Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An (unexpectedly) good article on the state of gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Wait, Darksiders 2 is going to have some sort of subscription?

FML :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

Damn I hope not, i loved the first Darksiders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

mystic86 wrote: »
    An (unexpectedly) good article on the state of gaming

That was fucking awful.

Why did you tell lies on the internet, you know that's not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

That was fucking awful.

Why did you tell lies on the internet, you know that's not allowed.

Jeeze, what was awful bout it dude?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can't say any of the observations in the article are particularly new, insightful or indeed even well-written? Same tired arguments we hear again and again.

And the whole getting pissed over Mass Effect 3 and demanding a new ending thing was not a positive precedent. No-one won in that situation, no-one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I dont think a rant can be qualified as an article really can it? As someone already said it's not exactly anything new is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

It's in a state of recession as far as I'm concerned. On my platform; having to content myself with mostly average titles this year. It's just how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I was tempted to stop reading when the author described Mass Effect 3 as "(by and large) a seminal achievement in storytelling within games" but I kept going. What a mistake that was. What a bizarre mix of stating the obvious in some places, missing the point by a wide margin in others, having numerous digs at EA for a lack of creativity while ignoring the worse culprit (by far) Activision and then using Mirrors Edge as his example of a game which is creative and then, to add insult to injury, he places the blame squarely at a small number of publishers without even mentioning a more obvious issue...

We don't have BF3 Premium because Activision released CoD Elite, we have it because 1.5m people paid for CoD Elite while 7m use its free services. A figure, may I add, which was announced prior to even one bit of additional content was released via the service.

The Premium service (read: Season Pass) for BF3 will probably be extended to other games too since less than a month after launch it had sold 800k copies.

We don't have to worry about Diablo III's always on single player game being extended to other titles because of Blizzard, we have to because 3.5m people bought the game in the first 24 hours after release despite knowing about said connectivity requirements and, despite the issues with said connectivity over the course of the next week or so, this number grew to 6.3m.

Yea it'd be nice if this stuff was never made in the first place, but these are businesses we're talking about, they exist to make money. At a corporate level they don't really care if it's good or not, they only care if it sells. I fear that my retort to this argument is going to become as stale as the content in this article but it's just incredibly simple; If people want things to change then vote with your god damn wallets.
    danthefan wrote: »
    Wait, Darksiders 2 is going to have some sort of subscription?
    It has as Season Pass for all of its DLC whose pricing is based on which version of the game you buy.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

And the whole getting pissed over Mass Effect 3 and demanding a new ending thing was not a positive precedent. No-one won in that situation, no-one at all.

I won, I got an ending I prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

mystic86 wrote: »
    Jeeze, what was awful bout it dude?

Frankly everything.
    The incoherent EA rage, the tired old "ORIGINALITY IZ DED" nonsense, the stunning inability to grasp the basics of how companies work, the entire argument being predicated on the misunderstanding that people liking things he doesn't is terrible, and apparently the dipshit responsible for this travesty payed no attention to what's actually happening with Dead space 3 before spewing this poorly written screed all over the Internet.
    And frankly, fuck him right in the ear for claiming anything positive came out of the ME3 whinefest.

When you said good article, I was expecting something that had managed to drag itself out of the sewer that constitutes most blogs and forum posts about gaming.
    I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Well that was 5 minutes of my life I won't see again :mad:

Old arguments articulated with some swear words and EA/Blizzard bashing makes for a very tiresome read.

Advertisement