Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming thesis

Options
  • 07-07-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I'm currently doing a thesis on If/How piracy has benefited media (music, video and gaming) and I'd like to just know a few opinions on the matter just to give me some inspiration. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I've no idea how you're going to get a thesis out of the words "not at all", but I wish you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ridiculous Lee Handsome

It could be argued that combating piracy sped up the development of reasonable digital distribution services like steam and iTunes (personal opinions of either platform aside)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well a certain set of people raiding the high seas have been doing free promo for artists; that would never work unless the site was known for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

It could be argued that combating piracy sped up the development of reasonable digital distribution services like steam and iTunes (personal opinions of either platform aside)

Very true.

As someone who used to pirate, I'd agree that making media easily accessible is a great way to combat piracy.

It's a hell of a lot easier and more worthwhile to open up Netflix/Xbox Live/Steam than to download possibly harmful pirated films or games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Some games are promoted via piracy, would minecraft be as big if it wasn't easy to acquire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

DjFlin wrote: »
    Very true.

As someone who used to pirate, I'd agree that making media easily accessible is a great way to combat piracy.

It's a hell of a lot easier and more worthwhile to open up Netflix/Xbox Live/Steam than to download possibly harmful pirated films or games.

Thats one point i'll be investigating. These services have come in to almost 'legalise' consumers. Essentially, all a consumer wants is quality content when they want it thats easy to access. Piracy fufils all those criteria whereas physical content puts barriers in place. For example, look at HBO Go, where you have to be a cable subscriber to get access to shows you want to watch. Thats a barrier, an understandable one but never the less a barrier.

I personally use streaming services a lot, because I like to know that at least the creators of the content are getting something. As convergence of devices is increasing in the smartphone age, convergence of content provision needs to move with it. Its much easier for me to have a Spotify subscription and get any music song I want versus pirating it, the same goes for Netflix. I understand it doesn't apply to gaming yet with Gaikai and OnLive in their infancy, but look at how piracy has changed gaming.

To negate iOS piracy, a lot of developers put in in-app purchasing or 'freemium' gaming so pirating content isn't worth the time. Although second hand purchasing can't be called piracy, the content creator sees no profit from the sale, so online passes or subscriptions were introduced. Although online passes are arguably detrimental to gaming, subscriptions aren't given that they provide quality content. So piracy has influenced the industry to a big degree I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How about capcom supporting 2DF and GGPO which kept the fighting game scene alive so that whem SF4 came out there was a community already in place to support the game and how they have used GGPO netcode in their own games. That's just one off the top of my head.

Then there's how the only people that are archiving old games properly are pretty much pirates under current laws.

That's just two off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A certain site keeps a massive backlog of games as an archive. As Retrogamer said, they'd be seen as pirating under the law though they would have material that would have been otherwise lost along the line. They would contain sets of certain revisions, demos, and competition variations of games.

Steam is a great example of combating piracy based on their service. It was shaky at the start but the service really has come along nicely.

An example of a game that would drove people off piracy was Left 4 Dead (the sequel, mainly). The game was frequently updated most Fridays which meant those with pirated copies had to go fish out these small updates and install them manually, many times such updates would risk killing their game leaving them to reinstall everything.

Or, you could've bought the game and it's predecessor for a reasonable price against the tedious task of manually tweaking the game every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm sorry, did you not realise within a few posts that your idea was worthless and you'll never get anywhere because your idea is ****?

Well done, if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm sorry, did you not realise within a few posts that your idea was worthless and you'll never get anywhere because your idea is ****?

Well done, if not.

Was someone not loved as a child ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

One of the benefits is getting products much earlier if they are not released in your region at the time of their release in other regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Check out Gabe Newells opinion on the matter - it's very different to a lot out there.
    (He is the founder of Valve/Steam btw - the PC Giant)
    We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

You might also be interested in watching Indie Game: The Movie. Its a documentary about independent game development, and touches on this issue very well.
    Its also a good example of how things should be sold. I paid 10USD straight to the creator, I can log in at anytime, and download it in formats for PC and Mobile Devices, along with separate audio commentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Check out Gabe Newells opinion on the matter - it's very different to a lot out there.
    (He is the founder of Valve/Steam btw - the PC Giant)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem
    What he says is most certainly true however despite all of that Portal 2 was still the fifth most downloaded game that very year with well over 3m downloads on public trackers alone. There was also The Witcher 2 which despite being an utterly fantastic game, chock full of content, with additional content made available for free after launch, available on a multitude of platforms (including DRM-free GoG) and coming from a developer who has been vocal in their opposition to DRM, still saw massive piracy rates. The fact of the matter is, an extremely large group of people will still try and download your game regardless of the price, content, availability or service you provide them in general.

