Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What hobby/skill have you been half-ar5ed trying for years?

• 07-07-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I am a man of leisure this summer so have been reviewing what things I like doing and what I would like to be better at. I began 'learning' to swim maybe 11 years ago. At this stage I still can't swim due to half-ar5edness (not the physical condition, just lack of commitment). At best I could delay drowning for about a minute.
    The guitar has been another on / off thing I have been doing for maybe six years. I can play bits of songs but the only way I could possibly entertain a crowd with it, is by gyrating sexually with it as if it were a giant love organ.
    Even now I'm still not that bothered about them but should I give them another go or just take up chinese?

All encouragement, mockery and abuse greatly appreciated.

And what about you lot? Anything you've been plodding away at and not really getting anywhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

The art of Feng Shui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Gymnastics, Karate, Kung-fu, yada yada yada.

Just the kinda stuff that could make kick the shíte out of someone... in style! :pac: (assuming they deserved it of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Playing guitar. I own 2 of them. I can play a bit but I'm not bothered to learn anything. I would rather just listen to music when it comes to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Piano.
    I can play very basic piano, and my sheet reading skills leave alot to be desired.
    I've been half arsed learning it on and off since I was 4 ffs!
    You'd think I'd be better at it by now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Washing my car, Been meaning to do it since I bought it 1 month ago. Although the bucket, sponge etc. Keep getting closer to the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Bought Learn Italian CDs a couple of years ago and still can't string a sentence in Italian together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

German and Korean. They are things I'd love to be able to do but do not enjoy learning at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

German, guitar and cleaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Guitar, I was good when I was 18 I am useless now. Every time I pick it up I get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd love to perfect trolling, my mate Degsy almost had it down to a fine art.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

swimming and making sh!t out of wood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

German, guitar and cleaning!

Sounds like it could be an updated olympic triathlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Guitar. Have two, an electric and an acoustic. Used to play it a lot a few years ago. Can play a couple of songs on it but haven't played them in a long time...

Photography is the other one. Not given up on this one though. Its just a little hiatus while i've been busy with college stuff...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Really enjoyed French in school and went about improving it after the leaving cert, but quickly got sick of learning stupid verbs and tenses and what ever else your having yourself.

Worst thing is I have a lot of family in France and go there quite often. I always come back with renewed commitment to the cause but quickly lose interest after a week or so.

You should be able to just buy a chip that you can insert to your arm or something and boom, you can speak perfect French

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Fishing , I now have five fishing rods, two of which are particularly expensive .. one hasn't been used yet and I havent fished in two years.

Fishing rods are mentioned in the divorce papers.

not much really tend to go all out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

Playing guitar. I had to understand that I will never play guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Just pick up your guitar while watching TV or something.
    Once you get to a decent standard you'll love practicing.
    It's great to keep improving at and just think how good you will be in another year.
    It's the only hobby I really that isn't to do with sport.

It's great to keep improving at and just think how good you will be in another year.
    It's the only hobby I really (here) that isn't to do with sport.

I think you accidentally a word....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fixing electrical and electronic stuff. I've bought loads of books and have read none of them, and I've also got an array of tools for the job.

So far I've been electrocuted umpteen times and have fixed feck all.

When something conks out, I tell the family that I'll fix it, and in unison they laugh and tell me that I won't, the bastards.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

mattjack wrote: »
    I think you accidentally a word....
    You're right, it seem it accidentally the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

ciarang85 wrote: »
    swimming and making sh!t out of wood

Babies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Sounds like it could be an updated olympic triathlon.

I'd have to get good at them first! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

Scuba diving, shotgun sports (trap, skeet, bird hunting) and pistol shooting.

Previously it was golf, probably the most frustrating thing I've ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Being suave. I have hankered after a mastery of suaveness for decades but I'm still just a big redneck with a coffe stain down my front. I will watch a lot of James Bond and start trying harder. This renewed interest may have been induced by the smooth git who pulled up in his Porche in front of my van in the petrol station and oozed out with his stunning girlfriend. I had a bit of ketchup on my chin at the time.

It's the only hobby I really that isn't to do with sport.

That's what I used to do! Used to have my guitar by my computer, everytime I'ld be on my computer doing whatever, I'ld pick up the guitar and just mess around on it... I haven't never been patient enough to learn to play a full complicated song. But I learnt to play lots of simple 4-5 chord songs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There were hobbies I had a few years ago and haven't got back into them again as other things in life took over. Though always thought I take up yoga never have though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Various languages. Also going for the James Bond suave master of many languages thing but mostly coming out with jibberish

Did the language thing for awhile too when I was traveling a lot. Got pretty fair at Spanish and Portuguese, a bit of Russian, gave up on French. Also got pretty fair at spoken Mandarin which came in pretty handy for a two-week trip through some off-the-beaten-path places in China (would never be able to comprehend the written language, though). Like anything, without constant practice those skills get rusty real quick.

