Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for losing belly fat fast

Options
  • 07-07-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I just gave up the fags and joined the gym last week. im just wondering whats the best workout to get rid of belly fat?? im kind of skinny everywhere else, i want to gain muscle mass also and im taking xtreme gainer but im going to just buy whey protein soon insted and make my own wight gainers as xtreme gainer is pricy. im a newbi to the gym so few tips would be helpfull thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Basically burn more calories than you take in. You can't target specific areas really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

well done on stopping smoking.

the main thing will be your diet - what does it look like, don't worry about shakes and gainers etc, if you eat well (veg, lean meat, chicken, fish), and train hard you'll do fine.

try a routine like starting strength or built like a badass

also cut down on the booze if you gargle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Move plenty of heavy stuff around with some short but high intensity cardio mixed in. As themandan6611 said above it’s mostly diet try to avoid processed stuff. Giving up the fags is class, congrats. Training will really help to stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

prob more of a H&F topic?

or am I just a bit grumpy today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Do your workout and put more abs training in ,and do cardio after the workout and it will be gone in notime.
    And make sure you eat right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Do your workout and put more abs training in ,and do cardio after the workout and it will be gone in notime.

No. You can't spot reduce fat. If you do loads of ab exercises, you might make your abs larger, but if you have belly fat, the fat will remain on top of your abs, so they won't be more defined.

The basic trick, which is what I am working on at the moment, is to work out to gain muscle mass. As muscle mass increases your daily calorie intake requirements to maintain weight increase. If you leave your calorie intake at what it is, the muscles will slowly burn off the fat, even when your not in the gym, and the tummy will eventually go down. It takes time, there is no fast way to do it. Once the belly fat has reduced, you will start to see some of the definition of your abs appear, and then you can start doing abs training to make them more defined.

If you do ab training, while your abs are covered in a layer of fat, you won't see any gains, and lets face it, its visual results we are partly looking for. No visual gains can be disheartening and can cause you to lose your drive and focus. Thats why I like weight lifting, because every few weeks I can lift a bit more and more, and while I am not seeing much being shaved off my waistline, my arms are visually bigger, so I do see results, and with time, the visceral fat will go down. It just takes time. Well done on cutting out the fags, best thing I ever did.

A tip on the gargle, if you do drink. For years i got in the habit of drinks after work on a friday evening, and more than one night I drank 10% of my body weight in beer, followed up by a kebab and a box of garlic and cheese chips. If your schedule allows it, go to the gym on Friday evening. You can still go out with your mates after, but generally I find, the evening is shorter therefore less time to drink alcohol. When I come straight out of the gym, I don't want beer, I want water and some protein, so a nice steak, maybe accompanied by a glass of merlot, and after that, I am less inclined to go back to beer. So you still get a night out and a few drinks, and you get to see people, but the calorie intake, which you should now be aware of by trying to drop fat, is reduced quite a bit.

Also, don't worry too much about whey and protein shakes etc. When starting out, and when your trying to lose weight, I personally don't think shakes and whey are needed. The opposite in fact. While I don't find them easy to drink anyway, I think it could be easy to make mistakes on the amounts, and end up giving your body more calories than you need in the day, resulting in not fat-loss, but gain.

I'm not an expert, anything but really, but my inexperience aside, that you can not spot reduce fat is not opinion, its a fact. Good luck!

syklops wrote: »
    No. You can't spot reduce fat. If you do loads of ab exercises, you might make your abs larger, but if you have belly fat, the fat will remain on top of your abs, so they won't be more defined.

The basic trick, which is what I am working on at the moment, is to work out to gain muscle mass. As muscle mass increases your daily calorie intake requirements to maintain weight increase. If you leave your calorie intake at what it is, the muscles will slowly burn off the fat, even when your not in the gym, and the tummy will eventually go down. It takes time, there is no fast way to do it. Once the belly fat has reduced, you will start to see some of the definition of your abs appear, and then you can start doing abs training to make them more defined.

