Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour wants to build onto my wall - looking for advice.

• 07-07-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 stradh

I have just had a call from the neighbour directly behind me.
    He wants to build a shed onto my wall at the back of my garden.

I am not sure if I should allow it, I am concerned over any legal ramifications. For example:
    • If he is working on his shed and he falls from my wall.
    • if he is injured by my wall if something falls from it or it collapses.
    • Will my wall become his after the build is finished.

Could I be liable in these situations?

also If he damages my wall will I have a right to recompense?

Has anyone else had experience with this kind of situation?

any advice or comments are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

stradh wrote: »

Could I be liable in these situations?

also If he damages my wall will I have a right to recompense?

Has anyone else had experience with this kind of situation?

any advice or comments are welcome.
    • you may
    • you might
    • yes
    • charter, and without knowing full details on the ownership of the party wall nobody here can advise you properly.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

We can't give or seek advice here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

look you want to talk to a solicitor to get a full run down on these issues before accepting because we can't give advice here and the issues that you brought up could result in legal expenses that are expensive.

If you can't talk to a solicitor about it I would refuse him straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stradh

Thanks all for replying.

Apologies if I broke the rules for this board, first time poster so chalk it up to inexperience.

I will seek some legal advice form a solicitor before allowing it to go ahead.

Again, thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

he probably means its an adjoining wall that runs along the boundary line of their property and to save expense the neighbour proposes to use that instead of building a wall right beside it on his own land... we had a similiar situation but we decided rather than run into any potential issues we would build a wall ourselves so now there are two walls... one on our side where the garage is the other wall - the neighbours is on the neighbours side in his garden both the exact same height etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

stradh wrote: »
    I have just had a call from the neighbour directly behind me.
    He wants to build a shed onto my wall at the back of my garden.

Are you sure it's your wall, or just a boundary wall. Your neighbour was probably just giving you a heads up that he will be building soon, in a polite way.

Solicitor is the way to go but just remember that you also have to "live" with your neighbour for a potentially long time.

Advertisement