Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia

• 07-07-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

4th ODI today. Just tuned in to see Aus are 18-2 in the 11th over. Run rate of 1.62.

What has happened to Australia? They have gone from one of the greatest ever sides in cricket to also rans. There seems to be no decent young talent coming through, proved by calling up George Bailey at 29. With more retirements looming are we heading in to a protracted lull for Aus cricket?

I hope they can improve before next years Ashes. It'll be a boring series to watch if they don't.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

They are actually ranked number one in the world in ODIs and have a fair few promising youngsters coming through.

The fact of the matter is however that England are simply a very good team who are starting to take the limited overs game far more seriously.

As I say that, what a ball from Bopara to get Bailey. Laser guided!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

bwatson wrote: »
    They are actually ranked number one in the world in ODIs and have a fair few promising youngsters coming through.

Yeah, unfortunately with the Edgbaston ODI rained off England can't take the no.1 spot as it required a 5-0 win. It makes the Eng v SA series more interesting as it should decide the no. 1 for both test and ODI.
    bwatson wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is however that England are simply a very good team who are starting to take the limited overs game far more seriously.

That's the thing though. England have invested in all areas of coaching, management and bringing young players through. They did that to match the best cricket setups like Australia and SA.

Why aren't Australia producing the players they used to? If they had good young players coming through you wouldn't see people like Steve Smith getting a game.

Anybody here keep up the Shield? any good players there coming through?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just on my way back from today's match. It is a relatively weak Aussie team, but they are looking to the future. Today, however, the conditions were massively in favour of the fielding team for the first hour or two, but it brightened up considerably and England had very much the better of the conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Tiernster7

Serious toss to lose from what I could see. Could bode well for us in t20s even if what the West Indies have bodes badly for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

They should promote Wade up the order, even at 3 imo. They could do worse then give Hughes a chance also. He's having a stormer for Worcestershire.

Also has the Hodge(37) ship sailed?. Somebody to give them stability, if Yousuf(37) and possibly Akhtar(36) can return for Pakistan then why not Hodge.

He's got to be the unluckiest cricketer out there.

Or dare I say the name Ponting? ;)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Very weak batting talent pool for Australia in the near future compared to the last 20 years. Players such as Jamie Cox didn't even get near the Australian senior team because they had such strength in depth. I suppose a generation of batsmen didn't hang around when they found themselves at the back of a long list of talented batsmen. Hughes has already failed twice at test level and I wouldn't rate a great season in English County Cricket as healing his batting overnight.

They do seem to have a talented pool of fast bowlers who on the downside have broken down a little too regularly lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Forest and Wade looked hopeless in this tour, Warner has shots but he didn't really get a big innings. Australia play South Africa later this year, that will be a good test for him with the Ashes next year.

Their bowlers are nowhere near as good as England's with the possible exception of Cummings, Johnson really should be discarded by now.

I'm pretty confident England will smash them up in the Ashes, just a much better team really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Rascasse wrote: »
    4th ODI today. Just tuned in to see Aus are 18-2 in the 11th over. Run rate of 1.62.

What has happened to Australia? They have gone from one of the greatest ever sides in cricket to also rans. There seems to be no decent young talent coming through, proved by calling up George Bailey at 29. With more retirements looming are we heading in to a protracted lull for Aus cricket?

I hope they can improve before next years Ashes. It'll be a boring series to watch if they don't.
    Look at the players that have retired in the past five years,Warne,McGrath,Gillichrist,Pointing etc...
    Argubably some of the greatest fast bowlers,spinners,wicketkeeper and batsmen the game has ever seen.
    New talent coming through simply does not compare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 vutshuvo

It is time to beat Australia in every side like bowling , batting and fielding

Advertisement