Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More cuts in health spending

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

creedp wrote: »
    One of the key problems with the Irish 'public' health system is that if you paid privately to see the 'public' consultant you would probably see him within a couple of weeks. Its like a lot of organisational problems, if reform is needed it must start at the top. The idea that a consultant paid around €250k a year by the taxpayer to work in a public hospital to treat public patients can choose to ignore (sorry delay seeing them) public patients in favour of fast tracking private patients (irrespective of their clinical need for the care) is simply unacceptable in an equitable healthcare system. You show your mpney and you get looked after. Yes its fine in a private healthcare system but not in a public one. This is where we must start in any reform of the 'public' health system.

100%, something is badly out of balance when that can't be stopped.

The problem is that all the politicians and top civil servants have private health insurance so the status quo suits them fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

woodoo wrote: »
    100%, something is badly out of balance when that can't be stopped.

The problem is that all the politicians and top civil servants have private health insurance so the status quo suits them fine.

It's not just the top guys who cause the issues (and i appreciate you are not saying otherwise).. the system all the way down is riddled with people who cause issues and hide behind the status quo..

Try to rationalise the amount of admin or managers required .. the unions will call strikes and their members will walk out..
    Try and get porters to provide services to other wards etc. .. the unions will call strikes and their members will walk out..

etc etc etc.. there are hundred of examples where unions and their members refuse to allow any modifications of the system for the benefit of patients.. People need to start to react to that and not just lay the blame at only the higher levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Welease wrote: »
    It's not just the top guys who cause the issues (and i appreciate you are not saying otherwise).. the system all the way down is riddled with people who cause issues and hide behind the status quo..

Try to rationalise the amount of admin or managers required .. the unions will call strikes and their members will walk out..
    Try and get porters to provide services to other wards etc. .. the unions will call strikes and their members will walk out..

etc etc etc.. there are hundred of examples where unions and their members refuse to allow any modifications of the system for the benefit of patients.. People need to start to react to that and not just lay the blame at only the higher levels.

You have proof of that I presume?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

there are hundred of examples where unions and their members refuse to allow any modifications of the system for the benefit of patients.. People need to start to react to that and not just lay the blame at only the higher levels.

Hundreds?

Link to 10..if you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

We can all be pedantic and seek links to proof of this , that or the other -

Allow me as a former member of HSE staff to give a few examples - bone density scanners sitting in their packing crates years after they were bought , why ? Unions cannot agree as to who should operate them.

Stroke victims needing MRI scans after 5pm must wait till the next day despite the loss of the ' golden hours ' immediately after their stroke, why ? Unions will not agree to improved hours.

Patients on trolleys - why can't the trolleys be moved to a ward which would surely be better than A+E , yeah you guessed Nursing unions say it compromises patient care - I say they don't want the extra work.

Anyone in the HSE could recite a long list of instances where unions ( frequently flying the flag of convenience of Health and Safety ) have blocked efforts to improve services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Delancey wrote: »
    We can all be pedantic and seek links to proof of this , that or the other -

Allow me as a former member of HSE staff to give a few examples - bone density scanners sitting in their packing crates years after they were bought , why ? Unions cannot agree as to who should operate them.

Stroke victims needing MRI scans after 5pm must wait till the next day despite the loss of the ' golden hours ' immediately after their stroke, why ? Unions will not agree to improved hours.

Patients on trolleys - why can't the trolleys be moved to a ward which would surely be better than A+E , yeah you guessed Nursing unions say it compromises patient care - I say they don't want the extra work.

Anyone in the HSE could recite a long list of instances where unions ( frequently flying the flag of convenience of Health and Safety ) have blocked efforts to improve services.

Exceptional post Delancey as was post 43 above.

You know it from the inside and all has the ring of truth.

In the early 1980's I met the manager of a very large Dublin hospital and got to discuss the maintenance men with him; he said they felt by turning up they were entitled to their weekly pay and they would only do any 'work' on overtime.

Having worked for years in the civil service my summary would be
    (1) In private sector 75% of instructions implemented
    (2) In public service 50%
    (3) In civil service 25%

Combine these stats with the dire standard of management in the public service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

It is always the same with public money on one cares in how it is spent, it is the UK, you will see these people hiding behind vulnerable and sick and disabled people plus closing care centres and closing of libraries....saying they will be the first to go. On the bases that they cannot afford them to keep them going with cutbacks, but these same people will continue to do as they have been always doing waiting in their jobs for their guaranteed pension with their large salaries and perhaps a lump sum when leaving their posts as well. :mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Good loser wrote: »
    Exceptional post Delancey as was post 43 above.

You know it from the inside and all has the ring of truth.

In the early 1980's I met the manager of a very large Dublin hospital and got to discuss the maintenance men with him; he said they felt by turning up they were entitled to their weekly pay and they would only do any 'work' on overtime.

Having worked for years in the civil service my summary would be
    (1) In private sector 75% of instructions implemented
    (2) In public service 50%
    (3) In civil service 25%

Combine these stats with the dire standard of management in the public service.
    The unions are not the problem – no point in blaming them for doing what unions do - carry out the wishes of their members (even if at times, like misbehaving children, union behaviour can appear misguided, short-term and selfish).

But the unions are not in charge – that is the job of leadership and management, starting with the minister and working down from top management in the Department of Health and the HSE.

To quote W. Edwards Deming, American who played a key role in transforming Japanese industry in the 1950’s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming):
    "The worker is not the problem. The problem is at the top! Management!”. Management’s job “is to direct the efforts of all components toward the aim of the system. The first step is clarification: everyone in the organization must understand the aim of the system, and how to direct his efforts toward it. Everyone must understand the damage and loss to the whole organization from a team that seeks to become a selfish, independent, profit centre."

Government has been in power since March 2011. This includes Health Minister, Dr. James Reilly, who has had enough time to get to grips with the situation and do what it takes to improve the service (“get more for less”) and live within the budget he himself has agreed to at cabinet.

Yes, of course there are problems. Of course it is difficult, particularly when Labour, in the form of Minister Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Brendan Howlin, Tánaiste, Eamon Gilmore and company keep pointing to the Croke Park Agreement.

But that’s the job Dr. Reilly signed up to – not the inertia and overspending we are now seeing. His speech to the Dail today will be interesting to observe!

Degsy wrote: »
    Hundreds?

Link to 10..if you please.

Spend a couple of weeks in hospital like I did, and you will be presented with more than enough examples (or trawl the web for union related discussion.. plenty there also)..

Why is my breakfast/lunch/dinner delivered each day when I will not be there and it has been explained to the catering/nursing staff? Becuase apparently they have to..

Why could the guy in the bed next to me not get a clean towel on a friday? Because the staff could not go across to another ward and get one (our ward had none), it had to run through another department who ended up having to call in someone to deliver the towel. I was not allowed to go and request it.

Why was my MRI scan taken in Naas (plus blood tests) not used by Beaumont? Because they need to take new ones themselves (part of the process) so I had to "be in a bed" (actually allowed to leave each day but had to be back by 8:30 each night) for 6 days without any treatment or medication until that scan could be taken.

Why in the first 2-3 days, did I have 4-5 different departments come to me and fill out a form with exactly the same information required on it? On requesting why the same information was being requested again, the response was "thats a different department".. so what? it's the same information? Each department was blissfully unaware of the information already provided and no intertested in seeking it out.

Why was Gerry in the bed across from me (who had spent 6 weeks in hospital for a brain shunt) on the day he released checked for any potential prostate issues (absolutely nothing to do with any issue he was having), then held for another week for the test to be performed (Prostate tests are only done on Tuesdays.. it sucked for him it was now Wednesday)? which came back clean, but mentally destroyed him for a few days..

Why was Brian booked for an MRI scan and Physio at the exact same time, when he only gets 15 mins every 3 days (his consultant had not appeared in over 10 days).. Neither porter would ring anyone to see if a slot could be moved.. both stood there saying unless he came with them now then they would just move onto the next patient.