Pottler wrote: »
    Being suave. I have hankered after a mastery of suaveness for decades but I'm still just a big redneck with a coffe stain down my front. I will watch a lot of James Bond and start trying harder. This renewed interest may have been induced by the smooth git who pulled up in his Porche in front of my van in the petrol station and oozed out with his stunning girlfriend. I had a bit of ketchup on my chin at the time.

Pottler, mr Pottler.....

If its any consolation , mr. Porche is likely up to his bollix in debt, any stunning girlfriend is high maintenance and you can wash the ketchup off your boat race.

Poker this last few years.

I play full ring (cash) and am a marginally winning player over 250,000 hands (that sounds like a lot but when you have 6 tables on the go it racks up pretty quick). I withdrew €800 last Christmas and recently bought a €350 bike from my winnings after running $100 up to $500.

I contribute to 2+2 Poker strategy section, to hone my skills, and have my own bad moves pulled apart by the more experienced players (not so much these days).

I don't play as much as I used to because it's a not really a relaxing thing to do (extremely frustrating and smashy at times actually).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Drawing. I dont know if I'll ever be able to work up the drive needed to pursue it properly.

• Advertisement

I got a bike a few months ago, But I do enough of ridein ulready, without ridein a bike. :cool:

I got a bike a few months ago, But I do enough of ridein ulready, whit out ridein a bike. :cool:

You got a horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Serial killing, havent done it in months:o

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

harmonica! got one a few years ago and say i used it about 15 times. i have a severe lack of motivation when it comes to these things

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Maybe you should take it to another level and become a professional assassin. True, the hours are long and the schedule is unpredictable. But the pay is good and the work can provide a deep sense of satisfaction. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Another half-arsed guitar person here. I always wanted to have the ability to play whenever an impromptu sing-song started. I've a brand new one in the room for the last ten years, tuned n' all, just cannot fathom it and can't afford lessons and can't be arsed doing the tutorials online.

Years ago I did Tae Kwon Do up to blue belt level and quit, I wish I could remember ANY of it now. I'd love to do that again. I'd also love to be as good at German as I was 10-11 years ago - I've forgotten most of that. I'd also love to be fluent in Irish, just to be able to say I was.

You got a horse?

Yes, Show jumping and all that jazz. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

I don't play as much as I used to because it's a not really a relaxing thing to do (extremely frustrating and smashy at times actually).

Poker is an extremely hard way to make an easy living.

I too shall say poker anyway. I quit at the end of 2011 because I couldn't dedicate myself to it sufficiently but I came out of it having made about $25k between 2007 and 2011, including more than year off due to having all my money disappear when Microgaming and some other sites shut down.

I only ever played part time and never put in many hours. I hate to think of how much I would have made had I dedicated myself to it the way some on 2p2 have but you're certainly right, it's incredibly frustrating at times. There has been times in poker sessions where I've seen anger, frustration and depression that nothing else I've ever encountered could trigger. The highs of big winning sessions don't balance out the lows involved in long losing stretches.

I quit mainly because I've other things to dedicate myself to in order to make guaranteed and better money but I often think of the lifestyle I could have if I had dedicated myself that bit more.

Another possible thing I've done half arsed is exercise. I can get into exercising and go at it full steam ahead but then drop it very suddenly a few weeks later and thus have remained unfit for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

John Doe1 wrote: »

Get in touch with the Gambinos in NYC, Joey the butcher told me they're looking for a good contract guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

I'm doing this bike to work scheme thing. So soon to be cycling

RHarrow wrote: »
    you're certainly right, it's incredibly frustrating at times.

I couldn't do it as a job - too lonely and frustrating. I bust my bankroll once by getting battered by 8/9 set under sets on dry boards (100 to 1 against from memory) in the space of a few thousand hands (not managing the bankroll properly too ofc).

I can't imagine grinding out a living in the micros and depending on poker sites to not be shut down by legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I couldn't do it as a job - too lonely and frustrating. I bust my bankroll once by getting battered by 8/9 set under sets on dry boards (100 to 1 against from memory) in the space of a few thousand hands (not managing the bankroll properly too ofc).

I can't imagine grinding out a living in the micros and depending on poker sites to not be shut down by legislation.

Eh, yeah, me too. I set them king high low micro boards flush dry bankroll hyper global compu meganet purple monkey dishwasher.

Ha! I was bluffing! I know f*k all about poker or its lingo.

Eh, yeah, me too. I set them king high low micro boards flush dry bankroll hyper global compu meganet purple monkey dishwasher.

That gave me a good laf it has to be said. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

Well one of the biggest issues is that the poker community and poker media sell this dream that anyone can do it, which is why you've people who we're doing sfa with their life quitting their low level jobs to play NL25 all day in the hopes of becoming the next Tom Dwan.

With that being said, if legislation goes through in the US that and international players can play together again I'll be glued to the tables 24/7 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Playing the guitar
    I get so far, lose interest, and month's later decide i want to give it another go.... Its a fecking endless cycle!

• Advertisement
Advertisement