Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Texas Republicans offical platform against critical thinking, what do you think?

• 07-07-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Quotes below taken from the official Texas Republican election platform. I suppose these are the people who brought us George W Bush.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/texas-republican-party-2012-platform-education_n_1632097.html

"Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority." :eek:

I think what they oppose we should try to get in as a subject in Ireland (maybe as part of philosophy). What do you think?

PS the document has other idiotic items on homosexuality etc. in case the above does not make people question the party which has control of congress in the US.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the texas state republican party has control of the us national congress?

**** me, that's news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Education which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority." :eek:

In other words

We don't need no diddley-darn teachers tellin' our young 'uns that Jeeheesus didn't save them and Mom and Pop aren't infallible iddley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://bigginsblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/latest-republican-party-daftness-2/

As I said above a while ago:
    ...they want kids to be taught not to question (something that even they think might be wrong) and just be a complete full time dumb like obeying drone – one to be used and exploited regardless of any morals/worries/qualms they might have as individuals.

The party also notes its encouragement of legislation that prevents “non-citizens unlawfully present in the United States” from enrolling in public schools, a stance that federal officials have previously deemed against the law. Sadly as regards the law, some Republicans seem to think it don’t apply to them – leaving aside war-criminals George Bush Senior and Junior who are in a whole higher criminal category of their own – the Republicans once again are showing their unwillingness to be loyal even to their own countries constitution and its legalities!

The stupidity however don’t end there! The Texas Republican Party also calls for abstinence only teaching – you know, like a bunch of out of date and touch, priests and nuns! They do not want teenagers to learn about safe-sex, how to use condoms to prevent the transfer of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD’s) or what they are even! They want nothing taught in the schools but “sex – don’t do it!” …And we know how effective that has been in the past worldwide when tried!

I said it before and I’ll say it again – the Democratic Party is far from perfect but seriously, god help America if the Republican party is elected again to power some day. They possess utter stupidity and nutters by the bucket-load!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It doesn't surprise me that they believe this.

It does surprise me that they'd come right out and say it.
    Independent thought has always been treated as dangerous by religion. Normally I'd expect a bit more tact with how they went about fighting it.

I suppose the problem, in practical terms and leaving aside the idea that it's immoral not to give people the tools to think, arises when you wind up miseducating your youth into scientific illiteracy and it seriously negatively effects society and the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Where are the democrats in all of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Cowering in terror that someone might accuse them of being "liberals". As usual, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It's just Texas being Texas. Sure it wouldn't be any fun if they changed, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

That is ridiculous , surely parents want to optimize their childrens potential not stifle it because they may challenge them. Texas once again sickens me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The party also notes its encouragement of legislation that prevents “non-citizens unlawfully present in the United States” from enrolling in public schools

Fair enough, it's taxpayers money

And some schools are oversubscribed, how would you feel if you lost on a school place to an illegal

The Democrats control the council in Houston and are busy putting a tax on strip club patrons to fund processing of rape kits that are held by police forensic teams
    Supporters of the ordinance, which was supported by Mayor Annise Parker and approved on a 14-1 vote, contend that strip clubs should shoulder some of the costs of rape investigations because the establishments can cultivate unhealthy attitudes toward women that can lead to sexual assaults.

"There are negative secondary effects associated with adult-entertainment establishments," said Ellen Cohen, the council member who championed the ordinance, which could generate up to $3 million in annual revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Right-wingers in "opposition to thinking" shocker.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Fair enough, it's taxpayers money

And some schools are oversubscribed, how would you feel if you lost on a school place to an illegal

Personally I wouldn't hold it against a child if (1) the parents placed their kid in hope that it too might get an education and (2) I wouldn't blame the child for the actions of a parent for they deciding to cross a border. A border maybe that they hoped would give their child a better life than they had previously.

...After all, the Irish have done similar in years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Well, school before in general doesn't focus on critical thinking so it wouldn't make much difference. To outright state it is a bit bizarre alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

It makes me laugh to think that this is the state that gave America the President that introduced Medicare, Medicaid, the Endowment for the Arts, Public Broadcasting and launched the War on Poverty.

What a difference 50 years can make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Reminds me of Communism ironically enough.

Death to the Jewish intellectual Bourgeoisie!

cristoir wrote: »
    It makes me laugh to think that this is the state that gave America the President that extended introduced Medicare, Medicaid, the Endowment for the Arts, Public Broadcasting and launched the War on Poverty.

What a difference 50 years can make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sindri wrote: »
    Reminds me of Communism ironically enough.

I was watching a documentary recently and in one part it was stated that the Russians (USSR) were very impressed by the uniformity of opinion in the US during the cold war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Advertisement