Why was I called into hospital on a Thursday evening for a potential brain biopsy on a Friday, when no tests (bloods, MRI etc.) had been done and there was no way the computer controlled needle could be configured if noone knew where the brain tumor was? I was finally operated on 8 days later.. The tests required were not done until 6 days later. I did not need to be in hospital.

Why was my daily release subject to different process each day which required consultants/senior doctors being called in.. because each department had a different person with a different "process".. It wasnt until my consultant finally got pissed off and wrote that I had total clearance until I was operated on that things moved along.. Until the next day when it started again..

Why were the wheel chairs taken away each friday for disinfection by the porters and kept until Sunday rendering a large % of the ward bed ridden for the complete weekend?

Why when I went and spoke to the Porter manager he told me that he had no idea where all the wheel chairs were going, and the best idea for me would be to rob one if I saw it (he had 3 porters standing there waiting for chairs to be located as it was another dept apparently that takes them away).. (I finally managed to locate one on a different ward and asked the head Nurse if it was ok to borrow.. she agreed because they had locked another one in a spare toilet for safety).

Why when come patients won't eat the food and request that it stop being delivered? Catering staff fill out the form for them and deliver it anyway.. it sits there goes cold and gets thrown out, while the patient eats a sandwich from elsewhere.

Why since Beaumont went non smoking have we put up a load of large Welcome signs (about the non smoking) around 6ft in size.. but we dont have even half the blood pressure machines on the ward working? No cash to fix them apparently..

Why is the canteen/coffee shop open from 8:30am to about 10pm (iirc) monday to friday.. but when most people are available to visit (the weekend) it's open from 11am - 5pm?

I could go on and easily hit 100 if you want.. but it would be pointless and serve no purpose.. The front line staff were lovely and do work hard, but there is very little intelligence and lots of conflicting process applied that costs money and renders the HSE ineffective, even HSE staff will attest to that. As per my original point, the senior management did not cause any of my issues above.. its top to bottom and any applied intelligence and desire to reform could fix the bulk to time/cost saving issues.

• Advertisement

Spend a couple of weeks in hospital like I did, and you will be presented with more than enough examples (or trawl the web for union related discussion.. plenty there also)..

Why is my breakfast/lunch/dinner delivered each day when I will not be there and it has been explained to the catering/nursing staff? Becuase apparently they have to..

Why could the guy in the bed next to me not get a clean towel on a friday? Because the staff could not go across to another ward and get one (our ward had none), it had to run through another department who ended up having to call in someone to deliver the towel. I was not allowed to go and request it.

Why was my MRI scan taken in Naas (plus blood tests) not used by Beaumont? Because they need to take new ones themselves (part of the process) so I had to "be in a bed" (actually allowed to leave each day but had to be back by 8:30 each night) for 6 days without any treatment or medication until that scan could be taken.

Why in the first 2-3 days, did I have 4-5 different departments come to me and fill out a form with exactly the same information required on it? On requesting why the same information was being requested again, the response was "thats a different department".. so what? it's the same information? Each department was blissfully unaware of the information already provided and no intertested in seeking it out.

Why was Gerry in the bed across from me (who had spent 6 weeks in hospital for a brain shunt) on the day he released checked for any potential prostate issues (absolutely nothing to do with any issue he was having), then held for another week for the test to be performed (Prostate tests are only done on Tuesdays.. it sucked for him it was now Wednesday)? which came back clean, but mentally destroyed him for a few days..

Why was Brian booked for an MRI scan and Physio at the exact same time, when he only gets 15 mins every 3 days (his consultant had not appeared in over 10 days).. Neither porter would ring anyone to see if a slot could be moved.. both stood there saying unless he came with them now then they would just move onto the next patient.

Why was I called into hospital on a Thursday evening for a potential brain biopsy on a Friday, when no tests (bloods, MRI etc.) had been done and there was no way the computer controlled needle could be configured if noone knew where the brain tumor was? I was finally operated on 8 days later.. The tests required were not done until 6 days later. I did not need to be in hospital.

Why was my daily release subject to different process each day which required consultants/senior doctors being called in.. because each department had a different person with a different "process".. It wasnt until my consultant finally got pissed off and wrote that I had total clearance until I was operated on that things moved along.. Until the next day when it started again..

Why were the wheel chairs taken away each friday for disinfection by the porters and kept until Sunday rendering a large % of the ward bed ridden for the complete weekend?

Why when I went and spoke to the Porter manager he told me that he had no idea where all the wheel chairs were going, and the best idea for me would be to rob one if I saw it (he had 3 porters standing there waiting for chairs to be located as it was another dept apparently that takes them away).. (I finally managed to locate one on a different ward and asked the head Nurse if it was ok to borrow.. she agreed because they had locked another one in a spare toilet for safety).

Why when come patients won't eat the food and request that it stop being delivered? Catering staff fill out the form for them and deliver it anyway.. it sits there goes cold and gets thrown out, while the patient eats a sandwich from elsewhere.

Why since Beaumont went non smoking have we put up a load of large Welcome signs (about the non smoking) around 6ft in size.. but we dont have even half the blood pressure machines on the ward working? No cash to fix them apparently..

Why is the canteen/coffee shop open from 8:30am to about 10pm (iirc) monday to friday.. but when most people are available to visit (the weekend) it's open from 11am - 5pm?

I could go on and easily hit 100 if you want.. but it would be pointless and serve no purpose.. The front line staff were lovely and do work hard, but there is very little intelligence and lots of conflicting process applied that costs money and renders the HSE ineffective, even HSE staff will attest to that. As per my original point, the senior management did not cause any of my issues above.. its top to bottom and any applied intelligence and desire to reform could fix the bulk to time/cost saving issues.

I very much sympathize with you as a patient on the receiving end of bad service and the poor operating systems that you describe.

But, I would not agree that senior management are powerless to deal with these issues. As per my earlier post - it is the responsibility of management to put in the systems and processes that will produce a good experience for the end customer.

This job has to start at the top. Yes, it will be difficult, given the background of ingrained bad processes and the checks and balances imposed by Labour (as per wishes of the Irish Electorate). But it is not an impossible task to fix the Health Service - that is precisely the job taken on by Dr James Reilly and, I for one, am losing patience with his performance so far.

golfwallah wrote: »
    I very much sympathize with you as a patient on the receiving end of bad service and the poor operating systems that you describe.

But, I would not agree that senior management are powerless to deal with these issues. As per my earlier post - it is the responsibility of management to put in the systems and processes that will produce a good experience for the end customer.

This job has to start at the top. Yes, it will be difficult, given the background of ingrained bad processes and the checks and balances imposed by Labour (as per wishes of the Irish Electorate). But it is not an impossible task to fix the Health Service - that is precisely the job taken on by Dr James Reilly and, I for one, am losing patience with his performance so far.

Yes and No

Senior Management are responsible for dictating direction, but cannot implement or drive the changes through with force (in many cases they are probably not even familiar with the gound level issues in place).. ALL members of the HSE need to be driving change.

Type "HSE Strike" into Google.. that is not a union (or its members!) who are trying to drive positive patient care through the system irrespective of what anyone says, why else would the "jobs for life" have been taken to the labour courts to ensure that the masses of unnecessary admin staff were kept in place so that cuts had to be made elsewhere (patient care).

Unfortunately the system is failing from top to bottom, and no single entity can be held responsible for fix it (because they can't alone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

ART6 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0707/1224319603326.html

In years gone by I had no reason to avail of the HSE, but now my wife is in hospital, and she is seriously ill. She is unable to stand or walk, and she cannot feed herself. Accordingly my son and I have been taking it in turns to go to her a mealtimes and take on the task of feeding her. This is difficult for my son as he runs his own business and is under some pressure.

