Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in UCD in September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rokeefe

Ahh I see, I get mine of the 16th, getting scared! And yeah, but I'm really far down on the list like 2500 or something because I didn't realise about you having to book it! :/ have you? And what is your second choice if you don't get in?[/Quote]
    I don't really understand how if u did ur a-levels that u hope to get 570??? I thought u could only do 3/4 subjects?? I haven't booked yet, I wouldn't be worried about the waiting list. The probability of all those people getting their course is 0(an impossibility). I haven't really thought what I'll do if I don't get it, maybe I'll repeat:-/ what about u, what's ur second choice?? What accommodation r u on the waiting list 4????

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

Rokeefe wrote: »
    I don't really understand how if u did ur a-levels that u hope to get 570??? I thought u could only do 3/4 subjects?? I haven't booked yet, I wouldn't be worried about the waiting list. The probability of all those people getting their course is 0(an impossibility). I haven't really thought what I'll do if I don't get it, maybe I'll repeat:-/ what about u, what's ur second choice?? What accommodation r u on the waiting list 4????

Yeah most people do 3 a-levels, but cao converts 6 leaving cert subjects to 4 a-levels, so i've done 4. So if i got an a* in all of them i'd get 600, but it's so hard to get an a*.
    And i know that all 2500 before me won't end up going, but there's only room for 750 ish i think, so that is a lot of people who would have to end up not going, plus i'm not going to get a get choice if loads are choosing before me.
    My second choice is science, but not sure if i'd end up doing it or re-apply next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blatherslog

Anyone looking for someone to fill a space in houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Do Science! Its great craic.. i could end up being your mentor.. you never know! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Do Science! Its great craic.. i could end up being your mentor.. you never know! haha

Niall, this may end up happening.. we'll see in a few days haha :pac:

oh and then I may get to see the Nagginmaster in action ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I've applied and hoping to study veterinary medicine at UCD in September, really want to get in! anyone else for veterinary??

Yeah, I'm hoping for Veterinary too! I'm so nervous!

Niall, this may end up happening.. we'll see in a few days haha :pac:

oh and then I may get to see the Nagginmaster in action ;)

Kill me..
    who are you anyway? :) We're obviously friends on facebook if you know about that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Kill me..
    who are you anyway? :) We're obviously friends on facebook if you know about that :/

Georgey baby ring a bell? haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

Well done to everyone who got their results today! I'm hoping to stay in Merville. I heard that some of the appartments are new. Which number should I look out for to get one of these?

ya dont want a new apartment in merville.. they only have a hob and no oven.. the old apartments have ovens but i forget which numbers they are..
    Just go for belgrove sure.. much more first yeary and way better craic.. plus youre nearer to college..
    Delighted to say i just got a house today.. ill be living away from home.. bus last year was a right killer!

• Advertisement

ya dont want a new apartment in merville.. they only have a hob and no oven.. the old apartments have ovens but i forget which numbers they are..
    Just go for belgrove sure.. much more first yeary and way better craic.. plus youre nearer to college..
    Delighted to say i just got a house today.. ill be living away from home.. bus last year was a right killer!

I think Belgrove might be a bit too much craic for me! Congrats on getting the house!

ah spose.. I thought Merville was pretty big.. and then it opens out onto UCD.. but the partments are in better condition so that is a plus :)
    Good luck with it anyway!

Flabangav wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm hoping for Veterinary too! I'm so nervous!
    did you get the points for it?

did you get the points for it?

No, I got 535, I'm going to repeat. Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭xilovejedwardx

Aoife_ wrote: »
    I'm hoping to study Law and Business in Sep and hopefully get either Roebuck/Glenomena :) Can't wait for freshers week and everything to follow ! :) Any one else doing a law/business course ?

I'm hoping to do Law and Business too! I'm looking at Merville! Can't wait!

No, I got 535, I'm going to repeat. Did you?

No i don't think so as i got 550, but i have my fingers crossed anyway! Really really wanted to go :/

Do you have to resit the whole year?

No i don't think so as i got 550, but i have my fingers crossed anyway! Really really wanted to go :/

Do you have to resit the whole year?

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. What will you do if you don't get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 summerforever

Is anyone else here doing the BCL-Matrise? Does anyone know what glenomena and roebuck hall are like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Glenomena - En-suite, microwave, 4 hob cooker but no oven. Roebuck is similar but more expensive I believe.

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/residences/

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto

So... anyone for DN150 Engineering?
    I'm generally good at making new friends; but it'd be nice to know at least ONE person at the start of the orientation week.

• Advertisement

So... anyone for DN150 Engineering?
    I'm generally good at making new friends; but it'd be nice to know at least ONE person at the start of the orientation week.

I'm going doing this. Out of interest, is there anyone here doing engineering that went to one of the project maths pilot schools? I did and I'm wondering if I'll be playing catch up on the rest of ye from the start in stuff like calculus

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. What will you do if you don't get in?

i really don't know, i thought you had to get the grades in your first sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Anyone for veterinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

gwakamoley wrote: »
    I'm going doing this. Out of interest, is there anyone here doing engineering that went to one of the project maths pilot schools? I did and I'm wondering if I'll be playing catch up on the rest of ye from the start in stuff like calculus

I'm going into 4th year Engineering, and the impression I'm getting from some lecturers is that they have had to make the calculus easier, like including the formulae on exam papers & that sort of thing. It's something that quickly becomes quite easy to you when studying Engineering because there is a lot of it.

for things like veterinary/dentistry/medicine, do all the offers come out in the 1st round, or are there some in the 2nd?

Muir wrote: »
    I'm going into 4th year Engineering, and the impression I'm getting from some lecturers is that they have had to make the calculus easier, like including the formulae on exam papers & that sort of thing. It's something that quickly becomes quite easy to you when studying Engineering because there is a lot of it.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I went (isn't it great to be referring to school in the past tense now?) to one of around 20 pilot schools though so I had paper one of project maths too and apparently there was much less calculus on our course than the old course done by the majority, especially integration. I find it hard to see the lecturers spending too much time going over material that most students will have done already.

Also, can anyone recommend a well priced laptop that will be suitable for the engineering course? I'm almost afraid to go talking to my parents about it at the moment because its even more money but if there's any specifications like a certain graphics card that I'll need then I'll have to fork out the money anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

for things like veterinary/dentistry/medicine, do all the offers come out in the 1st round, or are there some in the 2nd?

All the offers for everything come out first round, then the offers that aren't accepted are re-offered in second and third round.

So yeah, there'll be second and third round offers.

good luck for tomorrow everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

So offers become available to see online at 6am?

When's the earliest you know the points for every course 2012? I heard 2am somewhere..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

gwakamoley wrote: »
    Thanks, that's reassuring. I went (isn't it great to be referring to school in the past tense now?) to one of around 20 pilot schools though so I had paper one of project maths too and apparently there was much less calculus on our course than the old course done by the majority, especially integration. I find it hard to see the lecturers spending too much time going over material that most students will have done already.

Also, can anyone recommend a well priced laptop that will be suitable for the engineering course? I'm almost afraid to go talking to my parents about it at the moment because its even more money but if there's any specifications like a certain graphics card that I'll need then I'll have to fork out the money anyway.

One of your modules will actually be Introduction to Calculus so no worries!

You don't technically even need a laptop for Engineering. There are computer labs on campus which you can use, and quite a few lecturers don't like laptops being used in class because people are inclined to play games etc. It is handy to have one for at home since notes are online (though you could print them in college) and for doing homework & everything (but again you could do it in college). So if you want one, any will do, but you don't specifically need one.

Advertisement