGowan and singing in the same sentence.....
    Maybe his bottle was spilling when he hit "eyes".

Someday we'll have a Shane thread that does not mention "the bottle":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

think of a drunken hays between seven drunken nights fairytale of new york and limerick your a lady! (not sure where Im getting that from)

Advertisement