In the week gone by I met with the senior doctor who is in charge of her ward (and two others). That was something of a revelation. He knew that my son and I had been attending to feed my wife, and he said that without that she might not always be fed. Her ward is staffed by three nurses and two students (who, he said, are not being paid). The nurses would try to feed her, but if they received a call for, for example, someone who urgently needed the toilet, then they would have to leave her. In that case it was probable that the catering staff would simply take away any uneaten food. At one point my wife became severely dehydrated because she couldn't handle the glass of water that was left on her bed table. This resulted in her being fitted with a saline drip because the nurses simply didn't have time to give her drinks.

I want to get my wife home, and I asked if the hospital had yet prepared the care plan that would allow it to happen. The doctor sighed "We can prepare all the care plans you like, but there is no funding. Until then she will stay in here and be threatened with all of the hospital-induced infections there are."

He then told me that he had worked in the hospital for twenty five years, but was leaving this year. He said he was moving to the UK to work in the health service there. He was doing that because he was trying to run three wards with one junior doctor and one intern, and what he was expected to do was impossible.

I recall posts some time ago from Biggins and the battle he had with the HSE to obtain treatment for his seriously ill child. It seems that nothing has changed. It seems, to me anyway, that whatever happens we must satisfy the financial demands of bond holders and to hell with the people.

This has got to stop, but I don't have a clue how to stop it other than kicking Dr. Reilly out of office for incompetence and, hopefully, taking Enda and the rest of his pigs snouts with him. I intend to send this missive to every damned TD I can find, with the secure knowledge that it will make no difference at all because it will not affect salaries, expenses, and pensions for another few years.:mad:
    My sympathies.

I think people with these stories should send them on to the Unions and ask them why the public sector are getting 300 million in increments when the country is bankrupt and people are suffering this hardship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Yes and No

Senior Management are responsible for dictating direction, but cannot implement or drive the changes through with force (in many cases they are probably not even familiar with the gound level issues in place).. ALL members of the HSE need to be driving change.

Type "HSE Strike" into Google.. that is not a union (or its members!) who are trying to drive positive patient care through the system irrespective of what anyone says, why else would the "jobs for life" have been taken to the labour courts to ensure that the masses of unnecessary admin staff were kept in place so that cuts had to be made elsewhere (patient care).

Unfortunately the system is failing from top to bottom, and no single entity can be held responsible for fix it (because they can't alone)

Absolutely agree that management from the very lowest rung to the top has to stop abdicating responsibility.
    In your example of the porter manager if he's shrugging his shoulders and not working to communicate and resolve the problem with his counterpart in the other department (whom he probably greets every day) then he's permitting extra unnecessary work for all the other staff and complications like bed sores for patients.

And it's almost certainly solvable at that level, by small swaps in the work schedule, and a one page explanatory note to his manager who can do the more complicated paperwork.
    On creating a new workplace it never starts off working anything close to perfectly. It's small adjustments and improvements again and again and again. Forever.
    The lowest level of management amongst the front line, need to listen for feedback and mutterings and work with their peers in the building to reorganise. If complaints only climb the department chain to the top then they will bypass the managers that can solve the issue. Reilly doesn't know where the wheelchairs went to either.
    Calls for a revolution and a new broom at the top will often delay this realisation and implementation.

ressem wrote: »
    In your example of the porter manager if he's shrugging his shoulders and not working to communicate and resolve the problem with his counterpart in the other department (whom he probably greets every day) then he's permitting extra unnecessary work for all the other staff and complications like bed sores for patients.

Not to labour the point, but there direct and indirect consequences of each and every action or inaction..

There are huge waiting lists for MRI scans.. his slot remained unused, and had to be rebooked which further extended the waiting list. The indirect consequence of lots of actions like that are I (and many others including him) spend 6-8 unnecessary days in hospital (luckly I can easily afford private cover so therefore I get done) and others less fortunate don't even get to see a bed in a reasonable time because a consultant prefers me paying €935 + €75 per day rather than only €75 for public patients. Despite the seriousness of my condition, I didn't need to be there and someone else who needed to be in a bed should have been there... I was actually down in Coolock cinema killing time (i think watching Snow White gave me the brain tumor :)).

We got a phone call on last Thursday evening saying our appointment with the consultant for the next day had been cancelled due to emergency surgery. My wife explained noone had told us we were booked in for an appointment (we dont live in Dublin).. The nurse sighed as it's another department who are supposed to do the bookings, and these issues happen so often now then a consultant and their team are left standing around with no patients to give updates to because noone tells the patient to come back to the hospital.. End result, consultants time (and nurses, doctors etc who accompany them) is doubled (and they are not available or booked to provide treatment during these sessions) as they need to come back in again to tell me if I am going to die.. The consultant will now only meet patients on a single day per month. In 12 weeks I will find out if I am dying.. assuming "the other department" remembers to ring me ;)

Its a continual cycle of waste and cost that really can be fixed by low level management and staff.. As another patient commented to the Dept head when I was there.. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and in most cases.. doesn't care..

Edit - I should add for clarity.. the vast majority of staff I encountered were wonderful.. they work hard and long hours (somewhat headless chicken though). However the bulk of their issues, pain and waste is caused by this department by department isolation that means 10 people across different departments need to be involved in getting a clean towel for a guy who hasnt been washed in a week.. because walking across and grabbing it from the shelf 50 feet away would cause organisational uproar and cannot be allowed to happen. His well being or concern is not part of the equation.. I have never worked for an organisation globally (in over 30 years) who have ever considered working like that, nor would it be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭creedp

Not to labour the point, but there direct and indirect consequences of each and every action or inaction..

There are huge waiting lists for MRI scans.. his slot remained unused, and had to be rebooked which further extended the waiting list. The indirect consequence of lots of actions like that are I (and many others including him) spend 6-8 unnecessary days in hospital (luckly I can easily afford private cover so therefore I get done) and others less fortunate don't even get to see a bed in a reasonable time because a consultant prefers me paying €935 + €75 per day rather than only €75 for public patients. Despite the seriousness of my condition, I didn't need to be there and someone else who needed to be in a bed should have been there... I was actually down in Coolock cinema killing time (i think watching Snow White gave me the brain tumor :)).

First off I hope you are recovering well after your treatment and continue to do so and not have to experience the list of grievances you outlined earlier again any time soon.

While I am in full agreement that the system needs to be reformed from top to bottom to consign to the dustbin the inefficient and downright ridiculous practices that prevail in hospitals I am firmly of the belief that such reform has to start at the top. Many of the ridiculous practices re: patients remaining in beds unnecessarily and confusion over appointments stem from the fact that consultant control who, when and for how long a patient stays in a hospital. This is compounded by the public/private mix and the existence of 2 waiting lists based on whether you are a public or private patient. In a public hospital the administration has to operate these 2 distinct streams of patients at no cost to the consultant. Its a bit rich sometimes when I hear consultants complain about their patients not been treated appropriately when these guys expect the public patient to 'yield' to the private patients and expect the taxpayer to pay for the administration of private patients for the financial gain of the consultants.

Like any other reform, e.g. pay reform, it must start at the top to give example down the line. Getting rid of the two-tier system would not only simplify the administration of the system but ensure that all patients are treated fairly and according to their clinical need. It would also ensure that consultants work on-site in the hospital for all patients for the required period and not be off tending to the needs of a certain cohort. No other country, to my knowledge, operates like ours in this context and if we were on top of the quality chart I'd say fair play... but we're not so its high time we looked at the big picture and introduce fundamental organisational reform to the system which would then trickle down to deal with the operational nonsense that goes on in the system.

• Advertisement

First off I hope you are recovering well after your treatment and continue to do so and not have to experience the list of grievances you outlined earlier again any time soon.

While I am in full agreement that the system needs to be reformed from top to bottom to consign to the dustbin the inefficient and downright ridiculous practices that prevail in hospitals I am firmly of the belief that such reform has to start at the top. Many of the ridiculous practices re: patients remaining in beds unnecessarily and confusion over appointments stem from the fact that consultant control who, when and for how long a patient stays in a hospital. This is compounded by the public/private mix and the existence of 2 waiting lists based on whether you are a public or private patient. In a public hospital the administration has to operate these 2 distinct streams of patients at no cost to the consultant. Its a bit rich sometimes when I hear consultants complain about their patients not been treated appropriately when these guys expect the public patient to 'yield' to the private patients and expect the taxpayer to pay for the administration of private patients for the financial gain of the consultants.