My opinion? There are no real intrinsic benefits to piracy, at least nothing which can't also be solved with well though out and widely available legal alternatives. The current absence of these services is, however, incredibly frustrating even more so when you can see things progressing, albeit slowly, despite certain content providers needing to be dragged kicking and screaming in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Then there's how the only people that are archiving old games properly are pretty much pirates under current laws.

Enough emphasis can not be put on this, it really is that important.

Take a CPS2 game for example. Alien Versus Predator - hasn't been ported to any console, ever.

If 'pirates' didn't back up the roms and home users didn't replace the suicide batteries on the arcade boards then you'd literally have no way of playing that game ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I'd say the biggest benefit of piracy to the various media industries it affects would be to show the creators how big of a demand there really is for their digital product when money isn't a barrier.

People like the comedian, Louis CK, saw this. He then dumped his publishing company and released his stand up recordings himself online. Selling them directly to customers for around 75% less than it would have been sold for through traditional means.

Apparently that was a real success for him. Also the recordings released this way are supposedly the least pirated of his releases, in terms of actual sales v number of pirated copies known to exist.

Now that is stand up comedy, I know. But the same principal stands for all creators of digital content. Including video games.

To put it in one sentence; piracy can show creators they can make money without having to be backed by large multinational corporations.

Of course, economically, this can be seen as losing lots of jobs in these big companies, as they become null and void. Overall, hurting the industry due to job losses. But that spare money the consumer has left after getting what they wanted for 75% less than they expected will be spent elsewhere. Maybe on more digital content, from more creators.

What this means for the media industries? More of us can potentially be professional creators, rather than professional middle men. To me anyway, this is a much better scenario for the gaming/media industry.

koHd wrote: »
    To put it in one sentence; piracy can show creators they can make money without having to be backed by large multinational corporations.

Where the fuck do you think the funding for a modern game and it's two year development cycle is going to come from without "multinational corporations"
    Kickstarter?

Get out. The louis Ck comparison is so amazingly awful it almost defies description.

Louis CK took the 'brave' step of recording content that was already worked out, that he had been paid to perform already, put it on a DVD and suddenly he's an innovator of a brave new world and apparently this applies to everyone?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder if the way that movies come out to DVD so quickly after being shown in the cinema due to the publishers wanting to sell the product before the public just pirates the film rather than wait.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder if the way that movies come out to DVD so quickly after being shown in the cinema due to the publishers wanting to sell the product before the public just pirates the film rather than wait.

I'd say so. Same with the harmonisation of worldwide release dates.

Where the fuck do you think the funding for a modern game and it's two year development cycle is going to come from without "multinational corporations"
    Kickstarter?

Get out. The louis Ck comparison is so amazingly awful it almost defies description.

Louis CK took the 'brave' step of recording content that was already worked out, that he had been paid to perform already, put it on a DVD and suddenly he's an innovator of a brave new world and apparently this applies to everyone?

Jesus wept.

Who said Louis CK took a brave step? I think I was quite clear in pointing out it was a well calculated move. Calculated using the figures for the amount of pirated copies of his previous work there was floating around. That was my entire point. Piracy shows the potential market for a digital product if money isn't an obstacle.

And why couldn't video games follow the kickstarter model, exactly? Seems like a perfect match to me.

In fact: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=card

• Advertisement

And why couldn't video games follow the kickstarter model, exactly? Seems like a perfect match to me.

So far only three games have broken the $1m marker on Kickstarter; Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns. These games are either based on existing IPs with large fan bases or from well known (and most importantly well loved) developers. As you can see, this isn't a particularly suitable model for future investment in new titles.

On top of that, when asked how much it would cost to develop/fund Psychonauts, a proper AAA title, Tim Schafer said it would cost at least $10m. This is a far fry from the kind of money people have donated on Kickstarter thus far and that's ignoring the fact that $10m is on the very low end of the development budget scale for most AAA titles.

gizmo wrote: »
    So far only three games have broken the $1m marker on Kickstarter; Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns. These games are either based on existing IPs with large fan bases or from well known (and most importantly well loved) developers. As you can see, this isn't a particularly suitable model for future investment in new titles.

On top of that, when asked how much it would cost to develop/fund Psychonauts, a proper AAA title, Tim Schafer said it would cost at least $10m. This is a far fry from the kind of money people have donated on Kickstarter thus far and that's ignoring the fact that $10m is on the very low end of the development budget scale for most AAA titles.

I'd be interested to see the breakdown of the costs for AAA titles. I would imagine these costs can be brought down once the bloated middlemen and extravagant offices are cut out.

If ever a product could be produced by people collaborating over the internet from home, a video game is it.

