Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oops, was that 'Slapped Face Disease'?

Options
  • 07-07-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I'm having a big 'DOH!' moment. My 3 & 4 yr olds have been a little under the weather over the last two weeks, nothing serious mostly flu like symptoms and a bit of upset tummy. Cuddles and Calpol sorted them without too much drama. Hubby has a bit of the dose now too and I briefly had a phlemy cough but apart from being tired it seemed no big deal.

Till last night, when the 3yr old got a red face and some areas of rash on her body. I recalled the 4yr old had big rosey cheeks last week too, and we'd put it down to the slight temp and the warm weather. But after seeing the rash on no2 (which has already gone this morning) I did a bit of reasearch and realised all their symptoms add up to slapped face disease. I'm in two minds what to do now as they both seem well again and the rash faded quickly from no2 and we'd a good examination of no1 and she has some slight raised rash (we can feel it more than see it on her skin) on her but overall she's well, they haven't even had a calpol dose in the last 2 days.

So I'm 26wks now and I know slapped cheek is really dangerous before 20wks, but given the kids are well again I can't decide if I should shell out e100 to take them to the GP on the off chance, or make an eejit of myself and just go to the GP/call a midwife myself for nothing but a hunch based on kids that are now well again :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

if the kids seem better I would save my money but I would call the GP and just inquire as to whether you should be seen or not...if you are already 26 weeks then you would have been past 20 weeks when they first started showing signs of illness so hopefully everything would be fine then! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I was 32 weeks when my sister ( who had just spent the weekend in my house with her daughter, who was sick) got a txt from the school saying that slapped cheek was doing the rounds. I rang my dr and she was unsure so she got a 2nd opinion. They decided it was highly unlikely that I had caught anything, or even that my niece had slapped cheek but she still got me in to get blood taken to just check to be sure.
    I didn't pay for this as I just presumed it was free as i was pregnant. They didn't charge me anyway!

Advertisement