Like any other reform, e.g. pay reform, it must start at the top to give example down the line. Getting rid of the two-tier system would not only simplify the administration of the system but ensure that all patients are treated fairly and according to their clinical need. It would also ensure that consultants work on-site in the hospital for all patients for the required period and not be off tending to the needs of a certain cohort. No other country, to my knowledge, operates like ours in this context and if we were on top of the quality chart I'd say fair play... but we're not so its high time we looked at the big picture and introduce fundamental organisational reform to the system which would then trickle down to deal with the operational nonsense that goes on in the system.

I agree 100%.. I just want to make sure that people really do understand that Yes, change needs to happen at the top, but it equally needs to happen at the bottom. Each and every member of the HSE can tell you of rediculous practise they have to deal with each and every day.. but how many of them have made a stand, and how many HSE people have backed up that stand?

It's easy to blame the big guys, while also ignoring their attempted changes (strike ballots etc.).. but at some stage the whole organisation needs to take responsibility for each and every disfunctional part (and learn from the world class parts) and implement change.

As I said, I am lucky to get bumped to the front of the list becuase I am private (and will continue to be for that exact reason).. I couldnt imagine what it feels like to be sitting at home for months, while I am at the cinema "in your bed".... but how many of the low level managers, staff or union members have ever put their hands up to the issues I listed and tried to force the change they know is desperately needed? They have however gone to court to ensure swathes of unnecessary Admin staff were kept in place....

btw.. thanks for the kind responses.. and don't worry I wont be offended by equally strong arguements against my position :) i feel its time fair and honest discussion happened, and I do have some recent real experience to shed some light (and can blame a brain tumor if i am wrong /wink)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

We got a phone call on last Thursday evening saying our appointment with the consultant for the next day had been cancelled due to emergency surgery. My wife explained noone had told us we were booked in for an appointment (we dont live in Dublin).. The nurse sighed as it's another department who are supposed to do the bookings, and these issues happen so often now then a consultant and their team are left standing around with no patients to give updates to because noone tells the patient to come back to the hospital.. End result, consultants time (and nurses, doctors etc who accompany them) is doubled (and they are not available or booked to provide treatment during these sessions) as they need to come back in again to tell me if I am going to die.. The consultant will now only meet patients on a single day per month. In 12 weeks I will find out if I am dying.. assuming "the other department" remembers to ring me ;)

Its a continual cycle of waste and cost that really can be fixed by low level management and staff.. As another patient commented to the Dept head when I was there.. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and in most cases.. doesn't care..

Edit - I should add for clarity.. the vast majority of staff I encountered were wonderful.. they work hard and long hours (somewhat headless chicken though). However the bulk of their issues, pain and waste is caused by this department by department isolation that means 10 people across different departments need to be involved in getting a clean towel for a guy who hasnt been washed in a week.. because walking across and grabbing it from the shelf 50 feet away would cause organisational uproar and cannot be allowed to happen. His well being or concern is not part of the equation.. I have never worked for an organisation globally (in over 30 years) who have ever considered working like that, nor would it be tolerated.

Some great info there Welease.
    Based on your posts, it seems reform has to start at the very, very top.
    It looks like everyone is terrified of union action or a demarcation dispute.

The order has to come from the Minister himself, down to the HSE Chief and Union bosses, then down the chain of command.

I remember hearing from relatives that they wouldn't be allowed to change a light-bulb themselves or adjust the time on a wall clock in their own office themselves!!

It's little wonder they're so incredibly inefficient, but it must also be very demoralising having your work constantly obstructed in this way.

p.s. hope your health improves

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Some great info there Welease.
    Based on your posts, it seems reform has to start at the very, very top.
    It looks like everyone is terrified of union action or a demarcation dispute.

The order has to come from the Minister himself, down to the HSE Chief and Union bosses, then down the chain of command.

I remember hearing from relatives that they wouldn't be allowed to change a light-bulb themselves or adjust the time on a wall clock in their own office themselves!!

It's little wonder they're so incredibly inefficient, but it must also be very demoralising having your work constantly obstructed in this way.

p.s. hope your health improves

But thats the kicker that everyone must remember.. the union IS the staff... its the staff who cause their own problems (by illogical process etc).. its the staff who enforce demarcation.. and its the staff who will walk out on strike if their (or patients) lives were attempted to be made easier (albeit guided by the unions (who are the same staff)).. but it's also the staff who complain that the system is a mess and causing them issues (and making many of them leave each year)...

At some stage, those very same staff need to be held accountable for how the system is being run.. because they are 99% of the staff/unions/low level managers within the HSE, and they could demand the implementation of any positive changes they desired immediately and deliver it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

S
    Why ...
    Why ...
    Why ...

Because it's a public sector hospital with no real ethos to streamline issues.

I also recall this: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0816/stjames.html

By the way even many of the inefficient practices mentioned are synonomous with public hospitals they are also to be found in private hospitals. I was in a private hospital recently and given a form to fill in personal details. I filled in and handed it back ... no issue. However the guy in the bed beside me was in his 80s and had hearing/sight issues and wasn't able to complete the form himself so a nurse helped him. She wasn't Irish and it became a bloody pantomine with him trying to make her understand what he was saying and she having to repeat questions over an over again. Its terrible though because his personal details were hollered all around the ward. That was bad enough in itself but he required multiple procedures and therefore it seemed required multiple forms to be completed. So the first episode was repeated a further 2 times. By the 3rd time I was fit to be tied although he didn't seem to mind. Luckily I had an MP3 player with me and managed to drown out the process.

• Advertisement

Because it's a public sector hospital with no real ethos to streamline issues.

In fairness to the hard working staff i think its somewhat more complicated than that.

Junior doctors etc. have to work rediculous hours.. Nurses work long shifts (12 hours) and barely get a second to take breath.. Many earn every penny they get and more..

The point i am making is that there is something in their organisational manner that forces them to create their own issues, suffer those issues (along with the patients obviously), but surprisingly also make them very slow in any attempts to resolve the issues (and thats not unique to the public sector, many private companies suffer the very same issues).

By the way even many of the inefficient practices mentioned are synonomous with public hospitals they are also to be found in private hospitals. I was in a private hospital recently and given a form to fill in personal details. I filled in and handed it back ... no issue. However the guy in the bed beside me was in his 80s and had hearing/sight issues and wasn't able to complete the form himself so a nurse helped him. She wasn't Irish and it became a bloody pantomine with him trying to make her understand what he was saying and she having to repeat questions over an over again. Its terrible though because his personal details were hollered all around the ward. That was bad enough in itself but he required multiple procedures and therefore it seemed required multiple forms to be completed. So the first episode was repeated a further 2 times. By the 3rd time I was fit to be tied although he didn't seem to mind. Luckily I had an MP3 player with me and managed to drown out the process.

Absolutely.. this is not a public vs private issue.. there are as many private companies (non health also) with similar organisational issues. The surprise with the HSE is why such a well funded and supported organisation continues to create issues for it's staff (and patients), and why those staff also continue to delay the implemenation of fixes for their issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Stroke victims needing MRI scans after 5pm must wait till the next day despite the loss of the ' golden hours ' immediately after their stroke, why ? Unions will not agree to improved hours..
    Is that still the case? I would sue the HSE and take a civil case against whatever union was involved if someone belonging to me had a stroke and was not seen to promptly because of BS like that.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is that still the case? I would sue the HSE and take a civil case against whatever union was involved if someone belonging to me had a stroke and was not seen to promptly because of BS like that.

Last I heard it still was the case alright. Possibly may change with the much-vaunted Croke Park Agreement and the ' commitment ' to changed work practices.