My brother-in-law worked on some major animated movies in the US and he done most of his work from home on his own computer. I think he only went to work in the (very large) office to get the free coke and pizza! :p

I'd be interested to see the breakdown of the costs for AAA titles. I would imagine these costs can be brought down once the bloated middlemen and extravagant offices are cut out.
    Given the fact that the average independent UK studio will spend around £4m on salaries alone over a two year period, I don't think that's possible.
    If ever a product could be produced by people collaborating over the internet from home, a video game is it.
    Actually it'd be a complete ****ing nightmare. While it may work just fine for a small group of people, when you're dealing with 50 people and above (which is around, for instance, the UK average for an independent studio) it would result in utter chaos in nearly every discipline.
    My brother-in-law worked on some major animated movies in the US and he done most of his work from home on his own computer. I think he only went to work in the (very large) office to get the free coke and pizza! :p
    I take it he didn't work for Pixar then?

By the way OP, an interesting issue to deal with in your thesis could be on what people feel is required for them to stop pirating. Is it a simple case of content needing to be more widely available? Does it have to be cheaper than current physical media? Must it be transferable to different devices in a hassle free manner?

Also, while games have digital distribution services such as Steam, Impulse, Desura etc... which have gone down rather well with gamers who like to own their content, the likes of Netflix has proven extremely successful on both sides of the Atlantic when it comes to simply streaming it. OnLive and Gaikai are poised to target this market for games but it remains to be seen how gamers will react to it. Under the right conditions (and by that I mean primairly broadband speed and/or pricing) it could also be interesting to gauge gamers reactions to such services.

Who said Louis CK took a brave step? I think I was quite clear in pointing out it was a well calculated move. Calculated using the figures for the amount of pirated copies of his previous work there was floating around. That was my entire point. Piracy shows the potential market for a digital product if money isn't an obstacle.

My fuck it does.
    All it shows is how many people want something at a price point of free.
    When you figure out how to turn a profit from no income, be sure to let us know.

Only if you've got some very strange ideas on of the cost of a modern video game. That's not even getting into what a terrible idea it would be to let the most conservative interest group in the games industry (that's 'gamers' just in case you're wondering) be the people who fund things.

Edit: Actually, i just read your other posts.... that's some grade A "alternative" thinking right there. And the "extravagant offices". There's another piece of premium nonsense. The less said about "collaborating across the internet" to make a game the better.

My fuck it does.
    All it shows is how many people want something at a price point of free.
    When you figure out how to turn a profit from no income, be sure to let us know.

I'm really unsure if you understand this point. Louis CK did turn the pirate market into a profitable market. Maybe you just don't believe he did. Fair enough. But I bought his video a few months ago myself, and it was the first media outside of video games that I've paid for in about 6 years.
    Only if you've got some very strange ideas on of the cost of a modern video game. That's not even getting into what a terrible idea it would be to let the most conservative interest group in the games industry (that's 'gamers' just in case you're wondering) be the people who fund things.

I don't get this comment. Gamers are the funders of the entire industry and always have been. What exactly do you mean?
    Edit: Actually, i just read your other posts.... that's some grade A "alternative" thinking right there. And the "extravagant offices". There's another piece of premium nonsense. The less said about "collaborating across the internet" to make a game the better.

What do you mean by "alternative" thinking?

And my point about extravagant offices if just one example of how video game development costs are bloated.

I take it you're a developer and can enlighten me on why internet collaboration will not work in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Talk to Reddit.com

Given the fact that the average independent UK studio will spend around £4m on salaries alone over a two year period, I don't think that's possible.

I'm not talking about bringing development labour costs down. That's not a bloated cost. That's a real cost. I'm interested in learning what pushes costs above £10mil for ONE game. Software and computers, the main tools of production, certainly don't.

Actually it'd be a complete ****ing nightmare. While it may work just fine for a small group of people, when you're dealing with 50 people and above (which is around, for instance, the UK average for an independent studio) it would result in utter chaos in nearly every discipline.

Definitely a possibility for problems. But what exactly is it that keeps everything so organised in an office? Can this not be recreated with network collaboration? I'm just playing Devils Advocate here BTW. Because it's clear there is a supply and demand issue facing video games due to digital media being limitless in supply and limited in demand.

Something will have to give. My own hope is games could actually make more money in the future by releasing purely digitally and selling at a much lower price point from launch. I am an optimist in this regard. I believe there is a huge market that would buy a lot more games on impulse if they launched at a really low price. I've never pirated a game the cost below €10, I've always bought it instead. It's just a matter of can a AAA game attain a sufficient market to sell that low at launch and still make a profit.
    I take it he didn't work for Pixar then?

Nope. Reel FX, who animate for DreamWorks, Sony and others.
    By the way OP, an interesting issue to deal with in your thesis could be on what people feel is required for them to stop pirating. Is it a simple case of content needing to be more widely available? Does it have to be cheaper than current physical media? Must it be transferable to different devices in a hassle free manner?

I think it's all of those. I personally find it attractive to buy digital media only when it's at a really low price, is DRM and other types of security lockdown free, and is made easy to access (ie. download as many times as I may need, in any different kind of formats that would be expected of the media in question).