If you do ab training, while your abs are covered in a layer of fat, you won't see any gains, and lets face it, its visual results we are partly looking for. No visual gains can be disheartening and can cause you to lose your drive and focus. Thats why I like weight lifting, because every few weeks I can lift a bit more and more, and while I am not seeing much being shaved off my waistline, my arms are visually bigger, so I do see results, and with time, the visceral fat will go down. It just takes time. Well done on cutting out the fags, best thing I ever did.

A tip on the gargle, if you do drink. For years i got in the habit of drinks after work on a friday evening, and more than one night I drank 10% of my body weight in beer, followed up by a kebab and a box of garlic and cheese chips. If your schedule allows it, go to the gym on Friday evening. You can still go out with your mates after, but generally I find, the evening is shorter therefore less time to drink alcohol. When I come straight out of the gym, I don't want beer, I want water and some protein, so a nice steak, maybe accompanied by a glass of merlot, and after that, I am less inclined to go back to beer. So you still get a night out and a few drinks, and you get to see people, but the calorie intake, which you should now be aware of by trying to drop fat, is reduced quite a bit.

Also, don't worry too much about whey and protein shakes etc. When starting out, and when your trying to lose weight, I personally don't think shakes and whey are needed. The opposite in fact. While I don't find them easy to drink anyway, I think it could be easy to make mistakes on the amounts, and end up giving your body more calories than you need in the day, resulting in not fat-loss, but gain.

I'm not an expert, anything but really, but my inexperience aside, that you can not spot reduce fat is not opinion, its a fact. Good luck!

Well it worked for me,and i have a sixpack now!!!
    I agree with what you are saying to a certain point,but read what i said first.
    The main trick is the cardio after the workout,That is what burns the fat.
    The mistake many is doing is that they start with cardio first then workout(not warming up),which is not recommended,The best is to do the workout first,followed by the cardio.
    And to build up your abs is not a problem,you can work on your abs any day.:D
    And drinking after any workout will definately not be recommended,then you are back to where you started again.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

The mistake many is doing is that they start with cardio first then workout(not warming up),which is not recommended,The best is to do the workout first,followed by the cardio.
    And drinking after any workout will definately not be recommended,then you are back to where you started again.;)

The calories you burn during excercise are low & have a very minor impact on weight loss! The trick is to create a defecit in calorie intake, there's plenty of people in the gym day in day out doing all the cardio in the world getting fitter but not losing weight! It's down to diet!

If you do resistance excercises that work midline stabilization (squat variations mainly) you don't need to work your abs separately! A high percentage of back problems is caused by poor choices in accesory abdominal work, out of interest what would you have the OP do for their abs?

Burkatron wrote: »
    The calories you burn during excercise are low & have a very minor impact on weight loss! The trick is to create a defecit in calorie intake, there's plenty of people in the gym day in day out doing all the cardio in the world getting fitter but not losing weight! It's down to diet!

If you do resistance excercises that work midline stabilization (squat variations mainly) you don't need to work your abs separately! A high percentage of back problems is caused by poor choices in accesory abdominal work, out of interest what would you have the OP do for their abs?

Offcourse you have to watch your diet,its pointless without,and same with alcohol.
    But they recommend cardio after workout for burning fat.
    And also its no point just training your abs,if you dont train your back as well.
    My program consist of strenght and cardio.
    I do the 5x5 strenght program and do 30 min run or on the bike after each excersise.
    The abs is just normal situps variations and sit up bench.
    And i do this every day.
    And i am on a diet.eat only whale,fish,chicken and red meat,eggs,cereals ,proteins and fiber.:D
    Dont drink any alcohol.:eek:(ok on a rare occation,lol,but no beer);)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shambob12

sounds good to me. I am just starting out and have belly to lose. have been going to gym for last two weeks and feel good, lifting really light weights and feel a little uncomfortable when i see guys lifting massive weights but it's all i can lift. I am also a vegetarian and wonder if anyone here knows of vegetarian bodybuilders as would love to get some advice and hints of someone for the veg diet and talk to someone about it.

• Advertisement

shambob12 wrote: »
    sounds good to me. I am just starting out and have belly to lose. have been going to gym for last two weeks and feel good, lifting really light weights and feel a little uncomfortable when i see guys lifting massive weights but it's all i can lift. I am also a vegetarian and wonder if anyone here knows of vegetarian bodybuilders as would love to get some advice and hints of someone for the veg diet and talk to someone about it.