Early MRI is vital in stroke victims - there are 2 types of strokes - one is haemorrhagic and the other more common one is caused by a clot . The problem is that the treatments for the 2 stroke types are completly opposite and if the type of stroke is mis-diagnosed then the treatment could actually kill the patient. Example - a patient has a Haemorrhagic stroke but it is mis-diagnosed as being caused by a clot , the patient gets a ' clot buster ' drug that effectively thins the blood and makes the bleeding worse = RIP.

Early MRI is vital in diagnosing the stroke , it's absence may explain the poor stroke recovery rate in Ireland as the clot busters work best if given in the first hours immediately after a stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm unfortunately well versed in strokes. My father died from one. Fortunately he was in NI and got excellent care at the time, in Enniskillen.

Yes and No

Yes and No again.

To limit the role of senior management to being merely: “responsible for dictating direction” is letting them off the hook. Granted you have a point that senior management alone can’t drive change by force and that change has to be driven by all staff members.

I don’t agree that “no single entity can be held responsible for fix it (because they can't alone)”. Through the democratic process in this country, Dr Reilly as minister has been entrusted with the mandate from the electorate to fix the Health Service. Certainly, he alone can’t do it, but that buck stops with him to initiate the change process and work with the key people involved to see it through.

One needs to keep in mind that survival is not compulsory and that to survive as a country on a much reduced budget, change is necessary – no matter how painful that may be.

My point is that the initiative for change has to start at the top – with Minister Reilly. Bad systems and processes will not change themselves. The process of change includes engaging with the unions to find ways to deliver better service for less money (including dealing with the thorny issues of restrictive practices, work demarcation and overstaffing).

One beneficial effect of the current recession is that it provides the climate needed to initiate long overdue business transformation in the health service. Shrinking availability of funds over the next few years gives us very little choice but to tackle growing problems that have been long-fingered for decades. The alternative of cutting services to preserve vested interests is unthinkable for the majority of Irish citizens and is no longer a soft “viable” option.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭mm_surf

By the way even many of the inefficient practices mentioned are synonomous with public hospitals they are also to be found in private hospitals.

Not all private hospitals. Bon Secours, in Cork, for example, has a great track record in introducing efficiency improvements (through Lean/6 Sigma type projects)

However, a real bugbear is that many of the functions of the "private" health treatment is carried out through "public" hospitals - and subject to the same costs and inefficiencies. And the cost slapped straight onto premia for people with health insurance.

But perhaps the most incredulous result of our current state of affairs is what happens when "senior management" tell a hospital the budget overrun has to stop. Patient treatment stops!

It's the equivalent of Intel cutting costs by making less of those pesky, expensive computer chips!

When patient treatment stopping is used to cut costs ahead of any other solution, that's when it stops being a health service. And if it isn't a health service, why is is being used?

M.

Last I heard it still was the case alright. Possibly may change with the much-vaunted Croke Park Agreement and the ' commitment ' to changed work practices.

Early MRI is vital in stroke victims - there are 2 types of strokes - one is haemorrhagic and the other more common one is caused by a clot . The problem is that the treatments for the 2 stroke types are completly opposite and if the type of stroke is mis-diagnosed then the treatment could actually kill the patient. Example - a patient has a Haemorrhagic stroke but it is mis-diagnosed as being caused by a clot , the patient gets a ' clot buster ' drug that effectively thins the blood and makes the bleeding worse = RIP.

Early MRI is vital in diagnosing the stroke , it's absence may explain the poor stroke recovery rate in Ireland as the clot busters work best if given in the first hours immediately after a stroke.

I know Im harping on about the public/private mix but it was my understanding and have also experienced this where if you are private to your consultant you have access to 'after hours' diagnositcs. Not sure if that applies to MRI scans but it certainly applies to some diagnostic services.

Both :)

Well Yes, Yes and Maybe but not exactly (we are getting closer wink.gif)
    Yes and No again.

To limit the role of senior management to being merely: “responsible for dictating direction” is letting them off the hook. Granted you have a point that senior management alone can’t drive change by force and that change has to be driven by all staff members.

I don’t agree that “no single entity can be held responsible for fix it (because they can't alone)”. Through the democratic process in this country, Dr Reilly as minister has been entrusted with the mandate from the electorate to fix the Health Service. Certainly, he alone can’t do it, but that buck stops with him to initiate the change process and work with the key people involved to see it through.

One needs to keep in mind that survival is not compulsory and that to survive as a country on a much reduced budget, change is necessary – no matter how painful that may be.

I agree with you up to here, but I would slightly argue that its also the HSE's job to identify and implement change.. If we need Rielly to tell them not to make and deliver dinners to patients that are not in the hospital etc. then the whole staff chain needs to be replaced.

My point is that the initiative for change has to start at the top – with Minister Reilly. Bad systems and processes will not change themselves. The process of change includes engaging with the unions to find ways to deliver better service for less money (including dealing with the thorny issues of restrictive practices, work demarcation and overstaffing).

One beneficial effect of the current recession is that it provides the climate needed to initiate long overdue business transformation in the health service. Shrinking availability of funds over the next few years gives us very little choice but to tackle growing problems that have been long-fingered for decades. The alternative of cutting services to preserve vested interests is unthinkable for the majority of Irish citizens and is no longer a soft “viable” option.

And this is where I was trying to highlight the issue in Ireland that everyone seems to prefer to throw the glaze upwards and blame senior staff (Rielly, Consultants etc.) and tell us how overworked many of the HSE staff are (which they are).. They are overworked and running around in circles because they choose (via their unions which they control) to delay or refuse to implement required changes and continue to embrace restrictive work practices, work demarcation and overstaffing. Rielly can suggest all he wants (and while I am not a fan of his), it has not been his fault that the HSE have continued to fall well short of changes required (as they did with previous ministers and experts). You could swap Rielly out tomorrow and put in anyone, and you will continue to see exactly the same reaction until staff within the HSE en masse decide to start driving change through the organisation.

Well Yes, Yes and Maybe but not exactly (we are getting closer wink.gif)

I agree with you up to here, but I would slightly argue that its also the HSE's job to identify and implement change.. If we need Rielly to tell them not to make and deliver dinners to patients that are not in the hospital etc. then the whole staff chain needs to be replaced.

Agreed, we don't need Dr Reilly or his replacement (as now looks more likely with all the current private distractions) to get involved with the tactical side of service delivery. I believe the problem lies more on the strategic side of focusing on the goal of improved customer care with less money and bringing unions and staff along on the journey to achieve that goal. That's the leader's job, not getting bogged down in detail.
    And this is where I was trying to highlight the issue in Ireland that everyone seems to prefer to throw the glaze upwards and blame senior staff (Rielly, Consultants etc.) and tell us how overworked many of the HSE staff are (which they are).. They are overworked and running around in circles because they choose (via their unions which they control) to delay or refuse to implement required changes and continue to embrace restrictive work practices, work demarcation and overstaffing. Rielly can suggest all he wants (and while I am not a fan of his), it has not been his fault that the HSE have continued to fall well short of changes required (as they did with previous ministers and experts). You could swap Rielly out tomorrow and put in anyone, and you will continue to see exactly the same reaction until staff within the HSE staff en masse decide to start driving change through the organisation.

I don't just prefer to "throw the glaze upwards and blame senior staff". All I'm saying is that leadership and management has to start at the top. Dr. Reilly's performance up to now is showing little evidence of progress in giving us all the health service we want and that he signed up to deliver.

As regards swapping the minister for someone else ..... isn't that what a lot of people said in the months before Chamberlain was replaced by Churchill in 1940. Nobody would claim that Churchill alone won the war, but he did initiate the changes necessary to enable his people to produce victories, starting with the Battle of Britain, leading to El Alamein 29 months later and, finally VE Day in 1945 (with lots of external help from the Yanks).

