Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of compounding a car?

Options
  • 07-07-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

i was wondering does anyone know where i could get my car componded and how much it would cost? iv an astra 3 door paint has good few surface scratchs and dull areas cant afford to get it resprayed. any help would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Petey89 wrote: »
    i was wondering does anyone know where i could get my car componded and how much it would cost? iv an astra 3 door paint has good few surface scratchs and dull areas cant afford to get it resprayed. any help would be great :)
    Buy a can of T cut about ten clean rags two hours add plenty elbow grease,it its easy don't overdo an area ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I did something rather stupid to my front wing and it needed replacing and a coat that matches my car which of course is not quite the same shade of blue it was 10 years ago.

I work in the industrial estate on the Cork road and that's where I went as there are a few repair shops.
    Now I can't think of the name of the shop but I will try to give directions.
    Most importantly I found the job was done really well and I was pleasantly surprised how much (or little I should say) it cost. IIRC the front wing (brand new, unpainted) came in around €90, then the labour and the paint job. I think I paid just over €150 all in which seemed fair for all this on BMW 5 series and like I said it was done very well. This is two years ago now and you wouldn't know anything ever happened to it.

You come in form the Cork road opposite Sheridans and you take a right through the gate immediately after the Opel garage. You go down left/straight 'til the corner where you follow the road (right bend) and there you take the next left which brings you to an area with loads of little repair shops (tires, paint, you name it). From there you take the last lane to the right and on that it's the second shop on the left.

P.S. Of course the wing was shinier, newer than everything else after that so I had the very job done you're after and they also did this very well. Car was like new after.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Petey89 wrote: »
    Buy a can of T cut about ten clean rags two hours add plenty elbow grease,it its easy don't overdo an area ,
    +1 on the t-cut. Give it a going over with clay bar first. I did the oh's 97 c class a couple of years ago. Took about three hours, and I couldn't use my hand for a couple of days after, but it turned out amazing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

T-cut is bull****, it washes off over time.

What you want is a cutting compound, and a polish to bring the shine back after the cutting compound, and then a wax to seal in the work.

If you don't want to do it yourself, call Larry @ Cleancar.ie (http://www.cleancar.ie/) and ask him for a quote, he's in Waterford one or two days a week, and he can do it at your house or work place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

wellboytoo wrote:
    endacl wrote:
    +1 on the t-cut. Give it a going over with clay bar first. I did the oh's 97 c class a couple of years ago. Took about three hours, and I couldn't use my hand for a couple of days after, but it turned out amazing.

Not exactly my definition of 'easy' but then maybe I'm just lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

T CUT is a big NO NO for cars i dont know why they produced this stuff, Basicly its liquid sandpaper that strips layer after layer of laquer and or paint off your car, you can see the effects sometimes on cars where people used too much T-CUT its just faded and or has loads of Laque peel.

Wouldnt put T-Cut near any vehicle of mine, maybe an enemy's car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Lidl had polishing machines in at the moment get on of them and off ye pop! get a crack load of polishing liquid

Advertisement