I made the mistake of buying games through EA's origin service. FIFA 12 stopped working altogether after an Origin update (an update I was unaware of as I had it set to update automatically). After a bit of anger and confusion, I found out it was the update that stops FIFA working and I needed to go out of my way to find a previous version of Origin that was not downloadable directly from EA. The fact you need Origin to play FIFA really muddles the experience.
    Also, while games have digital distribution services such as Steam, Impulse, Desura etc... which have gone down rather well with gamers who like to own their content, the likes of Netflix has proven extremely successful on both sides of the Atlantic when it comes to simply streaming it. OnLive and Gaikai are poised to target this market for games but it remains to be seen how gamers will react to it. Under the right conditions (and by that I mean primairly broadband speed and/or pricing) it could also be interesting to gauge gamers reactions to such services.

Video on demand is great. And I did enjoy OnLive for the sheer wonderment of it working so well (at times). But with video games, I hate the thought that if my internet connection dropped, I couldn't play my games at all.

I'm not talking about bringing development labour costs down. That's not a bloated cost. That's a real cost. I'm interested in learning what pushes costs above £10mil for ONE game. Software and computers, the main tools of production, certainly don't.
    The reason I brought the wages issue up was because out of the $10m minimum budget, you'd already have spent over $6m on wages alone for an extremely small staff.

Then you have to factor in the development of the core tech which would drive up development time further or you could licence a third party engine which is another rather significant upfront cost. Not sure why you'd discount hardware and software though, neither the console dev kits nor the various art package are in any way cheap. There's also platform fees for the big publishers, testing and certification costs etc...

Even when you're done you need to pump money into marketing. Some may see this as bloated but conversely you often see people giving out that games are "sent out to die" by their publishers which is a direct result of little to no money being invested in marketing.
    Definitely a possibility for problems. But what exactly is it that keeps everything so organised in an office? Can this not be recreated with network collaboration? I'm just playing Devils Advocate here BTW. Because it's clear there is a supply and demand issue facing video games due to digital media being limitless in supply and limited in demand.
    The simple ability to walk over to someone's desk and see what they're talking about on-screen is lost when you remove the office environment. Collaborative meetings, whether they're code, art or design reviews, also become more difficult or downright impossible in a networked environment.

This is slightly off topic though and while it would make for an interesting debate, you'll be hard pushed to find any real figures on development budget breakdowns so you'll be relying on rough summaries like those above. :o
    I think it's all of those. I personally find it attractive to buy digital media only when it's at a really low price, is DRM and other types of security lockdown free, and is made easy to access (ie. download as many times as I may need, in any different kind of formats that would be expected of the media in question).
    You certainly wouldn't be alone in that I'd imagine. I can see the last point being an issue with content providers though, they sell you a product after all, not a service.
    Video on demand is great. And I did enjoy OnLive for the sheer wonderment of it working so well (at times). But with video games, I hate the thought that if my internet connection dropped, I couldn't play my games at all.
    Totally agree on this one. I much prefer to own the content I purchase and have it stored locally. If I had to pay a subscription in order to stream it also then I'd be totally open to that but the idea of not being able to access any of my content in the event that my internet connection drops is totally unacceptable.

The reason I brought the wages issue up was because out of the $10m minimum budget, you'd already have spent over $6m on wages alone for an extremely small staff.

Then you have to factor in the development of the core tech which would drive up development time further or you could licence a third party engine which is another rather significant upfront cost. Not sure why you'd discount hardware and software though, neither the console dev kits nor the various art package are in any way cheap. There's also platform fees for the big publishers, testing and certification costs etc...

Even when you're done you need to pump money into marketing. Some may see this as bloated but conversely you often see people giving out that games are "sent out to die" by their publishers which is a direct result of little to no money being invested in marketing.

I suppose my view of it is skewed by the fact I have been primarily thinking in terms of PC game development. All those costs you mention are fair for console games.

In my skewed vision of the future I see a universal games console, much like a pc or OnLive box, sitting in the living room in replace of Xbox, Nintendo and Playstation are now. All games are compatible and digitally delivered. Downloaded to keep, or streamed if you want instant access. If that is the case, things like expensive dev kits and publishing costs are really brought down.

I also want to point out I in no way want to see an end to the traditional game dev team working together in a shared space. I'm just interested in ways around cutting costs if needs be during this disruption to the video gaming industries model, caused by piracy .

In my optimistic view of the future though, I think the gaming industry will prosper from a new model involving digital distribution via a universal living room console selling brand new games for a max of €10 at launch. Seeing an end to traditional console manufacturers and game publishers. But a growth in game developers able to make a good living in the industry. I think piracy will have a big part in this coming about.

But I am an optimist ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

No,it couldn't.

/

Advertisement