The point is he initiated the changes ........ The Minister for Health, regardless of who this is, has to do likewise.:)

• Advertisement

I don't just prefer to "throw the glaze upwards and blame senior staff". All I'm saying is that leadership and management has to start at the top. Dr. Reilly's performance up to now is showing little evidence of progress in giving us all the health service we want and that he signed up to deliver.

Apologies, that was not meant as a sly dig, and was defintely not directed at you.. It was a general loose comment.
    As regards swapping the minister for someone else ..... isn't that what a lot of people said in the months before Chamberlain was replaced by Churchill in 1940. Nobody would claim that Churchill alone won the war, but he did initiate the changes necessary to enable his people to produce victories, starting with the Battle of Britain, leading to El Alemein 29 months later and, finally VE Day in 1945 (with lots of external help from the Yanks).

The point is he initiated the changes ........ The Minister for Health, regardless of who this is, has to do likewise.:)

But the counter point is that those changes were accepted and implemented which drove success.
    In this case, the HSE staff refuse to implement many of the changes required. Look at the amount of committee's, strike ballots, demarcation, overstaffing, pickets etc etc etc in place to ensure that minimal changes happen. There is a colossal difference!

Apologies, that was not meant as a sly dig, and was defintely not directed at you.. It was a general loose comment.

Accepted, I agree that everyone in the Health Service has to play their part, not just top management. That said, change has to come from the top and someone has to be responsible. Expecting everyone to take charge is ridiculous and just means no one is in charge. Leadership has to start somewhere and that is where the minister has to come in.
    But the counter point is that those changes were accepted and implemented which drove success.
    In this case, the HSE staff refuse to implement many of the changes required. Look at the amount of committee's, strike ballots, demarcation, overstaffing, pickets etc etc etc in place to ensure that minimal changes happen. There is a colossal difference!

Indeed, and it's the minister's job to make that happen. All the rest is excuses for inaction and the biggest colossal difference is that our minister hasn't bombs raining down on his cities.

He needs to get the finger out quickly ... or maybe his time has passed as he seems unable to keep his personal issues out of the picture. This is, perhaps, hardly a good starting point for getting other people to change;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I think people with these stories should send them on to the Unions and ask them why the public sector are getting 300 million in increments when the country is bankrupt and people are suffering this hardship.

They deserve thier increments...and plenty more besides.

Of course people wander into A&E departments all the time suffering from nosebleeds and demand to see overworked doctors...drunks staggering in demanding immediate treatment because they fell and split thier head open...drug addicts abusing staff and requiring security to restrain them untill Gardai arrive.

Do YOU fancy changing pus-soaked bandages,emptying colostomy bags and sweeping blood off a floor for 12 hours per day? Do you fancy doing it for 25 grand a year for the rest of your life?

Of course you dont..if you did you'd have volunteered for the Public Sector yourself..in the meantime shut up and let people earn the wage they're entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

In this case, the HSE staff refuse to implement many of the changes required. Look at the amount of committee's, strike ballots, demarcation, overstaffing, pickets etc etc etc in place to ensure that minimal changes happen

Some unions may well be obstructive, but now is the time to address this. However management must produce realistic proposals, and this requires some committees. A few months ago there was a union person on the radio who said that in some hospitals there had been significant rearrangements under the CPA, and these had kept things going. But in others no plan for improvements under the CPA had even been proposed :mad:

The HSE has to produce proposals that actually change things, rather than just give the appearance of doing something. They need to bring the majority of people along with them and isolate obstructionists. This is called management, there are a lot of "managers" who don't seem to think this is their job.

This is also a role for IT, for instance in calender and appointment systems, these can also provide data for better planning. There is little evidence of basic financial control at present never mind advanced analytics.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Some unions may well be obstructive, but now is the time to address this. However management must produce realistic proposals, and this requires some committees. A few months ago there was a union person on the radio who said that in some hospitals there had been significant rearrangements under the CPA, and these had kept things going. But in others no plan for improvements under the CPA had even been proposed :mad:

The HSE has to produce proposals that actually change things, rather than just give the appearance of doing something. They need to bring the majority of people along with them and isolate obstructionists. This is called management, there are a lot of "managers" who don't seem to think this is their job.

This is also a role for IT, for instance in calender and appointment systems, these can also provide data for better planning. There is little evidence of basic financial control at present never mind advanced analytics.

Absolutely.. I couldn't agree more.. Everything you said will benefit both staff and patients, and is 100% achieveable by staff/managers in the HSE alone.

I'm just asking for the same questions to be asked of unions/managers/staff within the HSE that people are quiet rightly asking of the government and previous health ministers. When both step up to the plate, we will see amazing results.

ardmacha wrote: »
    The HSE has to produce proposals that actually change things, rather than just give the appearance of doing something.
    100% achievable by staff/managers in the HSE alone.

But isn't this the flaw in the current plan?
    i.e. expecting the HSE to regulate/motivate themselves?

Experience has shown countless times that this will not happen unfortunately.

Who should drive it?

But isn't this the flaw in the current plan?
    i.e. expecting the HSE to regulate/motivate themselves?

Experience has shown countless times that this will not happen unfortunately.

Who should drive it?

But isn't that what a considerable % of HSE employees are paid to do? (3:1 management ratio according to previous HSE poster on here.. considering that managers manage managers as you move up the scale.. thats a colossal # of people paid to "manage".).

I expect any organisation to try and regulate/motivate themselves to deliver to requirements, if management or staff cannot do this then there should be penalties (incl. removal) for this (and bonus's for doing so... not a flat increment system). If I managed a restaurant and the staff refused to deliver food out to customers, customers (and owner) would rightly expect me to remedy the situation up to and including replacing those staff members, and they would be in the vast majority of well run organisations around the world. If the chef's didnt get paid because we took no receipts, i would expect them to force the issue with me...

Now of course, large organsational control isn't that simple and there will always be less than efficient methods and issues which fall below an immediate necessity to fix, there also needs to be extra "inefficient" process sometimes to ensure nothing is missed by accident (for health reasons).. Thats all somewhat acceptable although not always desireable.

In this case though many of the remedies actually solve staff issues but staff are stopping the removal of their issues (overstaffing in Admin forcing understaffing in direct care provision.. restrictive work practices forcing extra loads on already overworked staff, demarcation forcing extra loads, delays and cost cuts on already overstretched departments etc.).. It is in their best interests to fix the system they have implemented (if even to make their lives easier). If they can't do this, or are unwilling to do so then I do believe it's time to start removing those people.

If we have no issue removing ministers who cannot perform the job, why should there be an issue removing managers/staff who are also not up to the task? Rielly needs to get his backside in gear and issue strong guildelines, and Management/Staff in HSE need to deliver to those (and be allowed to miss certain targets if acceptable issues were uncovered and remedy plans identified).

TL;DR - Anyone who is paid to "manage" or "implement" within the Health system has a responsibility to meet defined requirements and implement sensible policy.. If it doesnt make sense, causes you issues or wastes time/money... FIX IT!

Example (albeit a few years old) - 6 years of "discussion" and the issue still couldn't be resolved between HSE staff, management & committee's. It would appear neither the management or staff were capable of meeting requirements, so why continue to employ them? I bet the motivated staff who feel forced to leave the HSE each year because of rubbish like this would be glad to come back a fitter organisation.. I also going to assume each and every employee/manager made the performance grade (where relevant) and continue to obtain increments. How? or more importantly why? If I refused to deliver to requirements and took unofficial tea breaks that caused problems, I would/could not be given a raise.. I would be under supervision and specific controls which if not met would result in my removal...
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2007/1106/ireland/hse-blames-nurses-hours-for-loss-of-theatre-time-47108.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Degsy wrote: »
    Do YOU fancy changing pus-soaked bandages,emptying colostomy bags and sweeping blood off a floor for 12 hours per day? Do you fancy doing it for 25 grand a year for the rest of your life?

Of course you dont..if you did you'd have volunteered for the Public Sector yourself..in the meantime shut up and let people earn the wage they're entitled to.