Hi dont know of any in person,but theres always this one over in Canada.

http://www.vegetarianbodybuilder.com/index2.html

See if you can get any tips here.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Hi dont know of any in person,but theres always this one over in Canada.

http://www.vegetarianbodybuilder.com/index2.html

See if you can get any tips here.;)

Not bodybuilders but plenty of resources on pro Athletes that are vegetarian or vegan! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77798701

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegans

http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/macdanzig.html

The only problem with bodybuilders & Pro athletes is alot (not all & not saying any of the people mentioned above) of them are juicing so they're not the best examples to follow! Beetroot does not give you super powers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I suppose the amount of belly fat we are talking is relevant. If you had a flat stomach, but undefined abs, and you did more ab training, your abs increased in size, and thus, you had defined abs.

The fact the OP uses the term "belly fat", suggested to me he has a lot of viseral fat. If that is the case, I don't think ab exercises will help him.

Also, I once had a head ache, and I rubbed a cat on my head, and the next day the headache was gone. I didn't, however suggest other people try the same remedy.

syklops wrote: »
    I suppose the amount of belly fat we are talking is relevant. If you had a flat stomach, but undefined abs, and you did more ab training, your abs increased in size, and thus, you had defined abs.

The fact the OP uses the term "belly fat", suggested to me he has a lot of viseral fat. If that is the case, I don't think ab exercises will help him.

Also, I once had a head ache, and I rubbed a cat on my head, and the next day the headache was gone. I didn't, however suggest other people try the same remedy.

Well i just to do alot of weight training when i lived in Norway 15 years ago,but when i moved to Ireland and settled here,and working as captain on a offshoreboat in the North sea,the kilos just set in driving aboat for 18 hours a day.
    So 4 years ago i decided to get back in shape again,and at 6`2" and 115 kilos,way overweight and with quite the belly if you ask me.
    (I BLAME BACON AND CABBAGE AND GUINESS FOR IT,LOL);):D:D
    Today at 100 kilos and flat stomach yes, but alot of hard work and hard diet to get here.
    I was in touch with a friend of mine who is a bodybuilder in Norway,and he recommended this to me,and that is what he uses before competitions.
    So yes i would recommend it.;)
    It doesnt matter what workout weight traing you do,but the cardio have to be after,not before to loose the extra fat.
    And the abs is no problem to do,even every day,as long as you work your back during your workout.
    And you dont have to do your abs,but it sure helps if you ask me.;):D
    And i dont think rubbing a cat on your stomach helps either:eek:

But we are all built different and have different metabolism,so the best isto find what suits you,but you dont know before you have tried;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fimblez

your gonna find it extremely difficult to lose fat straight after quitting smoking... lyle mcdoanld has an article on it, basically showing how your leptin levels will be severely depressed in withdrawal. I'd focus on lifting hard and heavy, and eating well for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dr.Zeus

Like most posters say, cardio after workout is most important, and cardio should be for more than 15 mins, shoot for 20 mins to start with (well done on giving up the smoking btw, I was in your shoes 17 years ago!).
    Also, remember the secret with gaining muscle mass is NOT to lift every day, your muscles need time to recover. I've spoken with newbies to gyms who lift heavy weights 6 days a week and cannot gain muscle. Typically you should lift heavy weights 3 or 4 days a week only, at most.
    Target specific muscle groups per session, e.g. arms, shoulders one day and chest,legs next day.
    Don't forget core muscles, they are most important and easily forgotten.
    Use progressively heavier weights when lifting, typically 3 -4 sets with 6-10 reps per set. Exercise to "muscle failure" on each set, very important, so basically the muscle cannot lift anything more, then rest 4 mins and go again.

Don't do a weight session longer than 45 mins.
    If you find yourself doing 15-20 reps in a set then you need to increase the weight so you're down to 6-10 reps.

And remember, the resting of muscle on days off the gym is most important for growth. You will gain very little by over-exercise.
    All I can say is, the above worked for me.

Good luck :)

Advertisement