Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Shopping!!

• 07-07-2012 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

hi all
    might seem like stupid question but can anyone clarify what shops you can and can't take your dog?
    apart from the obvious food outlets of course but say...the liffey valley shopping centre thoroughfare for example....or clothes shops, book shops and the like.
    Smyths toy shop welcomed us with open arms one day which got me thinkin 'where else could we go?'
    looking for personal experiences rather than opinions thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The pet shop is the only place I take my guy. Surely anyone allowing dogs in would need insurance for it - can't see that many places having it tbh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I think it varies from shop to shop (even between branches of the same shop). When I worked in Waterstones we (or at least me and a few others) actively encouraged it. One guy always said, if you are buying a dog book, you have to bring in the dog. That's assuming the dog is really well trained. I can't wait for my pup to get all her shots so I can bring her in and show her off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

It really irks me that Ireland isn't more dog friendly like the rest of Europe.. Urgh..

Anyway. When I worked in Xtravision we always allowed dogs in the shop, they didn't seem to have any anti-dog policy anyway :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

so true-a relation of mine goes to germany every summer and her pooch gets a chair and a bowl and water in alot of restaurants!! Imagine!

thanks a mill for the replies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Léan wrote: »
    It really irks me that Ireland isn't more dog friendly like the rest of Europe.. Urgh..

Anyway. When I worked in Xtravision we always allowed dogs in the shop, they didn't seem to have any anti-dog policy anyway :).

The Xtravision in Rathgar has a sign saying no dogs :(

The only shops I found that don't mind are the charity shops, everyone in them actually stopped to say hello to my little one. I had a problem with a shop in Rathmines, the asked me not to bring the dog again (after I paid for my stuff mind you), she was really well behaved and got in no ones way, but there was a really rude woman with a HUGE buggy banging off everyone and knocking off stuff, she was welcome but my dog isn't :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I didn't think there were any shops you could bring your dog to apart from the odd pet shop,Ireland seems to be a bit backward in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

When on days out with dogs and stopped to shop, we have brought dogs into clarks shoe shops, Game stop, the book centre and another book shop, small ladies clothing shop in kilkenny, and a couple of other places. All on invitation though, usually one of us stands by the door with dogs while other looks, and we have been welcomed into several places....often so the staff can cuddle the dogs.

Advertisement