Who's doing that for 25 grand a year for life? Please don't tell me nurses....

TL;DR - Anyone who is paid to "manage" or "implement" within the Health system has a responsibility to meet defined requirements and implement sensible policy.. If it doesnt make sense, causes you issues or wastes time/money... FIX IT!

Agree, but that is the existing criteria...as far as they're concerned, they are already fully compliant, and the government have approved up to this point. Bit like asking a deaf person to sing.

It has to be some group from outside that culture. Some group from the Anti-HSE.
    That group has to define sensible requirements and force through sensible policy.
    That someone cannot be the HSE management/Union Bosses - they can only ensure it is implemented.

It ought to be the Health Minister, but this is a government with no spine for reform, so he should appoint some group to tackle it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Agree, but that is the existing criteria...as far as they're concerned, they are already fully compliant, and the government have approved up to this point. Bit like asking a deaf person to sing.

It has to be some group from outside that culture. Some group from the Anti-HSE.
    That group has to define sensible requirements and force through sensible policy.
    That someone cannot be the HSE management/Union Bosses - they can only ensure it is implemented.

It ought to be the Health Minister, but this is a government with no spine for reform, so he should appoint some group to tackle it for him.

That is simply not going to happen.
    Even if you did have a proper independent, complete, thorough, root and branch examination of the entire HSE it would not be possible to implement the vast majority of its likely recommendations.

Anyone identified as surplus would have to stay because that is the way it is.
    If pay adjustments up and down for various staff were recommended only the pay increases could be implemented because that is the way it is.
    If wholesale changes to work practices were suggested these would most likely not happen or would do so at a snails pace because if staff and the unions object then there is no effective sanction to force implementation.

Those are the things that any other organisation would do if faced with a similar crisis because it would have to. Indeed many organisations do this routinely even when not in crisis because layers of fat grow and wasteful and inefficient practices appear in most organisations over time.
    But of course the HSE does not really have to do any of this.

Of course it could be done if there was political will but there is not and the will not be. We will carry on as we are.

I see the troika have focused in on the HSE overspend and have requested that it is sorted by their next review.
    What will we do? Take proper reform seriously? I think not.
    What chance another untargeted round of early retirements just to destroy services a little bit more and trumpet more payroll savings.

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    That is simply not going to happen.
    Even if you did have a proper independent, complete, thorough, root and branch examination of the entire HSE it would not be possible to implement the vast majority of its likely recommendations.

Anyone identified as surplus would have to stay because that is the way it is.
    If pay adjustments up and down for various staff were recommended only the pay increases could be implemented because that is the way it is.
    If wholesale changes to work practices were suggested these would most likely not happen or would do so at a snails pace because if staff and the unions object then there is no effective sanction to force implementation.

Those are the things that any other organisation would do if faced with a similar crisis because it would have to. Indeed many organisations do this routinely even when not in crisis because layers of fat grow and wasteful and inefficient practices appear in most organisations over time.
    But of course the HSE does not really have to do any of this.

Of course it could be done if there was political will but there is not and the will not be. We will carry on as we are.

I see the troika have focused in on the HSE overspend and have requested that it is sorted by their next review.
    What will we do? Take proper reform seriously? I think not.
    What chance another untargeted round of early retirements just to destroy services a little bit more and trumpet more payroll savings.

Again, most will agree with you.. and in fairness to Dannyboy83 he has stated the same as you have.. "experience shows that it won't happen." It's me being the arguementative git :)

Regarding the bolded statement above. Policital will generally reflects the will of politicians to survive. If the people of this country made political re-election dependant on the reforms required, it would happen. While we put more political will on local pot holes and local treats then thats where the priorities will be placed. Thats why I continue to have little sympathy for people who abuse or who work within and fall foul of these process.

The unions are a huge issue in the HSE as is the lousy ( and massively overpaid ) management.

An issue that has been overlooked is us - the taxpaying public .

Report after report has pointed out the health service is badly fragmented because we have too many hospitals in this country . Try and close or even downgrade a hospitals services and what happens ? Protests about it and sure they might even elect a single issue half wit like Jackie Healy-Rae to the Dail.
    Look at the fuss over the rationalistaion of cancer services and the protests about that - in fairness the HSE held firm and indeed introduced the Centres of Excellence strategy for cancer care. Its early days yet and no data has yet emerged from the strategy but I'm willing to bet that this countrys comparatively poor outcome rate for cancer will show a marked improvement under this policy.

Everyone wants a hospital with a 24 hr A+E nearby - this attitude must change . I believe we all have a part to play in the rubbish that is our health service - we tolerate a 2 tier system and cry NIMBY whenever an attempt is made to change the staus quo.
    Our poor health system is as much a product of our society as it is the unions , politicians and management.

The unions are a huge issue in the HSE as is the lousy ( and massively overpaid ) management.

An issue that has been overlooked is us - the taxpaying public .

Report after report has pointed out the health service is badly fragmented because we have too many hospitals in this country . Try and close or even downgrade a hospitals services and what happens ? Protests about it and sure they might even elect a single issue half wit like Jackie Healy-Rae to the Dail.
    Look at the fuss over the rationalistaion of cancer services and the protests about that - in fairness the HSE held firm and indeed introduced the Centres of Excellence strategy for cancer care. Its early days yet and no data has yet emerged from the strategy but I'm willing to bet that this countrys comparatively poot outcome rate for cancer will show a marked improvement under this policy.

Everyone wants a hospital with a 24 hr A+E nearby - this attitude must change . I believe we all have a part to play in the rubbish that is our health service - we tolerate a 2 tier system and cry NIMBY whenever an attempt is made to change the staus quo.
    Our poor health system is as much a product of our society as it is the unions , politicians and management.

I don't think that that is the answer (smaller number of better hospitals)

The current system is incapable of running efficiently.

In order to provide the services we want, within the budgets that we have, then one of two things needs to happen:

Option A:
    -Provide the current services for a cheaper price, and have more of them (more staff at a cheaper rate)

Option B:
    -Have the current staff provide more services for the current price (more work done for the same money)

There are no other options that I can see. Neither option A or B seems to be palatable to the people providing the services.

Under option A, the unions would strike. Already threatened to do so, as pay is protected under the CPA. (as is overtime, alluded to in recent media comments)

Under Option B, the banner cry is "we're understaffed, we can't possibly provide the services necessary". Thus more "temps" get hired. Costs soar, savings wasted.

This can be repeated across many areas in the public sector, no doubt.

I'd be delighted if there was another option, but I can't see one. It doesn't matter who is at the top of the HSE - these are the only two options - and neither can be implemented with the current culture/structure in place.

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

our health minister is a buisness man, he has meetings with his eu counterparts in exotic places, according to reports he has interests in roughly 10 buisnesses, how can he have fingers in many pies and do the work of a minister, no fcukin way jose.

mm_surf wrote: »
    I don't think that that is the answer (smaller number of better hospitals)

The current system is incapable of running efficiently.

In order to provide the services we want, within the budgets that we have, then one of two things needs to happen:

Option A:
    -Provide the current services for a cheaper price, and have more of them (more staff at a cheaper rate)

Option B:
    -Have the current staff provide more services for the current price (more work done for the same money)

There are no other options that I can see. Neither option A or B seems to be palatable to the people providing the services.

Under option A, the unions would strike. Already threatened to do so, as pay is protected under the CPA. (as is overtime, alluded to in recent media comments)

Under Option B, the banner cry is "we're understaffed, we can't possibly provide the services necessary". Thus more "temps" get hired. Costs soar, savings wasted.

This can be repeated across many areas in the public sector, no doubt.

I'd be delighted if there was another option, but I can't see one. It doesn't matter who is at the top of the HSE - these are the only two options - and neither can be implemented with the current culture/structure in place.

M.

There are plenty of other options available, and most allow more services to be provided and PS staff to maintain their normal rates (they would however remove the rediculous demarcation overtime rates like the 8 hours overtime that Electricians get for switching off false Fire Alarms), and would also decrease the amount of understaffing in place.

