Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big J1 issue

Options
  • 07-07-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

So I'm over in boston on the 12 month J1 grad visa, I've been here since the end of February. A month ago I started work with a big company in Boston.

I'm working as a contractor, the company I'm working for brought me in as a contractor as they had their internships full and wanted to keep me till the new year anyways. What this means is, I'm paid through a staffing agency/payroll partner.

So I was going filling in my DS 7002 and rang CIEE for advice and I told them about my situation. Apparently my current arrangement is a huge red flag and not allowed!! I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to resolve this but I can't see any solution.

I've decided to head home for another job at the end of September which makes my current company reluctant to bring me onto their books but they are happy to keep me till I leave. CIEE need me to be on my companies books though and not paid by an agency.

I haven't been contacted by them in a few weeks and I don't know what I can do, they said that if it doesn't get resolved I'll have to stop working. Should I just fill in the DS 7002 and send it in and hope that it just gets processed and nothing pops up. Or do I just lay low and work away and hope to get another 4-6 weeks out of it?

Has anyone been through this before? It's ridiculous, to think I might have to stop working a great job, because of such a silly stipulation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Don't ignore it and hope it goes away anyway. These things can come back to haunt you in the future if you ever want to work stateside again. Is it that the j1 doesn't allow for that type of arrangement or that ciee don't allow it? J visas can be restricted to certain categories of work, and if you are not in one of those categories due to the current situation, then your visa might not cover you to work there. Not sure what the case is with the 1 year visa though. You should definitely follow this up and fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭chats

Hi, no I'm working in financial services which is inline with my degree. I've spoken with CIEE several times and it has become extremely frustrating. It seems as though don't allow candidates to work through a staffing agency. I didn't go through an agency, it was just a convenient way for my company to take me on, I am however paid by an agency.

It is really looking like I'll have to stop working and there is no way I'll be able to get another placement before I have to go home in a few months.

I was mainly wondering if anyone knew the nuts and bolts of the process and why my situation wasn't allowed.

Advertisement