My original of the top of my head list of issues i noticed in 1 week in Beaumont (posted previously) are easily solveable and most would save considerable cost to the HSE, especially when implemented across the system.
    - Not making me sit in a hospital bed for over a week when no pre-required tests have been done or organised would have saved resources and money for the HSE. There were several other patients in exactly the same boat within 50 feet of me.. How many across the hospital? Each adding to the resource requirements of nurses.. and none needed to be there. My tests could have been booked for a single 2 hour outpatient session 1 week previous, and then booked in for the operation.. 36 hours required in hospital rather than the 240 hours under this process.
    - Don't deliver food to patients who are not going to be in the hospital from morning to evening. It still gets delivered even when requested not to.
    - Organise booking and delivery of required tests for patients so we don't keep them in for weeks on end while they wait for the next test to be done.. then another.. then another..each a week apart.
    - Got a get the towel from the press 50 yards away. Do not extend the process for 3 hours, constantly paging the department, who need to page someone else, who needs to page someone else.. while the first person pages the second person to check why they still dont have the towel, and more important tasks back up becuase people are chasing up each other for a variety of tasks that take 30 seconds to complete.
    - Organise schedules for staff and patients so they actually make sense, and one or the other is not wasted and needs to be rebooked.
    etc etc etc.

If half of those issues were addressed (easily done) then PS staff would keep their pay rates and instantly lower the resouce requirements (and improve patient care)...

• Advertisement

There are plenty of other options available, and most allow more services to be provided and PS staff to maintain their normal rates (they would however remove the rediculous demarcation overtime rates like the 8 hours overtime that Electricians get for switching off false Fire Alarms), and would also decrease the amount of understaffing in place.

I'm always amazed when I hear these issues .. how could anyone justify this kind of practice. If people are aware of these practices why aren't they shouting from the rooftops to remove specific madcap practices. Instead we hear the sweeping generalisations .. evetyone is overpaid ... everyone is lazy and incompetent. It seems to me even from the contributions in this thread alone that much could be done to improve everyones lot by the removal of sharp and uncousciousable practices that exit in certain parts/within parts of the public sector. Its high time this was targeted and pressure brought to bear on those who resist this change. It simply not defensible! .. CPA or no CPA!

I'm always amazed when I hear these issues .. how could anyone justify this kind of practice. If people are aware of these practices why aren't they shouting from the rooftops to remove specific madcap practices. Instead we hear the sweeping generalisations .. evetyone is overpaid ... everyone is lazy and incompetent. It seems to me even from the contributions in this thread alone that much could be done to improve everyones lot by the removal of sharp and uncousciousable practices that exit in certain parts/within parts of the public sector. Its high time this was targeted and pressure brought to bear on those who resist this change. It simply not defensible! .. CPA or no CPA!

Well in that particular case change was attempted.. it was the employees and unions who refused to allow change to happen (TEEU) while other union members/staff refused to pass the picket (Unite/UCATT) causing further issues (including the effective closure of Technical Services department twice).
    Other HSE hospitals allow a large variety of staff to control the fire alarms (incl. the security staff), so there was no valid reason why this issue should occur in St. James.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sparks-fly-in-hospital-fire-alarms-row-2290589.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0810/electricians.html

From the TEEU website..The TEEU members shut down services twice because..

"TEEU members objected to these proposals because: ·

· Electricians at the hospital have always maintained and carried out activities involving Fire Alarms and are the appropriately qualified people to do so

· The normal dispute resolution procedures, including involvement of third parties, have not been exhausted

· Unilateral dilution of the role of TEEU members at the hospital will open the door to the transfer of other work and duties."

http://www.teeu.ie/news/showtest.asp?id=365

In short.. any attempt at remove of restricive work practices or demarcation will result in the removal of services via pickets, plus the closure of additional services by other unions members not crossing pickets..

Having seen first hand how Unions operate, this is exactly how my Option B would be received.
    You can remove demarcation all you like, but the response will be "I'm busy enough with my own work, now you can't expect me to have the time to do someone elses as well!!!!"

I can give you an exact example from a hospital that I attended for two years at a monthly clinic.

About 20-30 people at each clinic. All had a 2pm appointment time. Everyone. Took about 2-3 hours to get through everyone. So instead of spacing it out over the time, say giving everyone an appointment 5-10 minutes apart, everyone has to sit and wait.

HSE thinking - everyone gets seen as fast as possible, this is the best way to do it. Specialists not waiting for people to come in.

"So what?" says you. People waiting, no big deal. Doesn't cost the state anything.

Except the waiting room has to be bigger (more people waiting)
    Car park has to be bigger. (more people arriving at the same time)
    More toilets needed (more people waiting around)

So far, no real impact. Sure, efficiencies could be found, small savings to be got.

However, like many clinics, tests have to be done before the clinic (in my case, a visit to have bloods taken by the Phlebotomist)

Me and 20-30 other people. At the same time. 20-30 samples sent to the lab. At the same time. 20-30 results being printed and put in charts. At the same time.

I've been past the Phlebotomist plenty of times outside of the clinic hours, and its always either boom or bust. Either at least a dozen waiting, or none.

Here's where the poor timing of appointments is causing the waste:
    -Instead of the workload of one Phlebotomist spread out over time, two are need as everyone is there at the same time. Ditto the lab staff.

Similar situations may exist for other clinics (off the top of my head, I'd imagine there may be other bottlenecks with radiographers, sonographers, etc.)

Phlebotomists are relatively cheap on the payscale for medical professionals (start at approx €30k), lab staff about €20-25k.

So by not spreading out clinic appointments, it could be costing an extra €50k+ a year.

With savings like that to be made, why aren't they?

Because the extra staff "liberated" by the efficiency can't be got rid of due to the CPA.

M.

mm_surf wrote: »
    With savings like that to be made, why aren't they?

Because the extra staff "liberated" by the efficiency can't be got rid of due to the CPA.

M.

Because there is no demand for those efficiencies to be made.. and no punishment or benefit given for making those efficiencies.. Thats what needs to change, between Rielly and Management/Staff. Those who won't change need to be removed. When we have a situation that we continue to allow employees to decide what they will and won't do, then I firmly believe that we need to remove all of those who allow that to happen.

The extra staff don't necessarily need to be gotten rid of. The majority of overstaffing happens in Admin roles, and a large degree (accoring to Sean McGrath - previous HSE HR director) is the creation of process which delays the delivery of health services. As per my previous point, move those Admin staff across to the holistic administration of consultant, service and patient calendars to allow the minimum time for a patient to be in hospital. This free's up front line resources, and saves large amounts of financial and physical resources.

Just because a bed exists, our current process demands that it needs to be filled even if (as in mine and other cases) no medical treatment is required (although the bed needs to be made, food delivered, towels delivered, blood pressure taken etc etc etc which overload nurses). If I do not need to be in hospital, manage our holistic calendars so that bed is left empty, I have my tests done as an outpatient in a single day (or minimum timeframe) and the HSE does not incur a cost. Filling the bed when services (tests etc.) are not available adds no value to the HSE or patient.

End result, people maintain employment.. can continue to receive their agreed wages, overstaffing issues are lessened, understaffing issues are addressed, and the HSE makes a large dent in the cost savings required.

Edit - Obviously there are many other changes that can be made.. The point is to redesign the system so that resource is used productively rather than negatively.. and more importantly for those who manage the systems to start managing the system/employees and be removed if that proves beyond their skill set or desires.

Stroke victims needing MRI scans after 5pm must wait till the next day despite the loss of the ' golden hours ' immediately after their stroke, why ?

Unions will not agree to improved hours.

I still can't get over this one to be honest.
    They're effectively killing people.

How do they live with that? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

When I started off my career in IT, I was working on a helpdesk.
    It was manned 24/7 and nobody was at risk of dying...

The Unions have fcuking ruined this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement